VP's Training Journal

I haven't worked out for 2-3 weeks and now find myself surprisingly weak (could be a change in eating habits as well). Anyways, it's time to get serious again. I'll be recording my training log here as well as what I eat throughout the day because I know my diet could use some real work.

As a recent graduate, I know longer have free access to a gym so I'm going to try the bodyweight thing for awhile. Training will be based primarily around "Never Gymless" by Rosstraining.com and exercises found on bigbwii's Fruitarian Fitness forum.

I'm headed off to downtown San Diego for SIGGRAPH right now, but hopefully I'll train tonight.

Thanks for the well wishes! Here we go.. startin' it slow..

FRIDAY | August 10, 2007

Training (Conditioning & Core)

- Swam laps in the pool

- crunches, planks, and other core exercises

Diet

- 3 bowls of cereal w/ soymilk

- banana

- Annie's vegan pizza (whole)

- 2 pitas w/ hummus

SATURDAY | August 11, 2007

Training

None. Rest day.

Diet

- 2 bowls of cereal w/ soy milk (Optimum Power cereal)

- 2 pitas w/ hummus

- banana

- Trader Joe's Peanut Satay thai-in-a-box mixed w/ one block of tofu and a bunch of stir-fry veggies. Ate about 1.5-2 helpings worth

- Beers (Friends wanted to go out tonight. Might as well live this college dream before I get a job in the next 2 months)

MONDAY | August 13, 2007

Training (Strength)

- Pushups x10

- squats x20

- Pike Press x4

Sets Finished:2

Diet

- 2 bowls of cereal w/ soy milk (Optimum Power cereal)

- 2 bananas

- Jamba Juice

- Some crazy vegan dish consisting of a shredded potato base with zucchini, tomatoes, and other tasty things on top. A little salty, but not bad.

- Banana/pear smoothie infusion

Note: last night I had a vegan burrito at this spot in downtown San Diego called Pokez that was really awesome. I wasn't aware of it, but apparently there are quite a few vegan options around down here.

TUESDAY | August 14,2007

Training (Conditioning & Core)

- Too hot for running, so I went surfing for about 2 hours

- A pretty intense ab workout.

Diet

- Bowl of Optimum Power w/ soy milk

- 2 bananas

- black beans and brown rice w/ onions, celery, carrots

Crap, I think that's it. That's what happens when you wake up in the afternoon on a lazy summer day. Gotta remember to eat more!

• 3 months later...

Alright.. it's time to start working out again. I gained some weight from going vegetarian while I was in Europe for 2 months. The time and budget restrictions involved didn't lend themselves to a vegan diet, although I was surprised at the few vegan options I found popping up around europe.

Anyways.. I've lost most of the weight since eating vegan again for the last month but it's time to get in shape. My friend has been working out as well so I'll have someone to keep me in check. Right now I think I'll just be doing resistance band and bodyweight exercises since I don't have the income to pay for a gym membership yet. I'm also recovering from a broken toe which happened while I was visiting Liz in Sweden. I then backpacked across Europe on said broke toe for 3 weeks and then broke it again when I returned home since it didn't have time to heal.

We'll see what I can muster up for cardio exercises with a broken toe. I won't be tracking food intake because I haven't been eating that well since the place I'm staying at has a carnivores and it's difficult to properly prepare good meals here. One I'm settled into my own place I'm going to give the Thrive Diet a try.

• 3 months later...

I'm back on the trolley! I've been working out for the past month exercising and snowboarding and just started the P90X program yesterday (sans nutrition program). I'm not one for infomercial workouts but my friend is 3 weeks into it and has nothing but good things to say so I'm giving it a shot. Can't wait to start playing tennis again too once it stops hailing and spring actually shows up! If there's any portlanders on the forum that are up for a game of tennis please let me know!

I've also begun tracking my food intake as well on thedailyplate.com so I can take a look at the resulting information and clean up my diet if need be (and it probably needs work). I'm going to try and edge in a bit of Thrive Diet depending on finances as it tends to get spendy. HERE WE GO!

I'm glad to see you're back at it! How did Ross E.'s program work out for you? I'm a big fan of Ross. Besides having such great info on conditioning, he seems like a nice guy too. He's really cool about responding to email questions. I hope the new program works out well for you!!!

Mike

Yeah, I love his stuff too. I still wasn't at a high enough level to really take advantage of his high-intensity workout plans. I'm planning on using P90x just to see where it takes me after 90 days and then I'll be back to never gymless.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, things have been going well. Been getting a workout in almost at least 5 times a week sometimes more. I've gotten a bit slimmer and a bit of definition. Nothing to get incredibly excited about, but progress is progress.

I've been tracking my food on thedailyplate.com as well when I remember and have been working on eating more calories and eating more often. So for a month of dedicated work I seem to be doing alright. Here's to getting in shape by summer!

Good work man. Where have you been hiding out dogg? I missed you downtown this weekend.

Glad you hear you are back in action making it happen. That is good. If you want to hit up the gym or exercises in general one of these days, let me know. You know where to find me.

All the best bro!

• 11 months later...

Wow, one year break from the log, but back in action, making it happen! I was even at Whole Foods last night getting some food and saw your girlfriend who said you were out working out and I thought that was pretty sweet. She also came up to me in a small gathering of people and said "congratulations!" and that was cool so then the people around me got to hear about he documentary, the contest, etc.

yeah buddy!

Well done with the fitness!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...