LTV Training Log

I am getting very good results from the training regimen I am following, so I thought I would start an online journal for those that might be interested.

Background:

I am 6'2" tall, and have weighed about 180-185lbs for most of the time that I've been working out (weight training, cardio, etc...). I have been vegan for over 16 years. I am a classic ectomorph and have always struggled to gain mass. For many years I worked the same basic routine, and every time I hit a plateau I would push myself too hard and inevitably end up injuring myself. For the past couple of years, I have been varying many aspects of my routine in order to force my body to constantly adapt, while also paying special attention to my nutritional plan. This seems to keep me from encountering the "plateaus" that used to stymie my efforts. I am now starting to develop a much more "solid" physique. I used to believe that my "frame" of bones/tendons/ligaments was fixed by genetic predetermination. Years of hitting plateaus have reinforced this. Over the past couple of years I have been doing lots of squats, deadlifts, lunges, pullups, dips, and Dumbell excercises, while cycling various aspects of my routine to keep my body from adapting. I am convinced that my bones/ligaments/tendons are significantly more substantial as a result of the constant variations in my training combined with excercises like squats, deadlifts, pullups, dips, etc...

Okay, so thats my fitness life story... As far as recent history, I was in the best shape shape of my life at the beginning of summer of 2007 (190lbs and very low body fat for me, not sure exact BF%). Unfortunately, I injured my shoulder and broke my toe which curtailed my workouts for the entire summer.

I have been back at the gym 6 days a week for the past 8 weeks. I am experiencing great results (gained 18lbs and body fat is down noticably). I thought I share my routine in case anyone is interested. Hopefully I can excercise the same discipline with my log that I excercise at the gym...

Edited by LongTimeVegan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday, November 29:

DB Rows: 3x10 with 75lb DBs

Incline DB Press: 10x75, 10x85, 9x85

(these excercised were "compound-setted" with 1 minute rest between excercises)

Close Grip Row: 3x10 120lbs (cable machine)

Dips: 3x12 (leaned way forward to work chest)

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 3x10 160lbs (cable machine)

Incline Cable Crossovers: 3x10 50-60lbs

Incline Bench Lateral DB Raises: 3x10 15lb dumbells

Calf Press Machine: 3x15 400lbs

Decline Cable Crossovers: 3x10 45-60lbs

Flat DB Press: 3x10 65-75lbs

I was already beat from yesterdays leg workout, and now my chest hurts... this is a good thing

I'll try to interject something interesting in future logs, but for now I need to sleep...

- Chris

Edited by LongTimeVegan

Friday, November 30, 2007:

EZ bar standing curls: 3x10 with 75-80lbs

Lying DB tricep extensions: 3x10 with 25lb DBs

Concentration curls: 3x10 with 30lbs

Tricep Kickbacks: 3x10 with 25lbs

Standing EZ bar reverse grip curls: 3x10 with 55-70lbs

Dips (rearward lean to target triceps): 3x12

Standing BB Overhead Press (touched chest each time): 3x10 with 95-105lbs

Upright Rows (EZ Curl Bar): 3x10 with 75lbs

I switched from Creatine Monohydrate to Creatine Ethyl-Ester today (2.5g pre and post workout). I'm expecting to lose some water weight as a result of the switch, but today my weight was up two pounds from yesterday (210.5lbs). ???

My shoulders and biceps felt REALLY pumped today... Like more than I've ever experienced in my entire life. My workout was intense, but I'm in a relatively tame part of my workout cycle (rest between each set, high reps). Time will tell whether this is a fluke or somehow related to my switch to CEE. Other than the Creatine, the only supplements I take are L-Glutamine and vitamins.

I'm doing legs tomorrow...

- Chris

Saturday December 1, 2007:

BB Squat to parallel: 3x10 with 155,205,205lbs

Lying Machine Ham Curl: 3x10 with 110lbs

(these excercised were "compound-setted" with 1-3 minutes rest between excercises)

DB Lunges: 3x10 with pair of 50lb DBs

Stiff Legged Deadlift: 3x10 with 135,155,185lbs

(these excercised were "compound-setted" with 1-3 minutes rest between excercises)

Plate Loaded Leg Press Machine: 3x10 with 270,360,360lbs

Standing One Leg Ham Curl Machine: 3x10 with 40lbs

Seated Plate Loaded Calf Raise: 3x15 with 115lbs

Standing One Leg Calf Raises: 3x15 with bodyweight

(these excercised were "compound-setted" with 1 minutes rest between excercises)

I had the biggest smile on my face when I racked the bar after that second set of squats with 205lbs...

