Sodium Content and Water Intake

I've just got started with my vegan diet so I'm still enjoying veggies and haven't got into many of the fake meat alternatives, but I know they're full of sodium.

I wonder if sodium intake becomes a non-issue if enough water moves through your system? I think you're supposed to only have 3000mg of sodium a day, but mabey it wouldn't be an issue to take in 6000 or mabey even 10,000mg if you're going thru 1.5 gallons of water in that day. I think most of us vegan/fitness folks probably make extra effort to get plenty of water, so mabey that's why you never hear of folks having problems with sodium intake (could lead to high blood pressure I guess).

I don't plan on taking in mass quantities of sodium, but I'm curious from a scientific perspective as to just how quickly you can get extra sodium of your system. Has anyone ever seen any research into this subject?

I find it best to avoid consuming any products containing salt. E.g. with soya milk you have the choice of "natural", which is just water and soya beans or the other kinds with horrible additives, flavourings, sugar, salt.

Or pasta sauces. You could get a ready made pasta sauce in a jar containing sugar and salt...Or you could just buy some tomato puree and make your own sauce, adding a sprinkling of freshly chopped herbs, for example.

If you cut out sodium AND drink loads of water, that's when you will really feel and see a difference in your body.

I remember when my abs became really defined. It was awesome! I analysed what I had been doing for the weeks leading up to that point and identified that a major factor was increasing my water intake.

I had looked up the "science" behind it and discovered that excess sodium is stored in deposits that obscure the definition of your abs.

Drinking more water and avoiding sodium (apart from the small amounts of sodium found naturally in natural foods!) definitely contributes to achieving and maintaining defined abs.

Edited by Gorilla

@kollison

I know sodium causes you to retain water, but that's why I ask, mabey if you take in tremendous amounts of water, the sodium is flushed out more quickly, and there's practically no negative effect. I'm not personally worried about a high sodium diet, I'm just curious about how the body handles the chemistry of the whole thing.

I am not sure about that if it flushes it out, but still, I don't think it would be wise to even try it since it has retaining effects.

The same goes in regards to supplements. Even if you drink massive amounts of water, it doesn't mean they will get flushed out. They still get absorbed either way.

I will ask some personal trainers right now and I will get back with an answer for you.

we have discussed this over on veganfitness, though i cannot remember where.

the consensus was that so long as you arent actually putting salt on your food there isnt any need to watch salt content provided you arent sodium sensative (liver disease, high bloody pressure etc) and are active. people who sweat whilst exercising physically need salt, so cutting it out is dangerous (my aunt used to be on a low salt diet, used to do huge cycle tours in the alps, and passed out one day, whilst cycling due to low sodium).

but 10,000mg is much too much - id try to keep it to 4-5000 at the most.

jonathan

Yes the UK RDA for sodium is 1600mg or 1.6g, equivalent to 4g salt (sodium chloride).

When I first starting training seriously I used to use a sports drink called Viper from Maximuscle during and after exercise. That's really ghastly stuff: it is a luminous powder, to which you add water.

I was convinced by the advertsing that I could not possibly do without it. The sodium/sugar ratio was supposed to be perfect for rehydration and recovery but I reckon it did more harm than good. So unnatural.

You don't see Gorillas sitting back with a bottle of Viper or Gatorade after they've exerted themselves.

These days I make sure I am well hydrated and have eaten enough before my training session.

During my training session I just drink water. About 30 minutes after exercise I have a smoothie made with soya milk, banana, hempseed and golden linseed.

Then about 1 hour after that I usually have a meal of salad and pasta.

The requirements for endurance athletes will be very different to powerlifters and bodybuilders.

Different nutrition for different needs, so...

im not advocating sports hydration drinks - i rarely ever drink them, i think they are for the most part garbage.

but you do need salt. the UK RDA is 2400mg (6g of salt) for the average person. whether you are an endurance athlete for weight training person, you need to get somewhere around that amount of salt, especially if you sweat.

i understand where you are coming from - in an attempt to be more healthy a couple of years back, i totally kicked salt for a while, but there is no actual health reason unless you are in a high risk group.

jonathan

Heres the specific answer that I got that is in response to the sodium:

Water in the urine transports urea, excess salt (sodium) and other waste products such as ketones out of the body.

If you do drink over 2 gallons of water daily over a prolonged period, although very rare, it is possible to overhydrate meaning the body takes in more water than it loses, resulting in low sodium levels in the blood - a condition called hyponatremia.

However, overhydration is indeed rather rare. If your pituitary gland, kidneys, liver and heart are functioning normally, then drinking large amounts of water will NOT cause overhydration.

Hope that helps.