New Personal Best in the Leg Press!

robert

I was inspired tonight by the photo Daywalker and I side-by-side in the photos section. I was inspired by other forum members and by other events as well.

I planned to go in and try for a new personal best on the leg press today. My previous record was 720 pounds for 3 reps I believe. That is 16 45-lb plates and then the weight of the machine, whatever that comes out to be.

Each set felt really easy. I just started out with 2 plates on each side and then went up. I intentionally only did about 10 reps per set rather than failure because I wanted to build up and have energy for the PR. Here is how it went down:

180 lbs 25 reps

180 lbs 20 reps

270 lbs 12 reps

360 lbs 12 reps

450 lbs 10 reps

540 lbs 10 reps

630 lbs 10 reps

725 lbs 11 reps

I had 16 plates on plus a 2 1/2 pound weight on either side to go for the PR. So I beat it by 5 pounds and all got 11 reps with pretty good range of motion!

My old record was from 2003 and I hadn't tried to beat it until now. When Topher was here I only did 540 lbs and it was pretty embarrassing. His legs are a "weakness" for him and he did 630 pounds when we trained together.

So anyway, new PR for me

I know it's not totally heavy, but keep in mind I'm not 190+ lbs I was when I set my old record in 2003. I'm only 170-something right now 8 weeks away from competition.

After this year I will bulk up. I just really want to compete a bunch this year because of the fun of it. I really enjoy it. Then I'll bulk up later. I know Jonathan, Alex and others want me to sit this year out to get bigger but the stage is calling my name. I'll sit out in 07.

-Robert

Nice work on the pb - i have to say that it doesnt mean too much too me as all leg press machines are different in terms of difficulty. but if you are progressing according to that machine, then bonza

now if you were squatting, id know what you were talking about....

jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

Yeah, they are all different, some are easier than others, but this was a nice PB or PR for me It is on a hip-slep leg press. I will start squatting again soon. I'm getting some good lifts in these days

I'll record some squat weights when I get back into it.

-Rob

That's strong, man, stronger than you look!

I haven't used a leg press for almost 4 years, but back then i think my PB was around 340kg for a set of 8 or something. Should be around the same - of course, comparison always depends on the exact machine and technique.

Now let's talk squats!

Thanks Alex. You told me to lift heavy during these final couple of months before my contest, so I'm sticking with it.

We'll talk squats soon! I think I will try to leg press over 800 lbs soon since I got 11 reps at 725.

Haha, stronger than I look. I know I might look very weak compared to you my Green Giant! We'll put it to the test in August at Gold's Gym in Venice and see where we stand!

-Rob

I just got another PR on the Leg Press.

I pumped out 8 reps with 730 pounds, 5 pounds more than last week's 725 pound record.

These reps were not as deep or as full as they were last week, but it was still nice to move "heavy weight" (heavy for me).

I also did some sets of full deep reps too. I did about 9 sets in total, similar to last week where I build up and then do a couple of burn out sets at the end with full range of motion.

Rob

Edited by robert

I got another new personal bests but the reps were ugly.

740 pounds for 4 reps. They were partial reps and looked a little sloppy. I don't think I had enough rest.

I'll start squatting and deadlifting again soon, but for now I'm rockin the leg press.

I know it can be set at different angles, and all that, but anytime you lift more than 16 45-lb plates in any exercise I think it is pretty heavy. 700lbs, to me, is pretty heavy to move and especially when you are slowly lowering it down on top of yourself and have to push it up all the way or you get crushed (which has happened to me twice in the past resulting in injuries to my back and hips).

So anyway, another NEW PR!

I'm going to stick with around 500-600 pounds for deeper reps with greater range of motion as I prepare for the final 6 weeks until my competition. It is sneaking up on me!

April 22nd, EARTH DAY

Not a fan of the leg press?

I don't make excuses, I'm just worried, so I choose alternate exercises. I've been out for many months at a time from lower back injuries, some from squatting when I've collapsed under the bar and smashed my spine up.

I will start them soon, I just look over at the rack, get reminded of the past and get nervous. I'll start with pretty easy weight and then move up from there.

So I do plan on getting back into it, remember squats were at one time my favorite exercise, until they broke me.

But I still got the PR on the leg press

Thanks for the tips Sensless.