Nicole's 5K

I froze my gym membership due to serious traveling-last weekend I went camping/hiking/canoeing which was awesome and after next weekend I'm out of town for work. I've still been running at least 5 times a week and I aim to start weight training after September 6.

On Saturday I'm going to run my first 5K, I feel confidant about finishing strong. I'm actually more worried that I'll pace myself too slow trying to hard not to get exhausted.

I'm noticing more about my diet, I either eat too little or too much or too much sodium. Restaurant food. Ugh. Checking in here really encourages me to fight the urges

Feeling well otherwise, that camping trip really refreshed me!

Can't wait to run the 5K!

I got third in my age group at the 5K on Saturday!

My time was 26:25 which I was impressed with (I had never timed myself before, I'll admit). I think there were 17 or 20 women in the 25-29 group, so it felt good to finish in the top three.

I'll be on the road this week but I brought my running shoes. I also packed some trail mix, fruit, and Vega so I can eat well while I'm driving from VA to MI and back.

If anyone has tips on training to run a faster 5K, I am all ears.

I was encouraged to run every other day or only three days a week in order to keep from stressing my body. Does that sound about right? I hike/bike on the days I don't run and soon I'll hit the gym for some weight training too.

Thanks to everyone for their continued encouragement as I work to improve my fitness. I feel great and am really enjoying challenging myself!

Congrats on a first effort...you should be very proud of the placing you took.

What do you want to get out of running??? If you just want to do it for fitness and have fun at the same time with small improvements then what you've been doing sounds great...but if you wanna drop time significantly and quickly then 3 days of running every week won't cut it unless you get 30 miles or more(with intervals mixed in) in those three days of running.

Congrats on a first effort...you should be very proud of the placing you took.

What do you want to get out of running??? If you just want to do it for fitness and have fun at the same time with small improvements then what you've been doing sounds great...but if you wanna drop time significantly and quickly then 3 days of running every week won't cut it unless you get 30 miles or more(with intervals mixed in) in those three days of running.

Niki Congrates on your race thats awesome

Potter I thought you would turn her into a roadie/trackie.. And tell her to throw some cycling in 4 days a week..

That's what Dave said to me when he was training me hard on the bike.. He's like don't worry I'll turn you into a trackie in no time.. I'm like no way! Back then Cycling was my worst event.. Now I think it's my strongest out of all three.. SHHHHH don't tell him that I'm hooked on the track..

It's too bad it's seasonal

Niki you should race a 10k next time.. those are fun!

Good luck to you... I wish you the best !

I'm running for fun and for the challenge. I just want to finish the races that I compete in.

I feel really fit. I played soccer and football and hiked this weekend which was awesome considering I was traveling. I've also been eating really sensibly while on the road.

I'm planning on running a half marathon on October 21 in Louisville, KY.

Since I've only been going 3 or 4 miles every other day, I'm looking for suggestions on how to move myself up to running a 13.1 miles.

I'm ready to incorporate some weight training into the routine. I have access to a pool to do laps, would that be a good way to train too?

I've been encouraged to avoid running everyday to keep the stress on my body low.

Actually the best way to keep stress on the body low is to run at a slower pace for much longer periods of time. This will build up ligaments and strengthen tendons. Resting to the point that you never strain may prevent these things from developing...meaning you can get hurt worse when you actually run the race. I can run maybe a 6:30 mile but its much easier for me to run 7 miles in an hour than it is for me to even run one fast mile. Its also much easier on the knees if you can keep off roads. I say you try taking on a mile to each run every week until you can do 8 mile runs 4-6 times a week. Once you can do 8 mile runs that often you'll be able to do 12 mile runs two days a week at only a slightly slower pace and fit 5-8mile runs in for the rest of the week. Then eventually you may be able to run 12 mile runs every day...after that you can just keep increasing. So long as you take it gradually you can run nearly every day. I know people that have been running nearly every day for over 30 years...and these are people that have been running at least 40 miles per week since they ran in high school...some do as much as 80-90 per week now without any problems because they care about volume more than pace. Its the fast running that'll kill you.

What do you want me to post??? I'm not much of a runner but I was the only field event athlete in high school and college(on my teams at least) that gave a damn about distance running. Most of my knowledge in distance running just comes from friends and listening to my HS coach who is an incredible runner/triathlete.

