I don't want to get big

aurovon

I know this might be a weird topic, but its true. I am 5'8" and weigh almost 150lbs[i want to maintain this but by reducing the fat and adding muscle]. I used to be 130lbs and then bulked up to 160lbs almost. Anyways, I really just want to be average/tonned[not big/bulky], so of course cardio should be my main priority, but at the same time I figured if I reduced my exercise routine that can help too, correct me if I am wrong?

Here is my new routine I plan on focusing on. And note: I plan on working out 4 days a week. And cardio every other day in the morning. I do plan on working out my forearms and abs twice a week and rest of the muscle group just once.

Chest - 2 exercise/ each exercise 4setsx8reps

Back - 2 exercise/ each exercise 4setsx8reps

Shoulder - 2 exercise/ each exercise 4setsx8reps

Legs[quads/hams/calves] -2 exercise for each group/ each exercise 4setsx8reps

Abs/Forearms - 3 exercise/each exercise 4setsx8reps

Bicep - 2 exercise/ each exercise 3setsx8reps

Tricep - 2 exercise/ each exercise 3setsx8reps

I just wanted to post this and see if other posters feel like its under training? If so, feel free to let me know how can I adjust my program. Thanks for your time, cheers!

whether you grow or not is generally dictated by what you eat. you provide the stimulus (training) and then if you give your body the fuel, it will grow. if you decide that you dont want to grow, simply dont eat as much!

heres another approach you may want to consider - why not maintain your weight and base your routine on strength building exercises?

most peoples idea of what a power lifter looks like is a fat bastard, to be honest. but those in the lower weight categories have to keep a check on their weight, and are usually in excellent shape.

its just a thought, but in my view its better to be toned and strong rather than just toned.

jonathan

First, don't be scared to gain too much muscles - it's not that easy, unfortuneately

Then, i agree with Johnathan - to a certain degree you will gain muscle with the average diet, but beyond beginners level, you won't. But that's a good thing for you

I would either focus on strength, meaning heavy weights and low reps <5. That way, muscle mass increase should be minimal. But don't do so if you've just started working with weights.

Or i'd go for high volume, many exercises and sets, high reps, and often, that way you build a good fitness and toned body, without bulk.

Only doing 15 reps instead of 10 won't do the trick, i think, because some people actually gain better with 15 reps. It depends on the muscle, which fibres are dominant. Lower body generally responds well to high reps, upper body to low reps, but of course that varies with the individual, too.