I just had a personal record of 205lbs for ten reps last week, so being able to do two sets made me very happy. I think I will stick to this weight for a week or two more before trying to go up again. When I approach the bar I am definitely not thinking "light weight baby". Perhaps after working around 205lbs for a couple weeks I will be more confident in my ability to lift that heavy all the time.

I would have liked to keep my rest periods down to 60 seconds for the first half of my workout, but I didn't sleep much last night (3 hours! ) and I was feeling pretty fatigued before I even began my workout. Definitely need to get more rest if I'm going to continue to grow. My lower back was REALLY exhausted after squatting and I was sitting down briefly between sets to try and rest it, but after about 20 minutes it felt totally fine again. I am drinking about half as much water during my workout since switching from CM to CEE (drank 750ml today) It feels good to not be so bloated with water in my stomach. I also like that I don't feel the need to drink a bunch of water after my post-workout shake... Talk about bloat! The really weird thing is that my weight was 210.5lbs after lifting tonight, even though I consumed less water. I've read that CM causes to you to gain like 10lbs in water weight, so I was really expecting to be dropping weight fast once I stopped taking it.

In case anyone is interested, my post workout shake consists of:

12 oz Chocolate Banana Flavored Vitasoy

30g Non-GMO Soy Protein

15g Non-GMO Hemp Protein

12g Rice Protein

5g L-Glutamine

Calories: 514

Fat: 13.3g

Carbs: 37.3g

Protein: 63g

I should really start adding some flax oil and more carbs to this recipe...

-Chris

Sunday December 2, 2007

Bent over BB Rows: 3x10 with 135,155,155lbs.

Incline DB Press: 3x10 with 75,85,85lb DBs

Dumbell Pullovers: 3x10 60,60,55lbs

Pushups (medium grip on knuckles): 3x12

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 3x10 160,170,180lbs (cable machine)

Incline Bench Flys: 3x12 with 55,65,65lb DBs

Seated Rear Delt Machine: 3x10 105lbs

Donkey Calf Press Machine: 3x10 225,215,215lbs

Shoulder Height Cable Crossovers: 3x10 60,50,50lbs

DB Flat Bench Press: 3x8 with 75,65,60lb Dbs

Way strict form on the BB Rows so I kept it light (held bar against belly for one second at top of each rep ). I'm starting to get comfortable with the 85lb DBs for incline press, but getting into position for that first rep always makes me nervous (I don't work with a spotter). Very happy with the weights on Incline DB fly. It has taken me a long time to master this excercise, but I think I have the hang of it now. I haven't done shoulder height cable crossovers in a while (usually just do incline and decline) but I was working in with a guy who already had the machine set up that way so I gave it a go. I went relatively light on the flat DB press because my chest felt spent.

Weight is down to 209.5lbs (post workout) and I drank 1000ml of water today while lifting.

My knees are felt a little sore off and on today, but I suppose thats to be expected as I continue demand more and more of them. I'm sure they'll be fine by Tuesday when it's time to work legs again. In a few days I will have worked this current routine for two weeks, so I'll be changing the number of reps I'm doing (around 8 instead of 10), altering the rest period for my workout (no rest between first and second excercise of each compound set), and doing four sets of everything instead of three. I have three basic phases of workouts that I cycle through, and I am currently on the first one. Second phase is a little more intense, and third is absolutely brutal.

-Chris

Thanks for the words of encouragement Zack!

