It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:57 am 
Elephant

jonathan wrote:
FormicaLinoleum wrote:
kollision wrote:
Also at 150 lbs, man that's a huge lady!

I'm 150... unfortunately it's not primarily muscle. :(

how does being 150lbs and female constitute being huge? kathryn is 145lbs and she is anything but huge. johanna, over on vegan fitness (german international rugby player) is 175lbs+ and she looks great.

i hate it that women who are say 5'9" are expected to be 125lb. its unfair and unhealthy.

jonathan

As I mentioned 150 is a healthy range for women. But comparing a 150 lb women to the normal "healthy" women, it is pretty big since they are mainly 120 and lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:19 am 
Elephant

kollision wrote:
As I mentioned 150 is a healthy range for women. But comparing a 150 lb women to the normal "healthy" women, it is pretty big since they are mainly 120 and lower.

The healthy range for my height (5'5") is somewhere around 112-150, if you buy that BMI stuff. I'd guess that most women who are within that range (and apparently, most women in the US are overweight and would be above that range) are at the higher end of it.

For myself personally, I do think 150 is a little heavy, and I'd like to get in the 135-140 range. I can't imagine getting below 135 with my body type. I've been 140 for most of my adult life, so that's probably the most reasonable target for me. Of course, since I started working out I have been trying to rely not so much on scales and more on how I look and feel.

I do understand about 150 being pretty big for a bodybuilder, though. A bodybuilder would have very little fat, so being 150 pounds would mean having a lot of muscle mass for a natural female. (Though I guess it depends on what her height is.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:19 am 
Gorilla

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
kollision wrote:

A 75 pound bench press sounds pretty muscular to me! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:35 pm 
Gorilla

kollision wrote:
Crispy, before you even start to do the lat pulldown, pull your shoulder blades together as if you were going to pinch a quarter between them. Keep this position throughout the workout. Also what CollegeB said, go a bit slower as well on the way up.

I tried this & I definitely felt the work in my back more! It was difficult to keep that form while letting up on the weights, but I think with practice it will become easier.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:01 pm 
Gorilla

jonathan wrote:
FormicaLinoleum wrote:
kollision wrote:

how does being 150lbs and female constitute being huge? kathryn is 145lbs and she is anything but huge. johanna, over on vegan fitness (german international rugby player) is 175lbs+ and she looks great.

i hate it that women who are say 5'9" are expected to be 125lb. its unfair and unhealthy.

jonathan

Amen to that. I'm an easy 5'11" and I'd probably die before I got down to 125lbs...yet that's exactly what fashion models are. My height, that weight. Scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:18 pm 
Elephant

veggymeggy wrote:
jonathan wrote:
FormicaLinoleum wrote:
kollision wrote:

jonathan

Amen to that. I'm an easy 5'11" and I'd probably die before I got down to 125lbs...yet that's exactly what fashion models are. My height, that weight. Scary.

hehe! that means you are abou the same height as little topher! awh - bless the little guy!

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:25 pm 
Gorilla

jonathan wrote:

hehe! that means you are abou the same height as little topher! awh - bless the little guy!

jonathan

Yeah, Topher's got me by maybe half an inch? I think? We're right about the same size.
I used to hate being so damn tall....I still don't love it but I think I've gotten used to it. I used to refuse to date guys shorter than me and I finally just stopped caring cuz there isn't an abundance of guys taller than me. Buying pants though - now there's a whole different issue. Why can't women's sizes be like men, where you select by waist AND inseam, not just waist! All women do not have the same length legs, HELLO! :evil:
*sigh* anyway.......sorry to get all off topic guys :) Maybe I'll take my rant about womens clothing elsewhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:32 pm 
Elephant

veggymeggy wrote:
Why can't women's sizes be like men, where you select by waist AND inseam, not just waist! All women do not have the same length legs, HELLO!

I am with you! I am 5'5", which I thought was pretty much average height, but "regular" length pants are all too long for me and I have to search for "petite" pants. I'm not petite in any way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:49 pm 
Gorilla

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
veggymeggy wrote:
Why can't women's sizes be like men, where you select by waist AND inseam, not just waist! All women do not have the same length legs, HELLO!

I am with you! I am 5'5", which I thought was pretty much average height, but "regular" length pants are all too long for me and I have to search for "petite" pants. I'm not petite in any way!

Yeah I do NOT understand what they were thinking when they set woman clothing size standards... :?
I'm the opposite, my legs are freakishly long :shock: I need a 34in inseam- not easy to come by, and when I do.....usually really expensive! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:27 pm 
Elephant

I have to have long also...not easy to find

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:21 pm 
Gorilla

veggymeggy wrote:
I used to hate being so damn tall....I still don't love it but I think I've gotten used to it.

Megan, I'm 5'8" & I would love to be taller. And what is it about our culture that we feel uncomfortable being with a guy who is shorter than we are? When I was in college I had a girlfriend who was 6'2". She was gorgeous! When the group of us would go out, she got all the attention! :lol:

And ditto on the women's sizing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:53 pm 
Gorilla

CrispyQ wrote:
veggymeggy wrote:
I used to hate being so damn tall....I still don't love it but I think I've gotten used to it.

Megan, I'm 5'8" & I would love to be taller. And what is it about our culture that we feel uncomfortable being with a guy who is shorter than we are? When I was in college I had a girlfriend who was 6'2". She was gorgeous! When the group of us would go out, she got all the attention! :lol:

And ditto on the women's sizing.

That part is true....you're gonna notice me when I walk in a room, that's all there is to it :P My friends say they hate going places with me because I get all the attention, and that part is fun. Plus, I love to wear heels :D I think it's less the men issue for me than it is other women. When I was a teenager it was awkward, but now that I surround myself with 'adult' :roll: males, I find that very few of them care about height, and I've also stopped caring.
With other females though, I've always been left out of certain 'group rituals' so to speak....for instance, I have NEVER had a friend I could share clothes with. My best friend in high school was 5'2"! (Yet somehow people still got us confused, go figure...) It might sound really trivial, and it undoubtedly is, but it's little stuff like that that always made me hate being tall. That, and seeing photos of me next to my teeny tiny friends, I look so huge :? That's why I like my avatar, you can't tell that I'm 7 inches taller than the woman I'm sitting next to :P
To summarize :D I think our culture values conformity FAR too much, (hence why all women's pants are the same length?) and being physically far from standard makes you not "fit in" (in certain circumstances) For me it took time and an extra bit of self confidence to realize that that's ok (and GOOD even) :!:

Ex: Me slouching :) Next to boy of average height (though the hat makes it a little harder to tell I think) But yeah - I tower over him :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:07 pm 
Elephant

* 'adult' *

Haha.

Nice.