Jza's Journal

now i'm completely new to lifting/working out etc but here is my program that i've just started

Day 1

• Bench - 110lb
  • Lateral pull down - 120lb
  • Seated Row - 105lb
  • Dumb Incline press - 38lb each
  • Tricep pull down - 88lb
  • hammer curls - 22lb each
  • Dumb shoulder press - 27lb each

Day 2

• Leg Press - 265lb
  • calf raises - 265lb
  • leg curls - 119lb
  • leg raises - 119lb

* all exercises are 3 sets of 12 reps. although oftenb the last set falls at 8-10 reps depending how i feel on the day

day 3 is a rest day (and sometimes i have day 4 is a rest day too.)

i start each session with a 1km jog to the gym, then 5 minutes sprint on a cycle machine to warm me up.

day 2 i do a series of crunches, reverse crunches and swiss ball exercises for my abs.

any suggestions?

Try it for a month and see where it gets you.

Write a log.

* all exercises are 3 sets of 12 reps. although oftenb the last set falls at 8-10 reps depending how i feel on the day

I'd do less sets for the arms, actually, i'd cut out the arm exercises completely.

any suggestions?

Aim for an improvement every workout (in reps or weights). As you workout quite often with relative high volume, don't go to muscle failure.

Have fun!

yea, i was going to carry on with it for another few weeks before i try cutting down the reps to 4 sets of 7-8 reps with heavier weights

why do you say cut out the arm work? any stuff in particular i shouldn't be doing? bear in mind that i've already got an issue with my forearms fatigueing before i feel i get a decent workout for the chest/shoulder stuff.

cheers, that makes sense, but i think this early in the game i'll make gians fairly quickly with any semi-decent plan, so i'll stick with this one and when i start to slow down in my gains/get stagnant, i'll switch to something more like yours, to break the monotony.

update

Day 1

• Bench - 121lb
  • Lateral pull down - 132lb
  • Seated Row - 120lb
  • Dumb Incline press - 38lb each
  • Tricep pull down - 88lb
  • hammer curls - 22lb each
  • Dumb shoulder press - 27lb each

Day 2

• Leg Press - 308lb
  • calf raises - 308lb
  • leg curls - 119lb
  • leg raises - 119lb

day 3 is a rest day (and sometimes i have day 4 is a rest day too.)

i start each session with a 1km jog to the gym, then 5 minutes sprint on a cycle machine to warm me up.

day 2 i do a series of crunches, reverse crunches and swiss ball exercises for my abs.

any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...