Monday December 3, 2007

Incline Bench Curls: 3x10 with 40lb DBs

Cable Machine Tricep Pushdown: 3x10 with 60,70,80lbs

Hammer Curls: 3x10 with 35lb DBs

Overhead DB Tricep Extension: 3x10 with 65lb DB

One Hand Preacher Curls: 3x10 with 25lb DB

Close Grip DB Press (palms facing in): 3x10 with 55lb DBs

Seated DB Military Press: 3x10 with 45,50,50lb DBs

DB Lateral Raises: 3x10 with 25lb DBs

I'm really happy with my numbers tonite. I'm up 5-10lbs on all these dumbell excercises compared to when I was at this point in my cycle six weeks ago. I was doing mostly standing barbell overhead presses for the past couple weeks, but tonite I tried seated Military DB press again. I started with 45lbs, thinking I wouldn't make 10 reps, and would need to drop the weight for the other two sets... I ended up going up to 50lbs and pushed up two sets of ten. My form was strict except for the last two reps of the last set which were extremely difficult. I did a few sets of crunches after lifting. I've been slacking on abs because my BF was a little high to really see them. I'ts gradually going away, and I'm now at the point where I might actually see the results if I start working them again.

Weight was 209.0lbs post workout and I drank almost 1000ml water during my workout.

Tomorrow is scheduled to be the last day of this workout cycle (supposed to be two weeks total, lifting 6 days a week). My knees are still a little sore, and tomorrow is another leg day, so I'm debating whether I should work lighter than usual, or take my day off so I can go heavy on wednesday. I haven't taken a day off for 8 days now so I wouldn't really feel too guilty. I don't usually go that long without a day off, but I've been highly motivated lately.

- Chris

Tuesday December 4, 2007:

Lots of much needed rest and tons of good food.

Wednesday December 5, 2007:

Started out the day bringing home a 135lb heavy bag and carrying it up an incline driveway and over uneven terrain to it's new home. I thought this would be a piece of cake, but I had to carry it by "hugging" it to make it through some narrow areas, and it really exhausted my back! I was sure this would make squatting heavy tonight impossible, so I was nervous all day about going to the gym...

Wide Stance BB Squat to parallel: 3x10 with 205,205,205lbs <<<<

Dumbell Lunges: 3x10 with 50lb DBs

(these excercised were "compound-setted" with 2-3 minutes rest between excercises)

Seated Machine Leg Extension: 3x10 with 100lbs

Seated Machine Ham Curl: 3x10 with 225lbs

DB Squats to parallel: 3x10 with 85lb DBs

Lying Ham Curl: 3x10 with 120, 110, 110lbs

(these excercised were "compound-setted" with 2-3 minutes rest between excercises)

Standing Machine Calf Raises: 6x10 with 120,110,110,100,100,100lbs

(60 seconds rest between each set)

After warming up with 8 reps of 135, I jumped into my heavy squats and was pleasantly surprised! Three sets of 10 with 205lbs and super strict form is a major accomplishment for me. When I did 205lbs for two sets last Saturday my back was rocked. I could hardly stand up straight afterwords, but tonight my back felt totally capable of managing the weight!!! I was however, on the verge of throwing up after the second set (from exhaustion). Compound setting squats and lunges like this with short or no rest period really takes it out of me. My heartrate was up pretty high throughout my entire workout. After squats and lunges I was ready to go home and my legs felt like vegan jello.

Seated extensions and curls gave me a second to catch my breath, and then it was on to the dreaded DB Squat. Was sure I would end up puking, but grabbed the 85lb DBs and went at it. Finished with standing calf raises (1 second pause at bottom and top of movement), and managed to keep my pre-workout meal in my gut.

I drank 1250ml water while lifting and weighed 208.0lbs post-workout.

Starting tomorrow, I will be changing to a 4x8 superset routine (2 excercises per set) routine for the next two weeks, and a 5x6 superset routine (4 excercises per set) for the two weeks after that.

I think I can see 225 on the horizon when I get into the 6 rep routine...

Thursday December 6, 2007:

Legs are sore today.

