Hayley's adventures in O-town

This is my first time "blogging", I guess that's a word! I'm bound to get better, so anyone that reads this, please remember that. Not much going on this Labor Day. I went to the Y to workout, and tried a new class that will be offered this fall. "Les Mills" Body Pump, it was similar to Powercuts classes, but had a different intensity to it, but it was definitely FUN! Of course at certain times I had less weight on my bar than I needed, and other times too much, but oh well.

Then for a treat I got Loma Linda vegan hotdogs,and Worthingtons chili. and watermelon. I figure every meat eater is eating hotdogs,and hamburgers that aren't good for them, at least mine are a lot healthier, and its a niice change too. Well that's been my Labor Day, hope everyone else had a good one!

Edited by hsorlando

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to have you in the blog section Welcome to the forum as well.....I've been away for days so I haven't welcomed you yet. I will be in Orlando for the Central Florida Vegetarian Festival Oct 27th. I'll be speaking there. You should totally come out to the event!

Enjoy blogging and enjoy this awesome online community

I missed my Sunday Step class with one of my favorite trainers,and the week got a lot more complicated from there. I never would have dreamed of missing the class,but I had promised to help move some furniture. Its a good thing I went because the only guy that was supposed to help conveniently didn't answer his cell phone. I've moved more than my share of furniture, in fact if I was not going to be a trainer I could probably seriously consider opening my own moving company! I'm really not kidding either. Anyway when two women go into a Uhaul place you know you're in trouble. I was not doing the driving, but was there for moral support for the driver who hates freeways, but was about to use one driving a Uhaul truck. Anyway we arrived at our destination, right around the time I should have been doing right basics, L steps, and other Step Class moves. The furniture was not too bad to lift, I definitely got a bit of a workout jumping onto the Uhaul several times, then we left. The ride back to Orlando was not as smooth as the ride out of Orlando.The truck kept bucking,which is not good when you're on a freeway with a driver who does not want to be on a freeway! Thankfully the truck would not stall until we got back to Orlando, and then it in fact stalled twice! So we did not get charged but, I did still miss my less stressful time at the gym, and I had quite a bit of added stress at that point. Monday got more stressful, but in a good way. My brother got his two baby girls back after his wife left for Texas 12 weeks ago, not planning on coming back.They're now seperated. So after Muscle Toning I met my brother, and we waited for hiis two girls to be dropped off. It was so wonderful to see my nieces, and to know they were safe again,and not getting fed meat anymore,We don't know that for a fact, but his wife is from Texas, and her whole family loves steak, so we were a bit worried. After a couple of hours both girls were back to themselves, and the older one, she's almost two had just gone to her favorite restaurant Taco Bell. She loves the bean burritoes. Right now she eats cheese, but once her Dad stops I'm sure they will all be vegans. So its been a stressful few days, but tomorrow I'll get back to my regular routine, and my favorite place to go my local Y. People think I'm strange when I'm glad to feel sore after a good workout, which I know I'll definitely have at Kickboxing tomorrow.

It's been a busy week, and I only got to the gym 4 times. As I posted before I missed Step, but I did get to Kickboxing, Latin Cardio (a dance/cardio class), Muscle Toning, and Cardio Strength, which is like M.T., but with more cardio thrown in. I'm also still working on my running skills, but this week I've had my mind on other things, so my focus was off. During the night I've been helping with my 2 nieces, my brother works 3rd shift. I hope he changes to day time soon! I have to go to his apartment to help take care of the 2 girls at night. My Mom and I have our hands full with them, I have no idea how my brother copes on his own. We're working on a schedule, and I know everyone thinks that my workouts should take a backburner for a while, but I have to be as ready as possible when I get certified as a personal trainer early next year.

Well not much is going on, but I did have a great week at the gym. So I'm back on track now. The gym is also having a contest, it's basically competing against yourself, as far as what your goals are. If you do a certain amount of running, swimming, or group exercise classes you get prizes. There's a beginner, intermediate,and Ironman challenge, which they give 6 weeks to complete. I may be finished in three. But maybe this is what I need to step it up a bit.

I am upset about something though, as far as my vegan diet goes. I enjoy going out to breakfast and having a bagel occasionally, with Tofutti cream cheese, and now found out that the bagels I've been eating in fact have an amino acid in them that is derived from animal feathers. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to find out these things, but I'm starting to think the world is against vegans and will do anything to stop them. I guess I'll just have to have my coffee at home and buy a vegan muffin from Whole Foods.

Does anyone else have people in their life that just don't understand how important it is to be able to workout. I love my family but sometimes I could strangle my brother. Until he became a Dad nothing was as important as his aspiring career in acting. And now that he's a Dad nothings as important as his two girls. I love my nieces a lot, but I have a dream,and goals that are seperate from them, namely my goal to become a fitness trainer. And in order to do this I feel it's important for me to get to the gym A LOT. I just don't want my family to think I'm selfish, hoow can achieving ones goal be a selfish thing. It shows that you want to fend for yourself, and not have others support you. Sorry I just had to get this off my chest. I am doing my very best to be a peaceful, serene vegan with no anger, but I have to get past this one issue first.

