Increasing with dumbbells

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

FormicaLinoleum
Elephant

Increasing with dumbbells

#1 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:06 pm

I recently starting doing DB incline bench press. Last week I did 12 reps with a 25 lb dumbbell in each hand, which meant that this week I should have increased to 30 lb DBs. But when I tried with those, I couldn't do even one press, so I guess the increase of 5 lbs per hand is too much for me. What can I do between the 25s and the 30s to get myself ready for the 30s? Should I just keep doing more reps with the 25s until I can lift the 30s?
My 2012 Training Log

willpeavy
Elephant

#2 Postby willpeavy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:07 pm

Did you try the 30lb presses first in your routine? Or after you had done other exercises?

FormicaLinoleum
Elephant

#3 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:10 pm

willpeavy wrote:Did you try the 30lb presses first in your routine? Or after you had done other exercises?

All I had done before them were squats and calf presses, so they were my first upper body exercise.
My 2012 Training Log

Daywalker
Elephant

#4 Postby Daywalker » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:00 am

I think you just had a bad day. The increase is not too high, you should be able to do a few reps.

Maybe it felt too heavy. Sometimes a weight feels very heavy for me but i can still lift it.
Or perhaps your regeneration is not balanced with your workout - doing too much or not enough.
No one said it would be easy.

tylerm
Rabbit

#5 Postby tylerm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:12 pm

I agree with Daywalker, it was probably mental, because if you did 3x12 at only 5 lb less per hand, you should be able to knock out at least a few.

I am the same way when squatting, I walk out with the weight on my back and it feels heavy, but then I squat and pop it back up like nothing.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”