What's the purpose of bulking up?

Bigbwii

Forgive me for asking a stupid question! but I've been bulking up and I've got up to just over 190lbs I just feel fat now and it seems pointless to bulk up then throw half of it all away when you cut down! can you gain muscle without bulking up? and why do people bulk up? I hope someone can help me understand this process as I think I've got the wrong end of the stick! My intention was to get more mass and increase my strength but it seems now that I would get stronger regardless of what I did and now I'm just ended up looking fatter! back in the days I used to workout but I got to a certain size and stopped growing but I wasn't training the way I am now so I'm pretty confident I can build up without bulking up using what I know now! what do you guys think?

Edited by Bigbwii

its much much quicker to bulk in an all out fashion. sure you gain fat, but that means that you are gaining the maximum amount of muscle, as there is a calorific surplus. i wish i could bulk properly, but im a slow slow gainer.

jonathan

sorry,

I don't understand this at all. Blonde?

no worries

when you gain fat whilst bulking, it means that you are gaining as much muscle as your body can take, as the extra calories are turned to fat. if you dont gain fat whilst bulking, it more than likely means that you could gain more muscle, as you arent getting enough calories to satify the stimulus (ie weight training).

hope that is a little clearer

jonathan

I don't think I have much of a say in the matter as I'm growing like wildfire! by the way I start heavy again in about 5 weeks! I think it will all pan out well in the long run! now I know why people calculate thier calories so they can judge how much it takes to get the growth they need while cutting down on any fat surplus!

sorry,

I don't understand this at all. Blonde?

Hey!

Topic:

You can gain muscle without gaining fat. As Johnathan already pointed out your muscle gains will probably be less. It depends on how precise you work with your diet (who does this anyway?).

I think gaining too much fat is not worth the small amount of extra muscle, but a little fat doesn't hurt - makes you look bigger And you're actually stronger.

I'm aiming at 10-12% BF as my maximum while bulking, it's still lean enough to see a sixpack and some definition in the muscles, but at the same time it's an energy storage and i'm stronger. Right now i'm at ~5%

Hey, i wrote that, not Nobbi

My BF was around 8-9% before i started the contest diet. I try to eat as much as possible, but always "clean" food, therefore it's hard for me to gain weight.

With lots of junk food i probably could make better weight gains, but i doubt it would be better quality