Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: P90X
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:18 pm 
Gorilla

from browsing the links on the board and the net in general, i found several books/dvd training programs. i was wondering if anybody here has any experience or general knowledge with any of them.

P90X interested me because it is a train at home cycle, and i have a bit of experience with the first P90 program.

i found this book at joemuscle.com and it looks interesting. though it sounds a bit like an infomercial.

and then there is this muscle gaining book that has a direct link from the board. all these seem to focus around a 12 week cycle, which is just in time for spring break. :)

so i was wondering if any could recommend any of these or another one you know about. i'm open for suggestions. gotta start getting ready for the beach you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:53 am 
Elephant

I LOVE P90X! I do all my training at home, and P90X is an excellent program for upper body especially, but also for core (some very innovative core workouts). The 90-day rotation also is very well thought out, and includes strength work (well-sequenced exercises done at your own pace, lots of pull-ups/chin-ups and push-ups for back and chest, effective rest breaks with dynamic stretches), core work ( "Core synergistics" and "Ab Ripper X"), moderate cardio (kickboxing), plyometrcs, yoga (a tough, 90-minute session, once a week).

It all works together very well. I'm on a couple of video fitness forums, and the majority of people who have tried P90X got results similar to me (upper body strength and definition gains, stronger and more defined core). Some of us, me included, didn't find the lower body work enough for us (but the "we" I'm talking about is women, and "we" may need more work in that area to keep the shapes we want...I lost some of the juice in my caboose from doing exclusively P90X lower body, and needed to add in some heavier lower body work. Maybe not a problem for men.)

I never had Power 90, but from what I've read, it doesn't appeal to me. It sounds very basic compared to P90X, which is advanced.

P0wer half hour is another program from BeachBody that is a step up from Power 90. 5 (or 6?) 30-minute workouts that are very good.

P90 Masters is the newest offering in the P90series. It's supposed to be a step between Power 90 and P90X, but the workouts that have come out so far are varied. I really like "Sculpt 5-6" from the previews. Similar weight work to P90X, but in a one-hour,total body workout.

You can read user reviews of these and other workouts at www.videofitness.com (click the "video reviews" on the left).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:30 pm 
Gorilla

i went thru the P90 program. i defintily saw some results. when i first got to this forum i realized i was not eating enough. after all, P90 is primarlly for people trying to slim down or lose weight. i am an ectomorph i am not trying to lose weight, i am trying to gain.

but the P90X program seems to be more aimed towards gaining muscle. which is what i want right now. to gain some definitionin in the upper body, the shoulders, chest, arms. and a six pack never hurts. :) i also like the fact that is is something you can do at home. it saves me time. with my work schedule it would be a hassle to get to the gym everyday. so right now i am leaning towards the P90X program for the exercise and just follow the diet recommended here.

unless someone else can recommend one of the books or some other program that is. i am all ears.

thanks for the link by the way. :)