Pulled lower back muscle

I pulled my lower back muscle yesterday. Starting to do two hands rows, I bent over and my lower back had a sharp pain and I lost strength (still was able to lower weights to floor.) Bent over, i walked over to sit on my bench. After a few minutes I tried to stand but it was difficult (not painful just low strength to stand - like body not repsonding.)

It does not seem very bad (feels almost regular after sleeping last night but got sore, 30 minutes later.) I exercised on an elliptical this morning, for 30 minutes with no problem. Only pain is after sitting and then standing. I would think it would be okay in a day or two.

Is there any general rule on how long before one should try weight lifting again, after a pull like this? If it feels better, would two days be enough rest or would I probably injury it again, if I only wait two days?

Also, anyone know of any precautions to keep it from happening again or is it just bad luck?

I have hurt my lower back many times. Sorry to hear about your injury. I would give it longer than two days. If you re-injure it, you might be out for a much longer time.

I'd take it easy for a good week or two. I don't know a whole lot about recovery from injuries but the back is something you don't want to mess around with. Be careful and do things that will not bother it at all.

Maybe alternate with heat/ice and general rest. I used to know more about this stuff, but that was years ago.

I hope you're back on the saddle soon!

-Rob

unfortunately, yeah, that sounds pretty normal. The lower back can take a while to heal. I have a lot of lower back injury history so I am very careful with training these days.

I think it will just require some time. You should still be able to train other muscle groups if it doesn't bother your back, but just give your back some time to rest and recover. I'm sure others know more about muscle injury recovery, but I'd say rest, relax, heat and alternate with heat and ice therapy.

I don’t know about for weight lifting, but in general I’ve heard that those belts are bad. I mean I think they might help some, but some times people using them get a since of being invincible then try things that they shouldn’t and actually end up getting hurt more frequently.

Yesterday, I had just minor traces of discomfort. Today, there are no signs.

Should I continue to rest (I have done elliptical machiens twice), taking the safe side or you think it is okay to lift weights this weekend?

I would continue to rest just to be sure. Do what you can, but don't push it. Everytime I come back from an injury too soon and hurt myself again (especially the back), I always think, "why didn't I just take a couple more days off, what harm would that have done?"

Rest up and come back fired up!