I'm over my last post. Oh Well! Not much going on, just work, the gym, errands, watching my nieces, eating, sleeping, and watching tv at night. Out of all the new shows I think the best one may be Life, except I didn't like the beginning part about the dog. I wish any animal cruelty, even on tv was outlawed. I wonder if there will ever be a time when this might happen? Doesn't seem likely with all the war, weapons, and fighting going on in the world. That's it for now.

Edited by hsorlando

I feel great, I just had the best workout. It was Cardio Strength, but was leaning towards BodyPump, since the instructor was one that just got certified for BP. Anyway I have to go return a dvd/vcr player that I just got. I hooked it up right, but technical support said it was probably defective since I couldn't record with it.. Which was the main reason I bought it, and so I can watch my old vhs tapes. I know these combos will be obsolete in a few years but for now I have a lot of movies on vhs that I would like to watch.

• 4 months later...

Well, I was going through all of my posts, I have no idea why, but I figured I'd update my other blog. Eventually I'll come up with a better name for it. The reason I brought it back is because I want to keep non gym stuff out of my fitness journal.

Since I'm not too terribly exciting lol, there won't be too many updates on my life outside of the gym. But tomorrow I'm skipping my run to get together with some other Barack Obama supporters, and watch the results for the Primaries from Texas, Ohio, and some other States. I don't get out too much, so this might be fun, or I might be completely bored out of my mind too! Either way I'm kind of getting into politics a bit, and thought it would be a good idea to meet some people. The get together I'm going to is in the same zip code as me, and has somewhere around 60 people attending. I'm guessing it must be a big house.

It was an interesting night. I was allowed to take a guest, so I took my Mom, and we were the first people there. The people hosting the event were very nice, and had a beautiful house. I didn't realize they would be feeding everyone, but there was actually food we could eat. They had indian food,and there was a rice dish, lentil bread, and some chik pea dish that were vegan. I was surprised that they knew about vegan diets. Anyway we stayed until 9pm, and then went to Whole Foods so I could pick up a few things. The party/get together got packed too, I think about 50 people showed up. I couldn't really hear the tv, but it was nice to meet some other Obama supporters. This guy who's running for congress and lives in the area also came by, and I learned a few things about Florida. Florida is number 50 for education for all the States. I knew we were among the worst, but dead last, is not good! Anyway even though I had an ok time I felt guilty for not running, but I need to try to get out more.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a reason to come to Oregon early. I found out I can help with the Obama campaign, by visiting a State that hasn't had their primary yet, and registering voters. Of course this would take money, but it would give me a chance to to travel a bit too. I think this would be an interesting adventure, and give me some more political knowledge too.

Edited by hsorlando

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long week. And it's going to be a longer weekend because I have no internet connection. We have 2 computers in the apartment, and my brother seems to think that his internet connection is more important, so at the moment I am at the Public Library on a computer. It's not entirely my brothers fault as we've had ongoing problems with our internet provider. Not to mention every time someone comes out to fix the connections they all say different things. So I see us going with another provider asap.

• 4 weeks later...

This year I actually did something for Earth day. Yesterday I went to a talk on being vegan at Dandelion Tea, they are a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. The speakers were from Vegan Outreach which I think they said they were based in Oakland, CA. It's funny I don't consider myself much of an activist, but I recognised a lot of people at the event. If this talk did one thing for me it would have to be that I should do more activist stuff, like handing out pamphlets on being vegan. Vegan Outreach has one pamphlet "Why Vegan", which I've seen quite a lot of. They also have a new one about nutrition that I've never seen before. I asked them the honey question, bacause I recently saw at Whole Foods something that said vegan, but had honey in it. I was just curious what they thought about it. But I think the question kind of got dodged, because I don't remember an answer.

I'm glad the talk inspired you to get more "active." Vegan outreach is a huge part of my life, and it's frustrating because there are so many vegetarians and vegans who really don't do anything outside of being vegan, so while I'm spending 15 hours a week volunteering/doing outreach most people just want to come to the events I've organized. Getting volunteers is really hard, so I'm sure your help and contributions would be greatly appreciated!

I really want to help reach more people and let them know about a vegan lifestyle, and you can help so many more animals too. I thought that there wasn't much going on in the Orlando area as far as animal rights, but I learned at the talk that I was wrong. So at least I wouldn't have to do it all by myself, that's mostly what has been keeping me from doing this.

Yesterday I went to the beach, for the first time in years. You'd think I'd be there every weekend since I live in Florida. Anyway I just went for the afternoon with a friend of the familys. Her son has recently become vegetarian, and would like to make the transition to being vegan, but has no help. I took a couple of pamphlets for our friend to look over, and we discussed vegetarianism, and veganism quite a bit. Anyway the beach was so nice, and the water was very warm which surprised me. Last time I went to the beach in April the ocean was still very cold, maybe it's global warming I have no idea. After we left I ended up at a restaurant I didn't really want to go to. Absolutely no vegan options except a small salad. I tried to tell her, but she thought several items would be alright, but I had said, and the waitress clarified that everything is pretty much soaked in butter, or is made with meat, since it's a southern style restaurant. But the time wasn't a complete bust as my friend learned a lot more about the world of being vegan, and can share with her son some of what she learned/realised.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was a really cool day. It was a lot of hard work but a lot of fun too. I got to hang out with Robert at the Vega Booth at the Green Expo in Orlando. I'm way to tired to go into any detail about setting up first thing this morning, because the Vega products didn't arrive until last night. Anyway it was a blast, and there was more interest in Vega than I thought there would be at this kind of event. After the convention was over we met up with some other people at Etho's Vegan Kitchen, and finally got to eat. Tomorrow it should be a little bit easier as we'll have some help at the booth, and Sunday too.

We had our last day today at the green expo. It was a lot of hard work. But I had fun, met vegans, learned about new stuff, and have possibly recruited some new people to veganbodybuilding.

Tomorrow we may go to a waterpark, as Robert wants to do something fun in Orlando, Florida before he goes home. Can anyone say tourist? I'm not usually the waterpark type, heck I don't even know if I have a bathing suit that will fit, since I haven't bought a new one in some time. Anyway hanging out with R.C. is a blast as everyone pretty much knows so how can I possibly resist?

Ok where do I start! We did notmake it to a water park as it was rainy and overcast all day, But it was a busy day. We worked out chest at the gym, see my other journal for that. Then we went to Whole Foods, ate, and then Robert wanted to be a real tourist and do something touristy.

We ended up at an interactive museum, attraction. We took tons of pictures, which Robert will post when he gets the chance. The place was called Wonderworks, and it was quite a lot of fun. There were several test your strength type things, some test your intelligence, and many other interactive experiences. One of my favorites was throwing a baseball and trying to strike out a famous baseball player. Basically you throw a ball against this screen with a picture of a baseball field, batter, etc. Of course both our aims were off and we ended up hitting the players in the head most of the time. There was also a design your own roller coaster, and then ride it. We only did the two minute one and it was enough, maybe if I practice enough there one day I will be ready for the real thing. Actually this roller coaster turned you upside down, spun you, went backwards, went vertical, and pretty much did everything that a regular coaster does. Wonderworks was also quite cheap too, only 20 bucks or so, it was actually worth the money. Can't say that for all theme parks/attractions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite pissed off tonight! Right now I should be at the YMCA Annual Meeting, but I'm on my computer telling everyone why I'm not there.

The week started out pretty good. My mom went up to Delaware on Monday to visit my younger brother. And for the next two days I helped my older brother with his two daughters. We didn't kill each other so that's why I say the week started off well. My mom came back Wednesday, and yesterday I officially got the news about being hired. So in all a pretty good week so far! My brother has a lot of collectibles that we left in Delaware, and to make a long story short they ended up in a storage unit when my aunt moved in where we used to live. Even though they were perfectly safe, and out of the way, until she moved with her family. So they can't afford the storage anymore so my brother has to drive up and get as much of his stuff as he can and bring it here. This is where my misfortune comes in. Today I got dropped off at work, and then my mom took the car to get it checked out, and because one of our automatic windows is broken. Should have been done by 3, but something broke and the part won't get there until tomorrow morning. So although I've been looking forward to this night for about a month I can't go. I probably would have been bored but I really wanted to go because I was personally invited by the guy that just hired me. It isn't really anyones fault, it just seems these things always happen when I have something important to do. Right now if I drank alcohol I would definitely be drowning my sorrows. At least I'll be at home to watch the season finale of Lost. But even though I love the show I'm not that happy that I'm home to watch it. Just ranting about my day, don't read it if you don't want to!

Ok, I've had a day to get over being ticked off. I'm still upset I missed the event, but I'm so excited about being hired at the Y. Anyway I did think of taking a cab to the event, but by the time I thought of it I would have gotten there real late, so I decided to skip it. I watched three hours of Lost instead, and I absolutely love the show. I think mostly I was worried that me not being able to get to the event would make it look like I don't have reliable transportation. Of course the event was held at another YMCA further from where I live. Anyway I ended up calling the person that invited me, and if he hadn't had to be there early to greet people he would have picked me up. He even tried to get me a ride with some people that were leaving from the downtown Y, that I go to, but they had already left. Oh well there's always next year. Maybe I was spared having to look at a lot of meat or something.