Incline DB Bench Press: 4x8 with 85,90,85,85lb DBs

Pullups (Supinated Close Grip): 8,8,6,5

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Flat DB Bench Press: 4x8 with 70,80,80,80lb DBs (only made 6 on last set)

One Arm DB Rows: 4x8 with 80lb DB

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Seated Low-Pulley Row (close grip): 4x8 with 140,140, 130,120lbs

Cable Machine Incline Fly: 4x8 with 60,60,60,50lbs

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 1 minute rest before beginning again)

Bent Over Lateral Raises (incline bench): 4x8 with 20lb DBs

Seated Calf Machine: 4x15 with 400lbs

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 1 minute rest before beginning again)

This is the first time I've ever incline-pressed 90lb dumbells! I can't believe I made 8 reps. Flat Pressing 80lb DBs is a personal best as well, so pushing three sets makes me very happy. I am starting to get way better at getting into position for my first rep with those heavy DBs. Slight strain in my right front delt/shoulder but I think it will be gone tomorrow.

What a great way to start off this new cycle!

-Chris

Friday December 7, 2007

Seated DB curls: 4x8 with 40lb DBs

Lying DB Tricep Extension: 4x8 with 30lb DBs

Concentration Curls: 4x8 with 35,35,35,30lb DB

Tricep Kickbacks: 4x8 with 30lb DB

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Curls: 4x8 with 70,65,65,65lbs

Dips (tricep emphasis): 4x12 bodyweight

Seated DB Shoulder Press: 4x8 with 55lb DBs <<<

Standing DB Lateral Raises: 4x8 with 30,25,25,20lb DBs

Really great workout today! Personal bests pretty much across the board, but Seated DB Shoulder Press with 55lb DBs is what I'm most excited about.

I really need to get a dip-belt so I can start adding weight!

I drank 1250ml water during my workout and weighed 212.5lbs after lifting!

Saturday December 8, 2007

BB Squat (to parallel): 4x8 with 205,205,205,215lbs

Machine Lying Hamstring Curls: 4x8 with 120lbs

Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 4x8 with 155,185,185,185lbs

DB Lunges: 4x8 with 50lb DBs

Plate Loaded Incline Leg Press: 4x8 with 360,360,380,400lbs

One Leg Standing Hamstring Curl: 4x8 with 40,45,45,45lbs

Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 4x12 with 135,135,125,115lbs

Standing One Leg Calf Raises: 4x12 with bodyweight

My knees still felt a little dodgy, so I almost put this workout off until tomorrow. I'm glad I did it today because I had great results. New personal best for squatting with 215lbs for 8 reps... Yeah buddy!

Supersetting Stiff-Legged Deadlifts and Lunges is always so much fun!

-Chris

Sunday December 9, 2007

Bent Over BB Row: 4x8 with 185,175,155,155lbs

DB Incline Press (Palms In): 4x8 with 75lb DBs

Seated Close Grip Cable Row: 4x8 with 140,150,160,160lbs

DB Flat Press: 4x8 with 80,85,85,85lb DBs <<<

Wide Grip Pulldowns (cable machine): 4x8 with 160,170,180,180lbs

Decline Cable Crossovers: 4x8 with 60,50,50,50lbs

Seated Rear Delt Machine: 4x8 with 120lbs

Donkey Calf Raise Machine: 4x8 with 225,225,210,210lbs

The bent over barbell rows were the only thing I felt weak on tonite. I think my back is still tired from squatting yesterday.

Haven't done "palms-in" incline DB press for a while so threw that in for a change. New personal best on Flat DB Press tonight pushing 85lb dumbells for 3 sets! My technique for getting from sitting with DBs on legs to laying for the first rep is getting sick!!! I think I could have managed 90lb DBs, but I wouldn't have made 8 reps. Once I "bump" the DB in my right hand into position using my right leg, I bump the left one up, but continue to support it with the left leg for the beginning of my descent into laying position. Maybe this is old news for everyone else, but it took me a long time to really get it dialed...

My weight has been hovering in the 208-212lb range for the past couple weeks. I guess that means I'm still losing some fat, since I continue to get stronger. This is not "dry weight", because I don't have a scale at home and I work out in the evenings, but I do weigh myself at the same time every day, so I believe it gives me a rough idea of my progress.

