Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: I am really sick of trying to gain muscle and not succee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:48 pm 
Manatee

Thanks bro,

Yes, the pain has never ever been there prior to the illness. Since then I have had off/on leg pain, knees, hips, etc and this is well before trying to squat again. In fact, as I was saying two weeks ago I felt great.....amazingly so and had a great workout. A week later....my hips and knees were killing me, so no squatting that day! I am also an avid snowboarded and even after all this hip/knee pain started...I have had some full days of snowboarding and also hard downhill mountain biking in Colorado with no pain...so I know what is causing it. :( At least I hope I do.
I am pretty in tune with my body in that way.

You know that is a good point on the going to failure concept. I do find myself going to failure quite often...especially in chest and back exercises. Rather I might take anew approach....and try to hit a certain number of reps and then up the weight and work back up to that number of reps but avoid failure.

Great point on the squatting and deads bro. I was wondering the same thing. I might just hit it hard with one or the other and then do a few accessory movements like calf raises and some ab work but make the squat or dead the focus. I fear a little of the squat about compression of the spine and my height. Quite a few articles I read talk about compression of the spine while squatting and also the fact that some people over 6' really should not be squatting....and that the trap bar dead is the best alternative.

So I still wonder about the overlap of doing deads and back the same week......McRobert also talks about all the work the shoulders do in a complete week of lifting. Hmm....never thought of it that way, he makes some nice points.

Finally, with my left shoulder issue since I got sick...shoulder press is too painfull. However I can do chest pressing/inclines and weighted dips all day long...just not overhead. :(

I agree on the big, basic exercises. That is partly why I have been re-reading Beyon Brawn. I sort of lost site of that.

By the way...I played tennis for three hours yesterday and was sore enoguh today to skip my leg workout. Plus work was crazy so I couldn't get away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:42 pm 
Elephant

From a muscle building standpoint, overhead pressing isn't necessary, so that isn't such a big deal. You can get all the development you need from various dips and horizontal presses, with some lateral raises possibly for accessory work.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm 
Manatee

cubby2112 wrote:
From a muscle building standpoint, overhead pressing isn't necessary, so that isn't such a big deal. You can get all the development you need from various dips and horizontal presses, with some lateral raises possibly for accessory work.

Thanks bro. I was thinking the same. People seem to overlook the dip and I have really been getting into doing heavy dips. I throw in a few sets of lateral raises for good measure....but some people also forget good form is essential with lateral rasies otherwise setting up for an injury is possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 pm 
Manatee

I believe my diet is holding me back. Having to avoid gluten, soy and most anything made with flour or anything that is not whole intact carbs is killing me. I have a huge apetite and fast metabolism. 4,000 is about minimum what I need to sustain life...I eat a lot. I should be eating 5-6,000 calories but can't.

I am also struggling with the squat and deadlift. I was told I am too tall for those big exercises. I was told my knees will always get in the way with deads causing poor form and was told I am too tall for squats to be performed properly. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 am 
Rabbit

Try rack pulls instead of deadlifts. This will also put most of the focus on the back which (to me) is awesome! This allows me to really keep up the intensity on both legs and back. I still dead from the floor sometimes but in a romanian style so as to keep the hams out of the equation. Regardless Arnold was 6'2" and squatted like a mofo ;) You do what you feel can be done. Don't listen to someone saying you can't unless you have actually tried. If you truly feel that squatting is doing nothing but hurting you then don't bother. There are some bodybuilders who literally never squat. They utilize the Hack squat and leg press. Is this great for strength? probably not but it WILL build muscle. There's nothing you can't work around bro. If there are guys in wheel chairs showing off amazing muscular physiques then I'll be damned if you or I can't. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:32 am 
Manatee

MrSwolehouse wrote:
Try rack pulls instead of deadlifts. This will also put most of the focus on the back which (to me) is awesome! This allows me to really keep up the intensity on both legs and back. I still dead from the floor sometimes but in a romanian style so as to keep the hams out of the equation. Regardless Arnold was 6'2" and squatted like a mofo ;) You do what you feel can be done. Don't listen to someone saying you can't unless you have actually tried. If you truly feel that squatting is doing nothing but hurting you then don't bother. There are some bodybuilders who literally never squat. They utilize the Hack squat and leg press. Is this great for strength? probably not but it WILL build muscle. There's nothing you can't work around bro. If there are guys in wheel chairs showing off amazing muscular physiques then I'll be damned if you or I can't. :D

Great point brother. I always hear you must squat and dead to even build upper body mass due to the changes those exercises have on the entire body, plus the boost in testosterone.

Leg press can be scary because I find it can be hell on the low back. Lots of people don't realize the dangers of the leg press and that if done correctly, I find the squat safer. Maybe I am trying to hard to up the weight! I find I have difficulty going to parallel unless I use light weights. As soon as I get to 225 or higher.....I have limited range of motion. I thikn I need to take the Stuart McRobert approach and go slow, adding weight slowly...when ready and let it happen slowly. Having never been a squatter...I am pushing this to fast. That might be my issue. A few of you mentioned that! Lighter weights...I can have great form and feel solid.
Having never been a squatter, I am confused on the going to parallel thing. Should I go to parallel or should I stay above?

For deadlifting, I prefer trap bar deads but I use a wide stance with squats and deads and that is tough with a trap bar so maybe I need to work on bringing my stance in.

