Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bodybuilders' athletic abilities (running, jumping etc)
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:11 pm 
Rabbit

Hey there everyone!

Just looked at those pics of the new york Pro-comp on flexonline.com and wondered about one thing:
have you've ever seen huge bodybuilders doing track and field or playing basketball or something?

I remember someone telling me some time ago, that bodybuilders usually are quick as hell and stuff.
They're all about mass and definition, and probaly won't do plymetrics or similar stuff, but anyway: are those huge muscles guaranteeing explosive running and jumping abilities?!

Just curious...

I imagined how it would look like, if one of those guys do a 360-dunk and then rip of the hoop. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:00 pm 
Gorilla

I would imagine that if one trains right, that muscle could = explosive power, quickness, and agility. but if trained for looks only...no dice.

I myself follow Bruce Lee's advice and dont believe in having muscles upon muscles if i cant use them for anything in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:36 pm 
Elephant

Ronnie Coleman can do the splits.

There was one powerlifter that was 300 + that did the splits.

Mark Henry has more verticle than lots of basketball players.

So yup, like Topher said, if you train right, you can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:37 am 
Site Admin

I was just going to say that Ronnie Coleman can do the splits but Kollision beat me to it. Tommi Thorvildson (250 lbs all muscle) does a back flip on stage.

Some huge guys are very active, others have a hard time getting their shirt on and off (Nasser El Sonbaty). It just depends on the athlete, what their athletic background is like and what their current training and streching methods are.

One of the funniest things I've seen is a magazine photo from about 5 years ago. It showed a 280 pound huge bodybuilder riding a bicycle. It was an awesome photo. I don't think that guy will be catching Lance Armstrong.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:12 pm 
Elephant

robert wrote:
One of the funniest things I've seen is a magazine photo from about 5 years ago. It showed a 280 pound huge bodybuilder riding a bicycle. It was an awesome photo. I don't think that guy will be catching Lance Armstrong.

LOL that must have been a site!

Post subject: Reeves, Kono, etc.
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:34 am 
Rabbit

In the "old days" of bodybuilding, or more appropriately, the physical culture days, body building competitions were oftn associated with strength competitions. Also guys like Steve Reeves, not only had incredible physiques, but was also good at balancing, handstands, and gymnastic type moves.

Tommy Kono. one of the few members of the US weight lifting teams to medal, not only was an incredible Olympic lifter, but could probably have won his weight division in most bodybuilding competitions of the days.

Franco Columbo was not only well built, but also incredibly strong, and although is best known for breaking his leg during the "Super Stars" competitions of the 70's, might have wom one if I'm not mistaken.

Frank Zane is apparently an excellent archer, Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared quite athletic in his movies when he was younger, and Sylvester Stallone, who would have been an incredible bodybuilder in the 50's and 60's, showed some excellent physical skills in the Rocky movies.

And of course, as mentioned above, Bruce Lee, who had an incomporable musculature was probably the most athletic of all.
Jon