-Chris

Monday December 10, 2007

Incline Bench DB Curls: 4x8 with 40lb DBs

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 4x8 with 70,80,80,80lbs

Hammer Curls: 4x8 with 35lb DBs

Overhead DB Tricep Extension: 4x8 with 65lb DB

One Arm DB Preacher Curl: 4x8 with 25lbs

Flat Bench DB Press Close Grip, Palms In: 4x8 with 60lb DBs

Standing BB Military Press: 4x8 with 95,105,105,95lbs

Upright Rows: 4x8 with 75lb EZ Curl Bar(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

My left elbow was hurting a bit today. I think it was from pressing yesterday, but I also dinged the bone on the inside of my elbow the other day, and it's still bruised, so maybe it's a combination of both.

Anyways, I took it relatively easy today with the various curls, and concentrated on getting a really intense muscle contraction. The incline curls with 40lb DBs was a PB for me last week, but this week they actually felt kinda light for the first two sets. I would have tried 45lbs if it weren't for my elbow. Moved up a bit on the cable tricep pushdown, but was cautious here as well. Palms in close grip DB press is a new weight for me, and it felt good - nice tricep and inner chest contractions. I am trying to improve my form on the standing overhead BB press, and the weights reflect that. I was rewarded with some burning delts (still burn now, 3 hours later!).

I have a pretty hectic day tomorrow, and it's supposed to be my day off from the gym. That would make Wednesday legs again...

-Chris

My one day off turned into two as a result of my hectic schedule this week.

Wouldn't have been such a bad thing to rest my body, but I was eating poorly, which kinda makes recovery difficult.

Thursday December 13, 2007:

Wide Stance BB Squat (to parallel): 135 x 8 reps (warm-up set)

Wide Stance BB Squat (to parallel): 4x8 with 215,215,205,205lbs

DB Lunges: 4x8 with 45,55,55,55lb DBs

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 3-4 minutes rest before beginning again)

Seated Leg Extension Machine: 4x8 with 110,120,120,120lbs

Seated Ham Curl Machine: 4x8 with 240lbs

DB Squats (to parallel): 4x8 with 180lbs (2x90lb DBs) <<<

Lying Ham Curl Machine: 4x8 with 120,110,110,110lbs

Standing Calf Raise Machine: 4x8 with: 120,120,110,110,100,100,100,100lbs

(held contraction for 1 second at top of each rep, 60 seconds between sets)

Only minor improvement in my Wide-Stance BB squat tonite. I was struggling to keep my knees from "going in" on the last couple reps at 215lbs. Racking the bar in the squat rack and immediately picking up those DBs for some lunges is always fun. I actually started with 45lb DBs for my lunges, knowing I would be rocked by these supersets, but once I saw my squat weight wasn't going up tonite, I upped the weight on the lunges... yeah buddy.

My weights for Leg Extensions and Curls are both up, which is good. By the time I finished these, my legs were DONE.

I was a little bummed about minimal BB Squat gains, I decided to try for a new personal best, Dumbell Squatting 180lbs, for 4 sets of 8 reps. This was nice, but the lying ham curl was not. My hamstrings were fried by this point, so no real improvement there.

Finished up with 8 sets of 15 on the Standing Calf Machine. Got some nice stimulation by holding the top position for 1 second on each rep.

Tomorrow is chest, back, and a little calf work...

-Chris

Friday December 14, 2007:

Incline DB Press: 8 reps with 65lb DBs (Warmup-Set)

Incline DB Press: 4x8 with 90,85,85,80lb DBs

One-Arm DB Rows: 4x8 with 90lb DB <<<

Flat DB Press: 4x8 with 80lb DBs

DB Pullovers: 4x8 with 60,60,55,55lb DBs

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 4x8 with 170,180,180,180lbs

Incline DB Flys: 4x8 with 65,60,55,50lb DBs

Seated Rear Delt Machine: 4x8 with 135lbs <<<

Plate Loaded Seated Calf Raises: 4x15 with 135lbs

Decline Cable Crossovers: 3x8 with 50,60,50

Pushups (medium grip, on knuckles): 12,10,8

I got stuck trying to get into position for my first set with 90lb DBs on incline-press.... Luckily someone was nearby to help, but I really strained my right shoulder and chest before getting help, which haunted me the rest of the workout. Performed all reps without assistance, but did need a spot to get set up to starting position on first set. I took my frustration out by doing my one-arm rows with a 90lb DB.