Not being able to eat a lot is killing me right now and the issues I have with my left arm kills me. Pissed me off.

This is intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6SJf1TcMks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 am 
Rabbit

HAHA! that's the scene that was in my head when I wrote my response earlier about Arnold and squatting! :D The thing with leg press is feet placement, especially you being taller. Place your feet high on the board and wide. Also point your toes outward just like you would on a squat. This will take some strain off and it also allows the hamstrings to assist more. I'm only 5'10" but this helped me a lot with the leg press becoming more user friendly with the heavier weight and I also feel it makes it more of a complete leg exercise instead of just being quad dominant.

If you feel great on the squat going a bit lighter than by all means stick with that. I have a few people that I help train use lighter weight, but I make them go past parallel honestly. I use a wider stance and point my toes out. If you make sure to track your knees over the toes this way then you can be sure that it will feel "normal". This also allows me to go down until my calves touch my thighs without any discomfort and going past parallel is where you really get the hamstrings to kick in :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 pm 
Manatee

I wonder if I need to invest in new shoes as well that will work well for squatting. I know you don't want abnormally high heels in sneakers or too soft a shoe or foot bed. I have very wide feet and are difficult to buy for. Only thing I could find in my size (12 - 6E) are the Drew Thunder so that is my main sneaker for everything from lifting to tennis. :)
http://www.drewshoe.com/storeproduct118.aspx
http://www.drewshoe.com/storeproduct222.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 pm 
Rabbit

Well in all reality leg workouts are honestly best done in your socks :) A lot of pro body builders either wear very flat shoes or just a pair of socks. But now the new craze is Vibram's. A ton of people are switching over to these and having less joint issues and pain. It's definitely becoming more popular and I will be getting a set shortly!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 pm 
Rabbit

I want my next pair of shoes to be vibram as well - KSO most likely.

Check these out though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nhW9cd5HN4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:33 am 
Stegosaurus

boardn10 wrote:
I wonder if I need to invest in new shoes as well that will work well for squatting. I know you don't want abnormally high heels in sneakers or too soft a shoe or foot bed. I have very wide feet and are difficult to buy for. Only thing I could find in my size (12 - 6E) are the Drew Thunder so that is my main sneaker for everything from lifting to tennis. :)
http://www.drewshoe.com/storeproduct118.aspx
http://www.drewshoe.com/storeproduct222.aspx

Typically, there are two types of shoes you may want for squatting -

1. If you squat high-bar, close-stance like Olympic lifters do, then an Olympic lifting type shoe with a solid heel (or, boot that's similar) will usually be best.

2. If you have a wider stance, then flat shoes like Converse All Stars or something similar is ideal.

You don't "need" a heel on a shoe even with close stance, but so many people swear by them, it is hard to deny the fact that they really help a lot of people with their squats. Me, I've been prone to flat shoes since I use a medium to wide stance, which gives optimal support for how I squat. Of course, you can always do the "stick a 5 lb. plate under your heels" trick if you only have flat shoes, but I myself have never found that to be all that comfortable.

I did my best squatting in Montrail hiking shoes, but I don't recommend it unless you REALLY have your form down well. It gave me a marginal heel, but you could really see the EVA midsoles squishing out once I'd get 500 lbs. on my back, which meant they weren't all that stable. Some people can get away with it, but again, I don't recommend anything like that until you've been squatting for a few years with regularity and can mess around with unstable footwear (it was comfortable, if nothing else!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:10 am 
Manatee

I am finding instability in my shoes as I use heavier weights now. Problem is, I wear a size 6E! That is 6EEEEEE. Not many make shoes that wide. Chuck Taylors. Their size 12 is like half the width of my foot! Yikes.

Now what? :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 am 
Rabbit

VeganEssentials wrote:
Typically, there are two types of shoes you may want for squatting -

1. If you squat high-bar, close-stance like Olympic lifters do, then an Olympic lifting type shoe with a solid heel (or, boot that's similar) will usually be best.

2. If you have a wider stance, then flat shoes like Converse All Stars or something similar is ideal.

You don't "need" a heel on a shoe even with close stance, but so many people swear by them, it is hard to deny the fact that they really help a lot of people with their squats. Me, I've been prone to flat shoes since I use a medium to wide stance, which gives optimal support for how I squat. Of course, you can always do the "stick a 5 lb. plate under your heels" trick if you only have flat shoes, but I myself have never found that to be all that comfortable.
I use a 1/2 inch thick piece of board.

Last edited by Slim on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:07 am 
Manatee

Any board under your heels will destroy your knees over time. Every single well written book I have read on power lifting or strength training has strongly advised to not use anything under your heels for risk of serious kneed injury. Problem is...many guys do not experience the symptoms till later in life or when it is too late. I remember reading McRobert's book and how he said using a board for squating destroted his knees over time.

I talked to the strength trainer for Villanova's football team and he said he does not allow any of his players to use a board for this reason. He has a PHD in Exercise Physiology.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:38 am 
Rabbit

boardn10, I have to use a board because the floor of my entire 1st floor apartment tilts slightly downwards towards the street. It is not noticable to the naked eye. I discovered this the first time I squatted on it because I felt "off" and my knees hurt. The board corrected the floor imbalance problem.

I do not do powerlifting squats. I only do full squats.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next