rowing machine

madcat

http://a.im.craigslist.org/hW/RW/VQpYWOnTWhHs52fUI3NGwjQxlGl4.jpg

Has anyone tried one of these kinds of rowing machines? I was thinking of buying one because they are so much cheaper then the kind at the gym. Plus they fold up so small. But I was wondering why they are so cheap.

My mom used to have one of those fold-up kind with the hydraulics, which I tried quite a few times and I've used the concept II rowers at the gym.

There's a huge difference. Sort of like the difference between jump roping with a piece of string and using a nice jump rope with the heavy rope and comfortable wood handles. Sure, you get a workout, but it doesn't feel the same at all.

The kind with the hydraulics that I used felt flimsy and wobbly, and the handles were just a bit too long for me, so my shoulders didn't feel like they were in the right position. After a few short and frustrating workouts, I wasn't interested in using it anymore. (I believe she sold it for about fifteen bucks...)

One of my friends has a Concept II rower in his apartment, and I ask to use that thing almost every time I go visit. It feels comfortable every time, and I feel like I'm getting a decent workout. I'd get one (or something similar) for myself, if I had a good place in my house to set it up. Oh, and if the gym wasn't three miles away and stocked with several of them.

Check out rowers at epinions.com to get a better idea of what models are best.

That first one is $40used

This one is $500 used

http://a.im.craigslist.org/GT/sJ/V1v3aS92ntsLqTkSVnzYV0WtqjU5.jpg

I have got a rowing machine like the second picture. It is a totally different feeling of rowing than the first one. I would always advise you to invest in the type of the second pic. I paid approx $250,-- and it can also be stored very easily. I don't know if it is better for training, but the movement feels just better.

That’s really strange that my pic disappeared.

Last night at dragon boat practice we did time trials on the rowing machines (ergs). This was my first time doing a time trial so some of the other people had an advantage. The goal is to go 500 meters as fast as possible. I did it in two minuets and three seconds (average). I think I could have gone faster but they called me down at the beginning. I don’t know if that would have affected my time. If you go too fast it is easier to get the chain wiggling and that slows down the fly wheel. Maybe that’s what I was doing and that’s why they called me down… I don’t know. I saw the list of everyone’s times and someone did it in 1:45, that’s my new goal.