I'm running for fun and for the challenge. I just want to finish the races that I compete in.

I feel really fit. I played soccer and football and hiked this weekend which was awesome considering I was traveling. I've also been eating really sensibly while on the road.

I'm planning on running a half marathon on October 21 in Louisville, KY.

Since I've only been going 3 or 4 miles every other day, I'm looking for suggestions on how to move myself up to running a 13.1 miles.

I'm ready to incorporate some weight training into the routine. I have access to a pool to do laps, would that be a good way to train too?

I've been encouraged to avoid running everyday to keep the stress on my body low.

That an awesome way to change it up.. Another good way for a recovery week is to include aqua jogging. You actually build strengh without pointing any stress on you joints. Also another is go for a long hike.

Awesome advice on the running, thanks! I'm lucky to run on dirt roads, often seeing deer and turkey and little traffic

Aqua jogging sounds great too! There is a really shallow lake nearby...how deep in the water do you go in order to jog like that?

Awesome advice on the running, thanks! I'm lucky to run on dirt roads, often seeing deer and turkey and little traffic

Aqua jogging sounds great too! There is a really shallow lake nearby...how deep in the water do you go in order to jog like that?

Thanks Niki. Although I never tried aqua jogging in the lake.. I've only tried it in the pool. They usually supply a floater that you strap around your waist. And you just jog around the deep end of the pool.

If you a little more advanced you can run without the floater.

Best of luck to your racing season Niki

I've seen both running on the ground in water and running where you can't touch bottom. In college we did all our running drills in the lap pool so we could touch ground. The distance runners and injured sprinters would also use aqua joggers in the super deep diving pool.

• 3 weeks later...

Training for the half-marathon is going well, I feel great, my runs are strong and I am doing a hardy amount of weight work/crunches/lunges.

I met a personal trainer who is really going above and beyond in helping me. She invited me to join the local triathalon group. It is nice to have the support, strange to watch them eat sausage and eggs for brunch but I'll bring something delicious to share next weekend.

I also want to share some Vega samples because I am really hooked on the stuff. A couple people use whey shakes and complain that they aren't easy to digest.

I just have to figure out how to order since I got all mine from a friend in Toronto. I'll look around the site but let me know if you have any hot tips!

I love running so much, and I've always loved biking, I'm going to get a one piece swimsuit and figure out how to swim laps. Hmmm....who knows what I'll be training for next!

Training for the half-marathon is going well, I feel great, my runs are strong and I am doing a hardy amount of weight work/crunches/lunges.

I met a personal trainer who is really going above and beyond in helping me. She invited me to join the local triathalon group. It is nice to have the support, strange to watch them eat sausage and eggs for brunch but I'll bring something delicious to share next weekend.

I also want to share some Vega samples because I am really hooked on the stuff. A couple people use whey shakes and complain that they aren't easy to digest.

I just have to figure out how to order since I got all mine from a friend in Toronto. I'll look around the site but let me know if you have any hot tips!

I love running so much, and I've always loved biking, I'm going to get a one piece swimsuit and figure out how to swim laps. Hmmm....who knows what I'll be training for next!

Hi NikkiNik!

Fellow runner here! Good Luck with your half! I'm running a half this weekend. Are you following any particular training schedule? You really only need to run one long run a week. The others can still be 3-5 miles or so. It's good you found a group to train with. Sounds like you will be traing for a tri in no time!

Just wanted to let you know, Robert has a "who takes vega?" thread in The Supplements section. It includes a link to a good websit eot order vega from and if you let Robert know when you order, he will send you some freebies!!!!

Hi NikkiNik!

Fellow runner here! Good Luck with your half! I'm running a half this weekend. Are you following any particular training schedule? You really only need to run one long run a week. The others can still be 3-5 miles or so. It's good you found a group to train with. Sounds like you will be traing for a tri in no time!

Just wanted to let you know, Robert has a "who takes vega?" thread in The Supplements section. It includes a link to a good websit eot order vega from and if you let Robert know when you order, he will send you some freebies!!!!

Hi NikkiNik!

You really only need to run one long run a week. The others can still be 3-5 miles or so. It's good you found a group to train with. Sounds like you will be traing for a tri in no time!

I was pleased to find that 3-5 mile runs with one long run a week will do! Thanks for the Vega tips too!!!