Improving grip and building forearms!

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Bigbwii
Elephant

Improving grip and building forearms!

#1 Postby Bigbwii » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:33 am

Hi guys , I'm wanting to improve my grip and build my forearms at the same time if possible, I don't want to buy any grip tools etc, so does anyone recommend any exercises?
FRUITARIAN FITNESS
The Fruitarian Lifestyle & Fitness Coach
www.fruitarianfitness.com

michaelhobson
Elephant

#2 Postby michaelhobson » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:37 am

My forearms and grip strength have been built by HEAVY deadlifts, rack pulls, static holds, shrugs and curls.

That work alone was enough for me to close the Captains of Crush #2 gripper at my first grip session in England. :twisted:

Bigbwii
Elephant

#3 Postby Bigbwii » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:53 am

Thanks MH :lol: ! I was thinking of doing wristcurls but I really don't want to give myself any extra work! ok then!! in that case I'm on course to getting the fore arms I want/need! right now I can only dream of catching up to you on the deadlift :cry: but give me a couple of months :wink:
FRUITARIAN FITNESS

tylerm
Rabbit

#4 Postby tylerm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:14 pm

Farmers walks! Just grab the biggest dumbbells you can find and walk for distance. Not only do these really work your grip, but also your arms, back, core and legs. And hips. Basically full body.

First time I did these with proper farmers walk handles I did several 100' walks with 150 lb per hand and I felt like an old man for 2 days after I was so sore (especially my hips!). I did tear a huge callous off my hand doing them, but it only made my hands tougher once it healed

willpeavy
Elephant

#5 Postby willpeavy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Hey Bigbwii you train at a playground right? What about going backwards and forwards on the monkey bars, that should build your grip

Bigbwii
Elephant

#6 Postby Bigbwii » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:45 pm

You might be on to something thereTylerm!!! :wink: Willpeavy, I'm training at my friends house , he's got more wieghts but that's a good idea! :wink:
FRUITARIAN FITNESS

tylerm
Rabbit

#7 Postby tylerm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:56 pm

When I was a kid monkey bars were so easy, somehow they got harder as I got older :P I have just started doing timed one hand hangs from a chinup bar to work my grip strength, it is pretty tough, especially when you are swinging back and forth.

willpeavy
Elephant

#8 Postby willpeavy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Same for me, monkey bars used to be really easy when I was kid, but they're pretty challenging now!

robert
Site Admin

#9 Postby robert » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:06 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, but figured this thread was a good place. I've always taken pride in the fact that my forearms are pretty freaky. I've heard Michael Hobson has some awesome forearms, bigger than mine (but maybe less veins). I recently saw some photos of the forearms on Ryan (VeganEssentials) and Kalani (Kollision).

Man.....you guys have some HUGE forearms! Great work! I think you guys are also the two strongest here.

One thing I used to do for forearm strength was wrap a towel around the handle of the dumbbell to make it harder to grip it. I'd do that when doing one-arm dumbbell rows, shrugs and pulling exercises like that.

Anyway, you guys have some huge awesome arms and I just wanted to say excellent work with that!

Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

kollision
Elephant

#10 Postby kollision » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:22 am

Heres one thing I love to do.

If you are grabbing the plates (not necessarily the 45 lbs, any plates in general) grab it from the tab in the middle and walk with that or instead of grabbing them with your whole hands on its side, grab it with two or three fingers. I personally just use my thumb and index.

Same applies with dumbbells.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”