Strong-Man training and bicep curls

Hey Big Guys,

I know a few of you have heard this before....what is your take on it?

Some people say, you shouldn't even do bicep curls until your arms are bigger than 16 inches. Some say it is as waste of time to do little bicep curls when you should be doing compound lifts to really build bulk, mass, and strength.

Others say yes, do the compound lifts but also isolate biceps too with training.

What do you guys think about this?

I have been isolating biceps for a long time but I'm thinking of tossing it, at least for a little while and do compound heavy lifts instead. I'll still throw them in every once in a while but I'm going to experiement a little and try some things I've learned from Ryan Wilson, and from reading posts by Jonathan, Sensless, and Wannalift...all currently bigger than me...they must be doing something right!

-Rob

it depends on how you are training. if you are doing rows, farmers walks, and deadlifts ever week then you really don't ever need to do them. its more a question of how to best allocate your time in the gym. you will get so much more out of 3 sets of front squats or Romanian deadlifts than you ever get out of 3 sets of curling. Why not do both, because you are overtraining that way and are not thinking about your next session.

anymore i do them once every 2 weeks or so and usually outside of the gym (that's why i almost never post them in my log). my biceps haven't shrunk or gotten weaker. just the opposite. i was doing curls with 50 lb dumbbells yesterday. not like that's anything to wow about, but i was doing 40-45 lb dumbbells when i was doing them once or twice a week. in the case of bicep work, less is more.

Yeah, I heard this thread was having issues. I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't think the system likes the topic. Maybe I should have named it something else.

If it doesn't seem to let you reply, feel free to e-mail me your response and I can try to post it for you, [email protected]

I will look into it. I know these things happen from time to time. It hasn't happened to me in 4-6 months, back when a few of us had the issue in the Online Training Journals section. I think there is some glitch that I don't know about.

I'll go look for it.

-Rob