Heart rate monitor

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
CrispyQ
Gorilla
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Boulder, Colorado

Heart rate monitor

#1 Postby CrispyQ » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 pm

Does anyone have one of these & if so, do you like it? Has it helped your workouts?
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

kollision
Elephant
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#2 Postby kollision » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:04 am

I just use the one on the cardio machines if I need to take my heart rate. I personally do not use them for lifting weights.

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#3 Postby compassionategirl » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:06 am

But if you are unsure about cardiovascular activity at the fat burning range, like most women are, I suggest you get one. Kollision is a personal trainer so he doesnt need one. :wink:

kollision
Elephant
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#4 Postby kollision » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:25 am

compassionategirl wrote:But if you are unsure about cardiovascular activity at the fat burning range, like most women are, I suggest you get one. Kollision is a personal trainer so he doesnt need one. :wink:


You are right Nat :) If you are unsure of your cardio fat range, you should get one. But if it's on the machine, you could use that too (like I do). But I think what you meant is that it is better to use that then the machine so you do not have to hold it and such (like the heart monitor strap)?

User avatar
Daywalker
Elephant
Posts: 1869
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Vegan Strength Cult, German HQ
Contact:

#5 Postby Daywalker » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:49 am

Hey!
Kollision is back!! :D

Where have you been man? We were starting to worry...
No one said it would be easy.

User avatar
chesty leroux
Elephant
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, VA

#6 Postby chesty leroux » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:43 am

Daywalker wrote:Hey!
Kollision is back!! :D

Where have you been man? We were starting to worry...


My first thought exactly!

I like to use a heart rate monitor when i do cardio to make sure my heart rate is in the fat burning zone. I have a pretty basic reebok model I got a few years ago, but at the moment the battery is dead and I am too lazy to get a new one. They can definately be beneficial to see where you are as far as the fat burning/aerobic aspect, and you dont need a really expensive one, there are some very basic Polar models for about $40.
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#7 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:02 am

Yup, polar is what I have.

yes, like kollision said, some treadmills and whatnot have them built in, but from my experience the ones in my gym are usually either inaccurate or always broken. :evil: :(

Plus, sometimes I do my cardio jogging in my neighbourhood, in which case I would need my own monitor anyway.

I have the one with the chest strap and watch. I think if you are a female looking to reduce boy fat while retaining lean muscle, it is a good investment.

The formula by the way for figuring out where your fat burning range is simply

220 - (your age) = your max heart rate. he multiply that number by 65% and by 75%. Keep your rate between those two numbers while doing cardio, and you will burn fat not muscle.

So for me it would be 220 - 30 (i.e. my age) = 190.

190 X 65% = 123.5
190 X 75% = 142.5

I keep my heart rate between these two numbers (which is my "fat burning range" and I burn fat not hard earned muscle). And I use my heart rate monitor to keep track of my heart rate, making sure it is where it should be.

You will find that as you get more cardiovascularly fit, it will take greater intensity to bring your heart rate up to the right numbers, and that is good because it means your heart is getting fitter!!

At least that is what I do -- it works for me!! :D
8)

kollision
Elephant
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#8 Postby kollision » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:52 am

compassionategirl wrote:Yup, polar is what I have.

yes, like kollision said, some treadmills and whatnot have them built in, but from my experience the ones in my gym are usually either inaccurate or always broken. :evil: :(

Plus, sometimes I do my cardio jogging in my neighbourhood, in which case I would need my own monitor anyway.

I have the one with the chest strap and watch. I think if you are a female looking to reduce boy fat while retaining lean muscle, it is a good investment.

The formula by the way for figuring out where your fat burning range is simply

220 - (your age) = your max heart rate. he multiply that number by 65% and by 75%. Keep your rate between those two numbers while doing cardio, and you will burn fat not muscle.

So for me it would be 220 - 30 (i.e. my age) = 190.

190 X 65% = 123.5
190 X 75% = 142.5

I keep my heart rate between these two numbers (which is my "fat burning range" and I burn fat not hard earned muscle). And I use my heart rate monitor to keep track of my heart rate, making sure it is where it should be.

You will find that as you get more cardiovascularly fit, it will take greater intensity to bring your heart rate up to the right numbers, and that is good because it means your heart is getting fitter!!

At least that is what I do -- it works for me!! :D
8)


You amaze me you know that? I remember coming to the forums and seeing you write all this stuff....Dang. You gotta become a PT girl!