I did hit some nice numbers on the wide grip pulldown. Progressively dropped weight with each set on the incline DB flys and played with my form, since I wasn't going to be able to go heavier here. New PB on the seated rear delt machine . Hopefully this will translate into better performance on my incline bench DB lateral raises. Also had some nice numbers on the Seated Plate Loaded Calf Raise machine.

-Chris

Good training man, looks like your pretty strong.

[Flat DB Press: 4x8 with 80lb DBs

DB Pullovers: 4x8 with 60,60,55,55lb DBs

I love to supperset benchpress with pullovers. Never done any supersetting before starting this program I'm on now, really cool stuff! I also like tri-sets, no need for cardio!

Yeah, supersetting really gets the heart pumping. In about a week I'll be changing my set structure to 4 excercises per superset, in a 5x6 set structure. I'll do that for two weeks before beginning my cycle over again. The exhaustion these giant supersets induce makes it difficult to focus as clearly, so I usually lower my weights a bit to keep myself from getting hurt.

Sunday December 16, 2007:

Seated DB Curls: 4x8 with 40lb DBs

Lying Tricep DB Extension: 4x8 with 30lb DBs

Concentration Curls: 4x8 with 35lbs

Tricep DB Kickbacks: 4x8 with 30lbs

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Curls: 4x8 with 70lbs

Dips (Tricep Emphasis): Bodyweight for 15,15,15,12 reps <<<

Seated DB Overhead Press: 4x8 with 55lb DBs (only made 7 reps on last set)

DB Lateral Raises: 4x8 with 30,25,25,25lb DBs(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

I took yesterday off because my shoulder was still hurting a bit. I knew I wouldn't be able to do overhead presses like that. My chest was really sore, which is unusual for the day after. Usually it's the second day after the workout that I get sore.

As for tonights workout; Many of these weights are new as of last week. I am getting comfortable with them and trying to be as strict as possible with my form. I did quite a few dips tonite. I'm sure this is a personal best. The last time I could do anywhere near this many reps, I was weighing closer too 180lbs. I REALLY need a dip belt!!!

-Chris

Monday December 17, 2007:

BB Squat (warm-up set): 135lbs x 8 reps

BB Squat (to parallel): 4x8 with 215lbs <<<

Lying Machine Ham Curl: 4x8 with 120lbs

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 3-4 minutes rest before beginning again)

Straight-Leg Deadlift: 4x8 with 185lbs <<<

DB Lunges: 4x8 with 55lb DBs

Plate Loaded Incline Leg Press: 4x8 with 380lbs

Standing One-Leg Machine Ham Curl: 4x8 with 45lbs

Seated Machine Calf Press: 4x15 with 400lbs

Standing One-Leg Calf Raises: Bodyweight for 12,10,8,6 reps

I was not very motivated today, but I sucked it up and worked really hard. I'm really happy about squatting 4x8 with 215lbs. That last set was brutal... I have never come so close to failure as I did on the last rep.

When I was warming up, I was amazed at how light 135lbs is starting to feel. Unfortunately, 215lbs still feels ridiculously heavy.

I'm also pretty happy about my Straight-Leg Deadlift. I'm pretty sure 4x8 with 185lbs is a personal best as well. This is by far my most dreaded superset. My forearms are so fatigued as I near the end of the Lunges that most of my mental focus goes into my grip, not my legs.

I don't go super heavy on the Plate Loaded Incline Leg Press Machine, but I do go pretty deep (legs touching chest at bottom of rep). These were surprisingly hard... my legs were really rocked from those squats and lunges.

Earlier in the day, I strained my left wrist which is making me a little nervous about my chest/back workout tomorrow... Hopefully it will be all better tomorrow morning!!!

-Chris

Tuesday December 18, 2007:

DB Flat Press: 4x8 with 85,85,85,90lb DBs (only made 7 reps on last set) <<<

One Arm DB Row: 4x8 with 90lb DB

Incline DB Press (Palms In): 4x8 with 75lb DBs

Close Grip Cable Row: 4x8 with 160lbs

Supinated Close Grip Pulldown: 4x8 with 180lbs

Incline Cable Crossovers: 4x8 with 50,60,60,50lbs

Incline Bench Reverse DB Flys: 4x8 with 20lbs

Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 135lbs x 15,15,12,12 reps

Flat Pressing 90lb DBs is a PB for me! I did my one-arm DB rows on the flat bench tonite so I could get extra strict. I always pause for a moment at the top of each rep, and avoid using momentum, but lately when I've been doing these, I've been using the DB rack as support.

