Recognizing DOMS as it takes place

I know we all feel the effects of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) 24-48 hours after weight training, but does anyone feel it as it happens?

I work as a security patrol officer, as many of you know; and I was working the day after a leg workout. In the morning I didn't have any soreness and I was walking throughout the entire day. As the day went on, I could actually feel DOMS setting in, hour by hour. It was pretty cool. Usually we don't realized it while it happens. We wake up sore, or stand up after sitting in class, work or at home, and feel the soreness.

So anyway, I thought it was pretty cool, and then as the day went on, it was sore to sit down! That's what I like to feel after busting the legs and butt!

Anyone else ever experience DOMS while it actually happens?

• 9 months later...

uggh, i think i just got this (DOMS). i did lat pulldowns on Wed. Cardio Thur, Speed squats Fri, Cardio Sat. today i woke up and wham, super soreness in my lats. seems like it has already been too long since i worked them, but there is nothing else that could have brought them to this. felt absolutely nothing until this morning. too bad i need my lats today for benching and some subsequent rowing. oh well.

I had a bout of what I'll call ROMS (Rapid-onset muscle soreness!) the other day. It wasn't the lactic acid burn during the workout, or DOMS, but about 1/2 hour after a workout that featured a lot of 1-legged squats (with one foot on a stability ball that you roll in and out while squatting), I was sitting down reading, and my glutes were telling me that they'd had a tough workout!