protein protein PROTEIN!

so im working with a trainer at the time who has advised me to get more protein. i told him about my diet and he reccomended a supplement, im not really into supplements so i'm hoping maybe there's a way to alter my diet to get the right amount of protein. he is going to be monitoring my diet as well.

A trainer suggested a supplement.

I'm not surprised.

We've got a few trainers on here, they may have valuable insight. In the mean time I'd eye a trainer pushing supplements skeptically. In the mean time what JZA said is def. good. And sounds kinda tasty too. Some wild rice and lentils hm.... With a pea sauce!

so im working with a trainer at the time who has advised me to get more protein. i told him about my diet and he reccomended a supplement, im not really into supplements so i'm hoping maybe there's a way to alter my diet to get the right amount of protein. he is going to be monitoring my diet as well.

Let me guess...He took you to their fridge and gave you a wide variety of supplements to choose from?

hehe. Well theres a lot of sources you can go to. There are a variety of shakes on the market, such as rice and soy protein. Also what Jza said is true, however you would need to find a diagram that lists the combinations of food that provide the complete amino acids.

If I may ask, what is the protein requirement that he gave you?

@kol: good question about the protein requirement advice.

@elizabeth: In the so called western world people usually eat too much protein. Did your trainer know how much prots you eat? Did he measure it?

That high Protein/low Carbohydrate theory for muscle groth and fat burning is still around. The advocates of it just tell their lies a thousand times and then surprisingly everyone think their are true.

It might be okay to eat some more legumes etc and a vegan diet of course can meet any protein need but the question still is: how much do you need? And: how much more do you need if you exercise?

Maybe you read this book to get some background knowledge about Atkins and Co.

@kol: good question about the protein requirement advice.

@elizabeth: In the so called western world people usually eat too much protein. Did your trainer know how much prots you eat? Did he measure it?

That high Protein/low Carbohydrate theory for muscle groth and fat burning is still around. The advocates of it just tell their lies a thousand times and then surprisingly everyone think their are true.

It might be okay to eat some more legumes etc and a vegan diet of course can meet any protein need but the question still is: how much do you need? And: how much more do you need if you exercise?

Maybe you read this book to get some background knowledge about Atkins and Co.

Thanks Flanders

BTW, that Atkins diet isn't really that good. A lot of these fad diets arent and are only crash diets. Without adequate Carbohydrates, you start getting ketosis. Carbs are what burn fat for fuel. This can lead to a lot of things that is detrimental to your health and even bad breath.

So yup, Im just waiting to know what the requirements he gave ya are

• 3 months later...

Protein is overated IMO in the BB world. At ate Protein Protein Protein till my digestive system said STOP !! I did this to excess for 6 years to add muscle and I look the about the same...the only time I added muscle was when I lifted heavy. I have dropped my Protein significantly I and gee I still have my muscle and lift the same weights and more energy for cardio a bonus !! So it is important to learn what is right for you...not a number the trainers give you.

Protein is overated IMO in the BB world. At ate Protein Protein Protein till my digestive system said STOP !! I did this to excess for 6 years to add muscle and I look the about the same...the only time I added muscle was when I lifted heavy. I have dropped my Protein significantly I and gee I still have my muscle and lift the same weights and more energy for cardio a bonus !! So it is important to learn what is right for you...not a number the trainers give you.

I find that protein stuffing will give me anywhere from 0 to 10% added strength depending on the exercise. My bench pressing strength improves maybe 5/8%. Overhead press close to 10%. Deadlifts like 10%. But then dips and chins don't improve at all.

The thing is, that protein stuffing never resulted in any long term extra improvements. I could just stay 5/10% stronger as long as I kept stuffing myself full of protein (250... 400 grams a day). Now I get 50 grams a day and on a few exercises I'm 5/10% weaker but my quality of life is a lot better.

I find that protein stuffing will give me anywhere from 0 to 10% added strength depending on the exercise. My bench pressing strength improves maybe 5/8%. Overhead press close to 10%. Deadlifts like 10%. But then dips and chins don't improve at all.

The thing is, that protein stuffing never resulted in any long term extra improvements. I could just stay 5/10% stronger as long as I kept stuffing myself full of protein (250... 400 grams a day). Now I get 50 grams a day and on a few exercises I'm 5/10% weaker but my quality of life is a lot better.

This is interesting that the increase in strength is minimal with a very high amount of protein. You would think it more based on all the propagranda on it.

Yes I find quality of life better to. Is is hardly worth it (for me being female) eating 200 grams a day to add a pound of muscle. I will take the balance in the diet, and life.

• 1 month later...

howdy. Does anyone have any thoughts/data on actual protein percentages? people always talk about high protein, medium protein . . . how does that translate into grams per pound of bodyweight?

My goal is to reach a bodyfat composition of about 5% with bodyweight of about 170.

2g per kilo of bodyweight is a good place to be. I have seen my strength go up considerably without gaining much weight

btw - 5% bf is very very low, and not healthy or sustainable - 7% is ok though, and you would still be shreaded.

Jonathan

A trainer once told me Protein needs to be (x) grams (cant remember) for per lb of LEAN BODY WEIGHT. ie. Body Weight - Weight of BF%age x weight.

I've heard that number recommended, as well as 1 gm. per KILO (2.2 pounds) of body weight.

Eating unnecessary protein is a strain on the kidneys, and a waste, as it will just get peed out!