Thursday

Triceps

Friday

Lats - Traps - Rear Delts

Saturday

Calves - Core

Sunday

OFF

I think explained my split before but it was deleted when the site went down. Here it is again:

I've tried similar splits and adjusted those splits and found this works best for me or a slight variation as I will show. This split maximizes recovery time for each individual muscles like this...

Day 1 - Primary Pushing/Seconday Pulling/Shoulders

Day 2 - Legs/Lowerback

Day 3 - OFF

Day 4 - Secondary Pushing/Shoulders

Day 5 - Primary Pulling

Day 6 - Core - Calves

Day 7 - Off

Days off between, maximizing recovery of corresponding muscle groups, and ability to focus on each muscle individually

Upper Body - Primary to Secondary - 2 days off (Chest to Tris and Back to Bis)

Upper Body - Secondary to Primary - 3 days off between (Tris to Chest and Bis to Back)

Shoulders to Shoulders - 2 and 3 days off between

Some Core to Core - 2 and 3 off between

Legs to Calves - insignificant

Some of my reasoning:

*I like to have a full day off after legs as it is usually my most difficult workout

*I like to have one weekend day off as it would be too difficult to train on both weekend days because I do alot of traveling, I'd be setting myself up to miss workouts if scheduled myself to train both days

*I don't like focusing on the same muscle groups (chest/tris and back/bis) during the same day. I feel I can't fully focus on triceps after doing chest and likewise biceps after doing back... those secondary muscles are way too fatigued for me.

*I find it difficult to really split quads, hams, glutes... so I do them all in one day.

*I like at least 2-3 days in-between Chest and Back as both workouts are working the shoulders and I've found that if I scheduled back and chest closer to each other during the week, one impeded the strength of the other and shoulder soreness/fatigue was greater.

This is the split that I like to stick to and gives me the recovery time my body needs. As far as things I like to change about it is, exercises, reps, rest in between sets, and other variations. The only other split I do is:

Monday

Lats - Traps - Rear Delts - Triceps

Tuesday

Quads - Hams - Glutes - Lower Back

Wednesday

OFF

Thursday

Biceps

Friday

Chest - Front Delts

Saturday

Calves - Core

Sunday

OFF

Which is essentially switching the upper body muscle groups...

Edited by Troy

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm embarrassed to say where I am on the scale to 200 right now I just checked over at my sister's house and I was under 180lbs but won't say where I'm at. I've been up to 193 in the past so I can get back up there, and will just need some times, focus, dedication, consistency, etc.

DAMN!! This motivates me!!

I won't get to 200 anytime soon, but I can at least try!!

Keep up the good work gentlemen. Train hard and eat big!

You'll get there, what are you at now? You might not weigh as much as I do, but you sure as heck look better.

haha, you're guessing

It was 179 but I had clothes on. I think I even swore and I don't swear. So it was pretty frustrating. Thanks for the text message to help keep me on my toes, and in the gym!

Wow, 197, nice work! That is awesome and awfully close to 200, even if it is with all that water.

DAMN!! This motivates me!!

I won't get to 200 anytime soon, but I can at least try!!

Keep up the good work gentlemen. Train hard and eat big!

You'll get there, what are you at now? You might not weigh as much as I do, but you sure as heck look better.

I'm not even going to tell you what I weigh. As they say in bodybuilding, "it's not how much you weigh, but how much you look like you weigh!"

Anyway, my goal is to step on stage at least 20 lbs heavier but with the same conditioning. My plan is to bulk for the next two years or so (maybe throw some cut phases in along the way. Such as bulk for 2 months and then cut for 1 month). Last "off season" I got my weight to the highest it ever has been which was 148lbs with about 9% bodyfat. I would like to get to 155lbs-160lbs with 10% bodyfat or less over the next two years. And then compete in the summer of 2010. We'll see how it goes. School and getting into grad school/PhD programs is my main focus right now. The lifting and eating is second. I do it to keep me sane more than anything.

Keep up the good work Zack . . . you're almost there.

I'm embarrassed to say where I am on the scale to 200 right now I just checked over at my sister's house and I was under 180lbs but won't say where I'm at. I've been up to 193 in the past so I can get back up there, and will just need some times, focus, dedication, consistency, etc.

Just think of how much traveling Monica Brant used to do and I've had a few conversations with her (as have you), and she had her cooler packed on every trip. Every week she was in a different state and had made food prep her #1 goal and getting the training in at any gym in any state she was in.

With all of your speaking engagements and travel, I think your number one key to success is taking the time to prep the protein shakes, veggies, etc. I think Vegans competitors have to worry about carrying a cooler and food prep even more than non-vegan competitors do because in a pinch they can walk into a grocery store and pick up any can of tuna and there's there protein. Finding a Vegan Protein Shake or even a block of Tofu on the road can be alot trickier, so preparation is even more crutial.

