Increasing with dumbbells

I recently starting doing DB incline bench press. Last week I did 12 reps with a 25 lb dumbbell in each hand, which meant that this week I should have increased to 30 lb DBs. But when I tried with those, I couldn't do even one press, so I guess the increase of 5 lbs per hand is too much for me. What can I do between the 25s and the 30s to get myself ready for the 30s? Should I just keep doing more reps with the 25s until I can lift the 30s?

I think you just had a bad day. The increase is not too high, you should be able to do a few reps.

Maybe it felt too heavy. Sometimes a weight feels very heavy for me but i can still lift it.

Or perhaps your regeneration is not balanced with your workout - doing too much or not enough.

I agree with Daywalker, it was probably mental, because if you did 3x12 at only 5 lb less per hand, you should be able to knock out at least a few.

I am the same way when squatting, I walk out with the weight on my back and it feels heavy, but then I squat and pop it back up like nothing.