Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:42 am 
Stegosaurus

veganpotter wrote:
xveganjoshx wrote:
It kind of bothers me the way many vegan diets stress low protein. I think it gives the illusion that we, as vegans, can't get in large amounts of protein, and concede with "well you don't need much to build muscle anyway". I used to think that it would be hard to get 200 g protein per day. Not true.... I get 200 g a day without thinking about it, which is slightly over 1 g per pound bodyweight. I eat over 50 g protein per meal, and I'm eating 5-6 times a day, so I have days where I'm easily getting 300 g a day. I find the range of 1.3-2 grams protein/pound bodyweight to be effective for muscle building. So definately not excessive.
Also, you must consider, as VeggiePrincess noted, some of the women that you have mentioned have very different goals then people in the bodybuilding/fitness industry. And even though some of those women might look muscular to you, the look they have is going to be very different than someone who is competing in BBing, according to the judges and the fitness community.
:D

The thing is everything we do is excessive. Our training is excessive...our obsession with improvement is obsessive and out diets are obsessive whether that be to minimize or maximize things. I have eaten 12,000 calories a day as a ruitine and that was excessive. It worked for my excessive desires and training. Its all excessive and thats what people like us are all about. As for the triathletes all I'm saying is that they have no muscular goals whatsoever and they diet they eat is to the complete opposite of what most fitness competitors eat...they train in a manner that many would see as depleting of muscle mass yet in reality in the off season when they aren't working on intensity they are even more muscular typically on even less food. I've seen many of these women in person and if they dieted for a week they'd be able to compete onstage with many top level natural BB inspite of the fact they don't even come close to 1g per lbs and the training they do is training you'd tell someone not to do because it makes people lose muscle.

Great Points Potter. I second this ! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:44 pm 
Elephant

So last night was the first night I cheated. I had about 12 oz of white wine and some salty crunchy things. I asked my trainer about it today and he said do 15 minutes extra of cardio for the next 3 days. He also said to get it out of my head and not feel bad about it because that does more harm than the actual cheat does. Something about the brain releasinG cortisol and slowing progress..... thought it was interesting.

I already noticed I needed to increase the weights on almost everything even after 1 week so that felt good. I love my nutritionist and my Xtend!!!

Bent Over Rows
3 sets 10 @ 40lbs (I worked out at the women's gym instead of the big gym and that's as high a barbell as they had. I should have been doing 50 lbs)

Tricep Rope Pulldown
3 sets 10 45 lbs

Skull Crushers & Close Grip Chest Presses with EZ Bar
3 sets 24 @ 30 lbs

Single Arm DB Row
3 sets 10 @ 25 lbs ea side

Calf Raise on Leg Press machine
3 sets 15 @ 80 lbs

50 minute cardio which means I have 20 more minutes to make up at some time tonight. I hate having to break it up cuz I have to have the Xtend everytime I workout so it is more cost effective to get cardio and weight training in at the same time, but oh well.

:wink: Triceps feel so weak right now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:19 pm 
Mastodon

What is up with you ladies and your strong triceps.

I suppose mine are just weak!

335 Squat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:36 pm 
I don't think you need to worry about 12oz of wine so much. Your body probably didn't even notice(weight wise) and it has a lot less calories than your trainer is asking you to burn. Either way a bit of extra cardio won't kill anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:19 pm 
Elephant

Zack wrote:
What is up with you ladies and your strong triceps.

I suppose mine are just weak!

Two things. I think that the strongest body part is usually one of your favorites to work. Triceps have always been one of my favorites. Two: I am MILITANT on tricep form. On skull crushers, elbows must stay in the whole time. If they come out at all when you lower it to your forehead, your no longer doing it the most effective way possible. Same with Rope Pulldown. The second those elbows leave your waist, your using your back to help you. Same with leaning forward... your using your back to help if your leaning.

My clients probably are always cursing me out when they're doing triceps with me. I never shut up. ha, ha.

Last edited by veggieprincess on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:24 pm 
Elephant

veganpotter wrote:
I don't think you need to worry about 12oz of wine so much.

Potter, if we were married and I listened to you with my diet, I'd weigh 200 lbs, I'd have two chins and my ass would need its own zip code. I just can't get away with as much as other people.

I trained for a marathon last year. I was half way through my training cycle and I was up to 15 mile runs. I quit because I started to get so FAT!!! I needed extra carbs for energy and I gained 10 lbs. I tried cutting back and then I didn't have any energy for my runs. I'm not kidding you. 10 lbs. All to my hips, butt and thighs. Go figure!

Lets just agree that your a stud muffin with the metabolism of a 12 year old and can eat anything you want and some of us aren't as fortunate as you :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:26 pm 
Mastodon

Time for a new sig.

Go potter, studmuffin!

335 Squat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:37 pm 
Oh trust me...if I ate whatever I wanted I'd gain tons of weight. Granted it wasn't all actual weight but last year I got to VV 06 weighing in at 194...three days later and boom...216. It was insane and there were many witnesses to my weight gain however a couple hundred calories of wine on day(not every day) in a few weeks won't put 10 lbs on you. I gain weight easier than anyone here...fat and probably muscle and I keep a close eye on what I eat but a slight deviation won't kill you unless you make a habit of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:29 pm 
Elephant

Zack wrote:
Time for a new sig.

Go potter, studmuffin!

Zack, you said you would never change that sig! You betrayed me! Who would have thought you would have left me for veggieprincess :cry: :cry: ...

:usa2: :usa2: :usa2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:31 pm 
Stegosaurus

I don't get why your ass would need a new zip code :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:32 pm 
Mastodon

Fine whiny I'll put it back, but it's getting tired so come up with a new one soon.

335 Squat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:11 am 
Elephant

Tasha wrote:
I don't get why your ass would need a new zip code :?

It was a joke because I've heard him say quite a few times not to worry about carb consumption.... not to worry about wine..... not too concern myself with my protein intake. For my body type, if I took his advice, I would gain weight.... and everytime I gain weight it all goes to my butt, thus the zip code joke. J.LO booty all the way. No matter how much weight I lose, my getto bootie always hangs on for dear life :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:19 am 
Stegosaurus

:cry: why are you so hard on yourself?
You look great weight loss or not. You look great.
Come on I know you want to train for tri's. :) You won't be so worried about slimming down. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:46 am 
Rabbit

veggieprincess wrote:
I trained for a marathon last year. I was half way through my training cycle and I was up to 15 mile runs. I quit because I started to get so FAT!!! I needed extra carbs for energy and I gained 10 lbs. I tried cutting back and then I didn't have any energy for my runs. I'm not kidding you. 10 lbs. All to my hips, butt and thighs. Go figure!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gains weight when marathon training. It makes me get slower too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:49 pm 
Its natural to do that...its your bodies way of coping with stress.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next