Never sore

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

dietcoke
Rabbit

Never sore

#1 Postby dietcoke » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:40 pm

I was just wondering, when you weight lift, do you have to have that "sore" feeling the next day? I've never been sore in my life, even after a 3 hour water polo practice and 3 mile run. (coaches were mad...) Or even skiing.

But all the stuff I've read say that I should be "tender" the next day. Is this true?
Quotes of the year from Tim Reed:

"This is not a recreational sport."

"I am tired of losing. I want to win. I want to kick ass."

"I couldn't give shit if you want to "make friends" or "have a good time." "

artystik
Rabbit

#2 Postby artystik » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:15 pm

It sounds like your not resistance training and focusing more on cardio. Lift weights with low reps (ABOUT 70-80% of 1 rep. max, which is at about 6-10 reps) and you'll most likely be sore the next day.

dietcoke
Rabbit

#3 Postby dietcoke » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:19 pm

Sorry, I should've been more clear:

I weight-lifted over the summer, and it was REALLY straining when I actually did it, but an hour later I felt fine. I was just using the cardio as sort of an example--I don't think I've EVER been sore.
Quotes of the year from Tim Reed:

"This is not a recreational sport."

"I am tired of losing. I want to win. I want to kick ass."

"I couldn't give shit if you want to "make friends" or "have a good time." "

CrispyQ
Gorilla

#4 Postby CrispyQ » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:19 am

DietCoke, this is also discussed here:

viewtopic.php?t=1598

The thread doesn't start out that way, but further into it the topic is discussed. 8)
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

Kathryn
Elephant

#5 Postby Kathryn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:46 am

DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) usually hits about 24-48 hours after a workout. It's not necessary to have it to have had a good workout (if you go to the point of failure on at least your last set of an exercise, the workout is good). Doing a type of workout that you are not accustomed to, going up in weights, or doing a lot of negative work (especially the latter) will increase DOMS.

DOMS can be decreased by certain factors, such as stretching after a body part, by a diet high in antioxidants (that helps with recovery). Also, lack of DOMS can just be a sign that you recover very quickly.

Sometimes, endurance-oriented workouts (lower weights, lots of reps) give me much more DOMS than heavier, slower work.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”