are dumbbell flyes really that bad?

Hrmm I just read that and all I can say is that its the first time I have heard of such a thing.

same here.

and at the end if says rotator cuff exercises are bad...but then has a link to an article that explains how to do them and stuff.

my thing is this: if you do an exercise and it doesnt cause you any problems, and you see results then keep at it.

I do flys and they feel great.

hm, i don't think i can seriously hurt myself when doing them, the weights i use are still not that much!

perhaps the article aims on athletes doing them with really heavy weights

need some sleep now! good night

I didn't read the article yet, just got home from work.........but I would guess they are referring to people using heavy amounts of weight. Huge bodybuilders using really heavy weights (or anyone for that matter using heavy weights) could do some damage. Especially those bodybuilders who are on steroids and other anabolic drugs who think they can handle more weight than their muscles, ligaments and tendons can really cope with.

Sometimes I have felt some "strange" sensations doing them, but that was because I used heavy weight and had a hard time getting the weights back up after the stretch part of the exercise.

I still do them, but with weight I can control and still feel a burn at 8-12 reps. You can also use cables if makes it easier to balance than with dumbbells.

I'm heading off to the gym in a few minutes to train chest

I didn't read the article yet, just got home from work.........but I would guess they are referring to people using heavy amounts of weight. Huge bodybuilders using really heavy weights (or anyone for that matter using heavy weights) could do some damage. Especially those bodybuilders who are on steroids and other anabolic drugs who think they can handle more weight than their muscles, ligaments and tendons can really cope with.

Sometimes I have felt some "strange" sensations doing them, but that was because I used heavy weight and had a hard time getting the weights back up after the stretch part of the exercise.

I still do them, but with weight I can control and still feel a burn at 8-12 reps. You can also use cables if makes it easier to balance than with dumbbells.

I'm heading off to the gym in a few minutes to train chest

Have a fun time at the gym. The article was speaking of the pressure that develops when the bones hit each other.

Oh man, the workout was awesome! Some of my buddies were there and my chest had such a pump that it stuck out like a bookshelf. I showed my friends and they laughed. You could almost rest a book on it as it was full of blood and totally sticking out. So it was really cool. I also saw one of my basketball buddies at the gym. Now just eating and catching up on e-mails and forum posts.

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I didn't do flys today at the gym, mostly flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, cables, and some shoulder exercises.

Time for more food.......