Gallon water drinkers!

Bigbwii

I used to drink at least a gallon per day, but I've sadly gone down to probably 30-40 oz./day since getting hooked on cheap diet cola again (something that I'd like to eliminate from my diet in 2006). I felt much better when I drank a lot more water - yes, I had to run to the bathroom every 45 minutes, but I think it was worth it. Basically, I kept a 16 oz. glass at my desk at all times, making sure I had at least 5 glasses at work and 3-4 more while at home to round things out. Add in a bit more at the gym and it probably came to a bit more than a gallon per day. Just space it out, sip conservatively every few minutes, and it makes it easiest to get all that water in!

Ryan

I drink about 2 gallons a day.

I drink 750ml at one time for my protein shake.

and then another one of those 750ml at night.

I also carry about a 2 liter container with me that i constantly fill up.

I drink while i walk, ride in a car, workout, rest, work, etc.

I am just always drinking water.

All I drink is water. I have no idea how people don't drink alot of water. I would say I am at a gallon a day, more when working out or training martial arts. I have a gallon jug I refill, as well as several small water bottles I carry in my car. I have a tendency to chug water when working out and training, which I have tried to cut back on, because I end up getting cramps. Sometimes I can't help it, I start taking a sip and next thing I know the bottle is empty

Do you find that water helps you recover from your workouts? I drink a gallon a day and I find that it helps me recoverfrom my workouts and gives me a little pump. I find it helps me to feel clearer in my mind and body!

yes indeed it does.

• 2 months later...
Do you guys drink when thirsty or do you force it a little bit?

No I avoid forcing it. That makes me feel bloated. I just sip water all day long. I try to avoid "feeling thirsty". If I feel thirsty I know I am already dehydrated. That is really bad: headaches, reduced concentration and below optimum performance result. This is just my personal experience.

No I avoid forcing it. That makes me feel bloated. I just sip water all day long. I try to avoid "feeling thirsty". If I feel thirsty I know I am already dehydrated. That is really bad: headaches, reduced concentration and below optimum performance result. This is just my personal experience.

I agree with Gorilla. Sipping all day is better than chugging. Supposedly, you can flood your body and inhibit mineral absorption as well as deplete them.

While very rare, you can drink too much water (deplete your electrolytes):

It is called Hyponatremia or Water Intoxification. If your body depletes its sodium and other electrolytes cellular energy exchange is halted or retarded.

I read that the US military restricts how much water people drink in basic training because there have been deaths from it, during basic training.

It is very rare and when it occurs it usually distance runners that have it but most take sodium and other electrolytes to mitigate the risk.