MO used to tell me she would basically just live in the kitchen and that diet was 90% of her results. I'm not telling you anything you don't know... just reminding you that there are competitors such as yourself who do lots and lots of traveling who make it work by any means possible.

Date: 12 3 2007

Start Time: 530 PM

End Time: 645 PM

Monday - Chest/Delts/Biceps

Warmup Bike - 10min

Exercise Sets Reps Weight

20 degree Incl Dbl Press 1 x 20 @ 50s

20 degree Incl Dbl Press 1 x 12 @ 70s

20 degree Incl Dbl Press 1 x 10 @ 80s

20 degree Incl Dbl Press 1 x 8 @ 90s

20 degree Incl Dbl Press 1 x 3 @ 100s

Dips Elbows In 1 x 12 @ -

Seated Db Press 1 x 15 @ 25s

Seated Db Press 1 x 12 @ 35s

Seated Db Press 1 x 8 @ 45s

Cable Crossover 1 x 10 @ 30/30

Cable Crossover 1 x 9 @ 40/40

Cable Crossover 1 x 8 @ 40/40

Cable Crossover 1 x 12 @ 30/30

Straight Bar Curls 1 x 20 @ 35

Straight Bar Curls 1 x 12 @ 60

Straight Bar Curls 1 x 10 @ 65

Straight Bar Curls 1 x 9 @ 70

Straight Bar Curls 1 x 7 @ 75

Cybx Curl 1 x 20 @ 30

Cybx Curl 1 x 8 @ 70

Cybx Curl 1 x 8 @ 70

Cybx Curl 1 x 7 @ 75

Date: 12 4 2007

Start Time: 515 PM

End Time: 620 PM

Tuesday - Legs

Warmup Bike -10min

Exercise Sets Reps Weight

Seated Leg Press 1 x 20 @ 190

Seated Leg Press 1 x 18 @ 260

Seated Leg Press 1 x 16 @ 270

Seated Leg Press 1 x 14 @ 290

Seated Leg Press 1 x 12 @ 310

Seated Leg Press 1 x 10 @ 330

Seated Leg Press 1 x 8 @ 350

Seated Leg Press 1 x 10 @ 370

Lunges 1 x 20 @ -

Lunges 1 x 20 @ 20s

Lunges 1 x 20 @ 20s

Lunges 1 x 20 @ 30s

Leg Curls 1 x 15 @ 135

Leg Curls 1 x 12 @ 150

Leg Curls 1 x 7 @ 170

Leg Curls 1 x 8 @ 165

Hyperextensions 1 x 10 @ -

Hyperextensions 1 x 15 @ -

Edited by Troy

I actually love squatting.... in a sick painful way... but there are no squat racks at the Snap Fitness I work out at. They have a Smith rack and I was doing 5 sets of that for the past 6 weeks, but I didn't get nearly the pump that I get from seated leg press. The Smith machine is one of the worst inventions for bodybuilders in my opinion... taking away virtually all stabilizer muscles and increasing stress on joints by keeping the back in an unnatural fixed plane. I got desperate yesterday and even tried to load up the 5' straight curl bar with some 45s to see if I could kick out some reps... but with no free rack it just seemed awkward. This was the first week without the Smith squats... but I do really wish they had a free weight squat rack, theres really no substitute for squatting... may have to switch gyms once I hit a plateau in growth.

Dead lift..? Whats that? Just kidding... I'll be implementing them in due time... I'd like to strengthen my core a bit more before I start dead lifting. We have a history of back problems in my family, my father has slipped a disk on more than one occasion, failed his physical when he tried out for the packers because of his back (many years ago), my Mom has degenerative disk disease which included a successful surgery to fuse vertebrae. Personally, 3 years ago I slipped a disk in my back (picking up a laundry basket... yes you read that correctly). My friend is a doctor up in Minneapolis practicing PT and had me doing supermans, and some other lower back exercises until I slipped it back into place. I have never felt pain like a slipped disk, pretty scary stuff. Needless to say I'm a little cautious but I'm working into it...

I'd say I'm type A personality minus the hostile, aggressive and stressed. Those of which I rarely get... but the other characteristics... yeah pretty much...

Edited by Troy

Date: 12 6 2007

Start Time: 5 40 PM

End Time: 6 30 PM

Thursday - Triceps

Warmup Bike 10min

Exercise Reps Weight

Dips Elbows Out 12 @ -

Dips Elbows Out 12 @ -

Dips Elbows Out 12 @ -

Dips Elbows Out 12 @ -

Lying Extentions 15 @ 25s