User avatar
CrispyQ
Gorilla
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Boulder, Colorado

#9 Postby CrispyQ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:48 am

chesty leroux wrote:...and you dont need a really expensive one, there are some very basic Polar models for about $40.


Thanks, I will look for one. My friend has one that is +$100 - way out of my range! She programs her workouts into it, even her interval workouts. She laughingly tells me you have to be a computer programmer to use it.
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

User avatar
FormicaLinoleum
Elephant
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: London, UK

#10 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:14 am

I have a heart rate monitor, but the battery ran out about a year ago and I haven't changed it yet. I really need it though, because my cycling training relies a lot on specific heart rate zones.

But a question... if you exercise at a higher intensity than the 'fat burning zone' won't your body use glucose/glycogen as its main fuel? I thought your body would break down muscles only if your glycogen stores were too low. So if you were doing cardio for an hour or two, your muscles should pretty safe even at high intensity, as long as you have been eating enough for your glycogen stores to be sufficient.
My 2012 Training Log

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#11 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:07 pm

FormicaLinoleum wrote: So if you were doing cardio for an hour or two, your muscles should pretty safe even at high intensity, as long as you have been eating enough for your glycogen stores to be sufficient.


:shock: Cardio for an hour or TWO??? I think that is insane if your goal is to burn fat while retaining lean muscle.

In my opinion, going above your upper limit for more than a few minutes at a time is counterproductive to the goal of fat burning, because yes, your body will burn muscle, NOT fat. I find that many people think doing cardio for hours at a time -- at an intensity way above their upper limit -- will help them achieve their fat loss goals, but I think it actually hinders that goal -- not helps it.

Now note that I am talking about the goal of burning fat while retaining lean muscle. If your goal is to simply build endurance, then that may be a different matter in terms of what works and what doesnt.

I would love to hear Kollisions opinion on this though since he is the certified personal trainer around here.

User avatar
FormicaLinoleum
Elephant
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: London, UK

#12 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:14 pm

compassionategirl wrote: :shock: Cardio for an hour or TWO??? I think that is insane if your goal is to burn fat while retaining lean muscle.

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that and hour or two is necessary or recommended. What I meant is that you could go for a couple hours and be okay as far as glycogen stores... so more reasonable periods of time like half an hour to an hour should not be a major challange to glycogen stores at all.
My 2012 Training Log

User avatar
chesty leroux
Elephant
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, VA

#13 Postby chesty leroux » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:13 pm

FormicaLinoleum wrote:I have a heart rate monitor, but the battery ran out about a year ago and I haven't changed it yet.


Oh good, i'm not the only one.
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

User avatar
FormicaLinoleum
Elephant
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: London, UK

#14 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:53 pm

compassionategirl wrote:In my opinion, going above your upper limit for more than a few minutes at a time is counterproductive to the goal of fat burning, because yes, your body will burn muscle, NOT fat. I find that many people think doing cardio for hours at a time -- at an intensity way above their upper limit -- will help them achieve their fat loss goals, but I think it actually hinders that goal -- not helps it.

I didn't mean to refer to going at really high intensities.

I'm used to thinking of the numeric heart rate zones, with 60-70% (zone 2) being a kinda easy, comfortable effort and 70-80% (zone 3) being more intense but sustainable. Zone 4 (80-90%) would be hard and zone 5 (90-100%) would be all out and sustainable for only a minute or two. So I was thinking about zone 2 as the "fat burning zone" and meant that I thought that one could go into zone 3 without worrying about muscle breakdown. Is that correct?

But I see now that what you referred to as your fat burning zone is 65-75% of MHR, which kinda overlaps into the area I was thinking of as more intense.

I will have to exercise for 2-3 hours a couple of times a week, but yeah, that's specifically for training and not for general fitness or weight loss.
My 2012 Training Log

User avatar
FormicaLinoleum
Elephant
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: London, UK

#15 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:54 pm

chesty leroux wrote:
FormicaLinoleum wrote:I have a heart rate monitor, but the battery ran out about a year ago and I haven't changed it yet.

Oh good, i'm not the only one.

:lol: Yeah, I'm horrible about stuff like that! I really need to take care of that, though, because I should be monitoring my HR all the time. Well, not like 24 hours a day; I mean during my bike riding each day.
My 2012 Training Log


Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests