Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:20 pm 
Elephant

Good stuff, cool to see you do so many of the classes. Variety is a great way to keep interested.

Guys always seem to knock the classes but I never have; I always thought they were cool. Not that I am exactly going to jump in on a belly dancing class but I enjoy them when I do frequent.

Spin classes are always intense and so are kickboxing where i'm at.

I'm wondering what kind of stuff you do at the 'Body Pump' classes? It sounds like a bott camp style sort of class where you train with the bar and dumbells, yes?

either way, keep up the hard work!

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:19 am 
Elephant

Variety is definitely one of the reasons I started the group classes. I used to use the weight room with free weights mostly, but I didn't have anyone to workout with so I got very bored, and started to not be consistent with my workouts. So I knew I needed something to change, and that's when I got into the group classes. But I still enjoy weight training by myself sometimes too.
Body Pump is a barbell strength endurance class. Every BP class starts with a warmup, then squats,chest,back,triceps,biceps,lunges,shoulders, and ends with abs and stretching. Every three months the "Les Mills" company that invented BP, and some other classes brings out a new release. So by the time you think you're going to get bored it ends up being totally different.

Last edited by hsorlando on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:24 am 
Elephant

Sunday's Step class was kind of difficult. The choreography was a challenge, but it didn't help that I had a lot on my mind either. But I still had a good time, and a good workout. I really enjoyed Body Pump, the last time I took BP was Tuesday, so I had a nice break.

Anyway today I have to go to the Y early. I ended up taking a Muscle Toning class, it was only 45 minutes, but got a lot done in that time. The reason I had to go early was that this was when my brother wanted to go, and he in no way understands why I take certain classes at certain times, he just thinks I'm obsessed. I suppose he'd be correct, except that everyone at the gym, and many other fitness minded people understand why I love being there so much, because they're the same way. I don't seem to have very good workouts when I go with my family, which I know is because I'm stressed out by the time I get to the gym. I'm about 95% closer to just buying a monthly bus pass, and not ever getting in the family car again. Besides I'm the only one that will fit in the back between the 2 carseats for his 2 girls, even though I fit it's not too comfy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:33 pm 
Elephant

Walked to the gym after work, and then did a Muscle toning class. Used 7, and 10 lb weights. I was quite tired today, I don't know why, but I managed to get through the workout. Started with a 5 minute warmup, then some cardio stuff using a Step jumping over, stepping onto, etc. Did some deep squats with a stability ball against the wall, then some calf raises, also did regular and alternate, bicep curls, shoulder raises, lateral raises, and then used a leg band for more legs. There were also tricep dips, tricep extentions, chest press, flys, and a few other exercises I can't remember. Ended with abs and stretching. After the class I ran, but had to cut it short. I ran a different route, so this was interesting, and then I was going to run 3 more times around the block, but as soon as I finished my first time the sky got real dark, and there was a lot more lightning so I went inside. Then I found out there was actually a tornado watch, so I'm glad I was inside. The running club had to cancel their run but at least I got mine in. The reason I was feeling no energy is probably because of my diet, I just need to eat more I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:40 pm 
Elephant

Wednesday: Body Pump, had a great workout, felt strong, and I think I'm finally getting stronger on the chest presses. At the end of the set, they switch the press so you start with an eccentric move, then go into concentric. There's also a combo move that's done for several bodyparts. You start with two counts for the move, then do 2 singles. Anyway I think this release of BP is more endurance than the last.

Thursday: Walked to gym 1/2mile. then ran for 3.5 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:00 pm 
Elephant

Friday: rest day

Saturday: Cardio Strength class: I think shoulders were the focus of this class, although we did all the other bodyparts too. It was a beautiful day in Florida, so I couldn't back out of running. So even though I didn't feel up to it for various reasons I ended up running my furthest distance yet of 4 miles. It wasn't a fast pace or anything, but it was a nice run around the lake, and down some quiet streets in the heart of Downtown Orlando.

Sunday: This morning I ended up at a Panera's with my family, the location is at the lake that I run to. I obviously didn't eat anything, but I did get some coffee, and added some silk creamer to it, before I walked back to the Y, where we had to park the car. I left early to get to my class in time.
It was a killer Step class. I finally got the choreography that was introduced last week. After the class I ate a clif bar, and finished my coffee from earlier. Then read for about an hour, and did Body Pump. I'm starting to get discouraged about my goals, and getting certified as a personal trainer. The only thing that keeps me going is getting to the gym, and being around people in the field. And it sometimes helps to post stuff here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:57 pm 
Elephant

I almost didn't make it to the Body Pump class tonight. But I did get there and only missed half the warmup, about 2 minutes I think, so I can't complain. Since this newest release for BP, I've had to go lighter on several things, but yesterday, and today I finally upped the weight again. Squats are back to 40lbs, instead of my drop to 35. On chest I went with 25 lbs, instead of my decrease to 20. On back I used 30, instead of my decrease to 25. I think that's it, but just going up 5 pounds on stuff was difficult. Oh and this release you start with a barbell for lunges and I've been using 35 lbs. Shoulders still suck, but I'm working very hard on them, and I know they'll eventually cooperate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:31 pm 
Elephant

Tuesday I did Muscle Toning. Towards the end of the class we were informed that we should have had muscle fatigue in every area that we did, at least that was the intention for the class. Well it worked, I was very tired after MT and muscles were very fatigued too. I think it was a good thing that I took the night off from running, as I could barely walk to the locker room.
Today I walked to the gym after work. My legs are a bit sore still, but I managed to run for 2 miles before Body Pump. I also managed to keep my barbell at its heaviest too. In fact a few times the instructor was going lighter than me, but then switched to the heavier weight that I was using. I'm glad I could be of assistance. My muscles are very tired now, and I'm glad that they're getting the next two days off to rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:03 pm 
Elephant

Thursday I ran for 4 miles. That's all I did, but I almost didn't even do that because it started raining. But I waited 15 minutes and it stopped, and it also cooled off a bit, so I did end up having a nce run. I just ran around the block, because I didn't want to get caught at the lake if the rain started again. After my run I was also happy to see that I am still consistent in my times, about 10 minutes a mile. It ends up being longer than that when I go to the lake because I have a couple of big streets to cross, and there's always traffic.
Today was my off day, but I ended up at the Y because my brother was going, and I was picked up by him. I didn't have my workout gear with me so I ended up just eating a banana and waiting for him to finish. On another note I did get my runniing shoes, so I tried them out today, just to wear, and they fit so that's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:31 pm 
Elephant

Saturday they used the group fitness room for a special Qi Gong class, so we got to have the Cardio Strength class outside on the track.It was very windy, and a bit cold, but by the end of the warmup it didn't feel that bad. We started by warming up around the track, twice. This is only an eighth of a mile so it wasn't long. Then we used our weights (8lbs) for bicep curls, shoulder presses, tricep kickbacks,hammer curls, and other exercises that we did standing. Inbetween we ran. lunged, shuffled, and skipped around the track. And then we hit the weights a few more times. We ended upin a smaller room inside for pushups, abs and stretching. I rested for about 15 minutes, and ate a banana, then went running. I was quite happy that I still did my 4 miles, even with the wind. I finally got to try my new running shoes too.
Sunday was Step, and Body Pump. I also found out 2 of the trainers were in different races on Saturday. Both of them also mentioned the running conditions in the wind, it was like running into a force field, so I was happier with my run. Maybe next year I'll be ready for the 15k that one of them did. It's apparently a big race in Jacksonville Florida, and they run over a bridge and next to a river, sound like fun. Anyway I had fun on Sunday, even though I was a bit sore from Saturday.

Last edited by hsorlando on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:26 pm 
Elephant

Did Body Pump tonight. And I couldn't feel my triceps afterwards either. I finally went up in the warmup weight. My old bb weight was 20lbs, but today I went with 25lbs. I also went up with triceps. But before I used the barbell for tricep extentions, and pullovers I started with dips off the step, and then overhead tricep extentions with 10 lb plates. I didn't finish with the barbell, but almost got through. Also I used to only use 2 risers on each side for my step, but have added an extra one on each side so now I get a better dip. I think my squats are also improving as I seem to get down lower than I used to, but can't say for 100% yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:26 pm 
Rabbit

hsorlando wrote:
I'm starting to get discouraged about my goals, and getting certified as a personal trainer. The only thing that keeps me going is getting to the gym, and being around people in the field. And it sometimes helps to post stuff here.

Don't get discouraged. Your consistency is really inspiring. I like reading your training journal, so keep posting :) !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:08 pm 
Elephant

Thanks Laura, I'm not that discouraged at the moment. I'm back on track, and I have found a few dates in the next few months for the training course.
Today I did Muscle Toning, and then ran for four miles. The first 2 I ran with the trainer, and someone else. The pace was a lot faster than I run, but I kept up, and finished my last 2 miles by myself. I guess I'd better push myself to go faster sometimes, or else I won't get faster. Tomorrow I may have to skip BodyPump, so I may do Cardio Jump again, but that's not definite. I'm a little afraid of that class lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:56 pm 
Elephant

Ok, I did take the Cardio Jump class today, and it was HARD! Actually I think it was easier than a few weeks ago, but I made it harder by pushing myself more. At one point my right calf muscle was getting real tight, but that was towards the end of the class, so I didn't stop.
It started with a quick stretch, then jumping rope for about 5 minutes. Then we started with our stations. It'sa bit complicated, but I'll try to explain. The first station was five or six steps lined up,and at different heights, some with 3 risers on each side,and some with 4 or 5 on each side. The object was to jump onto the step, squat, touch the step, jump down,etc. Then when you were finished you had to lunge back to the start again. Inbetween stations we did different squats, lunges, jump rope intervals as a group. The second station was holding 12 pound weights leaving one foot on a step, about 5 risers on each side, and lifting the other leg bringing your knee real high, then we switched legs 3rd station was jumping over hurdles, and then squat jumps back to the beginning. 4th was jumping between cones and touching the cone with your hand, and the 5th station was jumping onto a very high step, 5 risers on each side, by this point it was all any of us could do to step onto it lol. Then we did pushups, and a quick stretch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:15 pm 
Elephant

I haven't posted my food intake for quite awhile so I thought I'd update.
Breakfast has mostly been oatmeal w/banana and 1 cup black coffee/ or sometimes I'm in the mood for cold cereal and I'll have something like Kashi, or Optimum with flax, and soy with unsweetened soy milk
Lunch I have at work and is usually an Amy's pot pie, or salad, or Amy's black bean enchilada meal
Snack banana before workout
then I usually workout for an hour
snack clif,or luna bar, or piece of fruit
dinner usually a grain (I prefer long grain brown rice), some sort of protein (vegan burger,or other soy food) and a vegetable (green beans, peas, etc.)
dessert I usually only have once or twice a week, it's usually a vegan cookie
beverages are generally ice tea, water, and coffee which I try to limit

This has been working pretty well for me. I haven't been tired, have had plenty of energy for my workouts, and running, and am still losing a bit of weight. I know I need more fresh fruits, but I think my consumption of bananas, and canteloupe make up for it lol. I would like to cut out the clif bars, mostly because of the sugar intake, but for now they're quick, and easy to pack. I leave for work around 930 am, and don't generally get home until around 8pm, so I know this accounts for some of my quick meals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 59  Next