Palms-in incline press seemed really hard! I usually do incline press first, then flat press. I decided to switch it up tonite. Good numbers on everything else tonite. Overall, I'm happy with my progress.

-Chris

Wednesday December 19, 2007:

Incline Bench DB Curls: 4x8 with 45,45,45,40lbs <<<

Tricep Cable Pushdown: 4x8 with 80lbs

Hammer DB Curls: 4x8 with 35lbs

Overhead DB Tricep Extenstion: 4x8 with 70lbs

One Arm DB Preacher Curl: 4x8 with 30lbs

Close Grip Palms-In DB Flat Press: 4x8 with 65lbs <<<

Standing Overhead BB Press: 4x8 with 95,105,105,95lbs (only 6 reps on 3rd Set )

Upright Rows: 4x8 with 75lbs

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

PBs on Incline Curls and One-Arm Preacher Curls tonite! Also new weight on the Palms-In Close grip DB Flat Press! Standing overhead presses were weak tonite. My delts were slightly fatigued from yesterdays workout.

-Chris

Thursday December 20, 2007:

Wide Stance BB Squat (to parallel): 135lbs x 8 reps (Warm-up Set)

Wide Stance BB Squat (to parallel): 4x8 with 185,205,205,185lbs

DB Lunges: 4x8 with 55lb DBs

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 4-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

Machine Leg Extension: 4x8 with 120,130,130,130lbs <<<

Seated Ham Curl Machine: 4x8 with 240lbs

DB Squats (to parallel): 4x8 with 100lb DBs <<<

Lying Ham Curl Machine: 4x8 with 120lbs

(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Standing Calf Machine: 8 sets of 15 with 120lbs (only made 13 on last set)

(60 seconds rest between each set)

Some guy nabbed the empty squat rack just as I was walking in the room, then proceeded to set it up with 225lbs and do 6 reps of 1/3 squats.

Then he walks over to the Smith machine and starts setting it up...

I ask if he's done with the squat rack and he replies "he, he, I'm too lazy to squat tonite." I reply by asking "Are you also too lazy to clean up?". I normally wouldn't have said anything but there is something about guys who do 1/3 squats that just annoys the hell out of me. Especially when their next excercise includes a Smith Machine.... LOL

I feel better now that I've vented.

So the other day when I was doing regular squats I noticed that my stance wasn't much narrower than when I'm doing Wide-Stance "Ballet-Squats". Tonite I made a real effort to widen my stance a bit. I wasn't able to lift quite as much weight this way, but my legs weren't about to buckle inward like they were last week . Have I mentioned how much I love supersetting squats and lunges?

I was pretty rocked after that, and was very happy to be doing excercises that involved sitting down. I am making slow but steady progress on the leg-extension machine. I do this one without momentum and hold the contraction for 1 second at the top. I think I will be able to move up weight on the seated ham curl next workout. There's only three more plates before this machine is maxed out. I guess I'll start doing it with one leg at a time when I max it out.

I was planning on trying 95lb dumbbells tonite for my DB Squats, until I discovered that my gym only has DBs in 5lb increments up to 90lbs. The rest are in 10lb increments (100,110,120). "Oh, well, I guess I'll try the 100lb ones..." I tried saying "ain't nuttin but a peanut" (in my head of course) but they didn't seem any lighter. Also tried "ain't nothing to it but to do it". That was slightly more effective, but not outrageusly so. Bottom line: I made my 4 sets of 8 reps. Thats 20lbs heavier than my old PB for this excercise. Yeah buddy.

Knocked out the calf raises with strict 60 second rest periods.

I am starting to see some improvement in my legs, which is nice. I have a goal of squatting 225lbs for 4x6 reps. I think I may reach this goal within two weeks. I've been moving up in weight every week, but these are just numbers, and that's not nearly as motivating as seeing my muscles grow.

-Chris

Friday December 21, 2007:

Incline DB Press: 5x6 with 85,85,85,85,80lb DBs

One-Arm Bent Over Row: 5x6 with 90,90,90,90,85lb DB

Flat DB Press: 5x6 with 80,80,85,85,80lb DBs (only made 5 reps on sets 4 and 5)

DB Pullovers: 5x6 with 60lb DBs

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Pullups (bodyweight with pronated medium wide grip): 5,6,6,6,4 reps

Incline DB Flys: 5x6 with 50lb DBs

Seated Rear Delt Machine: 5x6 with 135lbs

Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 5x12 with 135lbs

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Today I began the last part of my 6-week workout cyle. It will last two weeks, and I am doing a 5x6 set structure, supersetting four excercises at a time.

The entire workout took less than 60 minutes (40 sets total). I was totally rocked, but the pace of the lifting was so hectic I didn't even have time to realize it until I was done. I was sure that I would end up dropping my weights more than this, but I managed to keep them relatively high (for me anyways ).

Saturday December 22, 2007:

Seated DB Curls: 5x6 with 45lb DBs

Lying Tricep DB Extensions: 5x6 with 35lb DBs

Concentration Curls: 5x6 with 35,35,35,35,30lb DBs

Tricep DB Kickbacks: 5x6 with 30lb DB

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1-2 minutes rest before beginning again)

Reverse Grip EZ bar curls: 5x6 with 75lbs

Dips (bodyweight w/tricep emphasis): 5x15 <<<

DB Overhead Press: 5x6 with 55,60,60,60,55lb DBs (only made 5 reps on last two sets)

DB Lateral Raises: 5x6 with 30lb DBs

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1-2 minutes rest before beginning again)

Had a really good workout tonite. PB for weight (60lbs) on the DB overhead press and PB for reps on dips as well. New weight on the Seated DB Curls and Lying Extensions as well.

Workout took 55 minutes (40 sets total).

Tomorrow I am doing legs using this type of set structure. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit scared...

-Chris

Sunday December 23, 2007:

BB Squats (to parallel): 135lbs x 8 reps (Warm-up Set)

BB Squats (to parallel): 5x6 with 225,225,225,205,205lbs <<<

Lying Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 120lbs

Straight-Legged Deadlift: 5x6 with 185,185,185,185,155lbs

DB Lunges: 5x6 with 55lb DBs

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 3-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

Plate Loaded Leg Press Machine: 5x6 with 380,400,400,420,420lbs

Standing One Leg Ham Curl: 5x6 with 45,50,50,55,55lbs

Seated Calf Press machine: 5x20 with 400lbs

Standing One Leg Calf Raises: 5x6 with bodyweight

I squatted 225lbs for reps today!!!

My palms started sweating two hours before my workout! I was really nervous about trying that weight. I can't believe I made 3 sets of 6!!! I think I will remember this day forever. I never do 1-rep max excercises, so this really is the first time I've ever squatted that much weight.

After my first three sets at 225, I dropped the weight to 205 and started creeping just below parallel for the last two sets. I've been reading some articles about how it's less hard on your back if you go past parallel, so I thought I'd give it a go. It really did seem much easier on the back as I was beginning the upward phase of the lift!

The first giant superset was however, totally brutal! I was sure that I would need to drop weight on the Straight-Leg Deadlifts and Lunges, but somehow I managed. Luckily the gym was pretty empty and some guys were deadlifting near the squat rack with the right weight for me to jump in while they were resting.

Had new PB weights on the Plate Loaded Leg Press and One-Leg Ham Curl machine. I am making sure my legs touch my chest each rep on the leg press, so my weights aren't very high. Then there's also the fact that my legs were already fried from those first 20 sets.

Workout took a total of 65 minutes to complete (40 sets total).

-Chris

My gym closed early today and will be closed all day tomorrow, so I guess I'm taking two days off lifting.

Looking at my log, it looks like I just went 8 days without a day off, so I guess it's probably a good thing.

I ate some fried food today and I feel totally gross... Like I need to take a shower or something.

-Chris