Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sumo Rack?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 pm 
Manatee

I workout in my apartment (currently ceiling height is 100") and I'm currently looking for some type of rack, came across this sumo rack from New York Barbells http://newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html
What do you think of the sumo rack? or should I just go with a power rack (http://newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html)

Post subject: Re: Sumo Rack?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:25 pm 
Stegosaurus

I have a friend who had the Sumo Rack from NYBB, he said it was perfect for their basement with a low ceiling (only about 7.5' total height clearance) and used it for years without any complaints. NYBB stuff that has nothing in the way of moving parts is always a great deal - just beware anything they sell for machines, as my experience with their Glute/Ham/Reverse Hyper machine has been anything but good!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:40 pm 
Manatee

I use a power rack that has a chin up bar, lat pulldown/tricep extension system. I believe I would personally prefer that over the sumo rack...I have a low ceiling as well (7'5") , and my power rack is 6'9".

The chin bar is angled in such a way, (kinda like an EZ curl bar) that I can still use it in that low height ceiling.

I have made it a habit to get back into the mindset that every workout is war. All-out, 100% do-it-or-die-trying war. If you want to get bigger and/or stronger, lifting won't be fun most days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 pm 
Stegosaurus

Sounds like you found a decent rack, katz! Most tend to be around 8' or more, making it tough to get something for low clearances.

The Sumo Rack by NYBB has one distinction that some people prefer, in that it has a wider base than most power racks. So, for those that squat wide, want to do sumo deadlifts in the rack, etc., it can be nice, where some racks don't offer more than 3 to 3.5' of interior width. But, that all depends on what you do with it - unless you really want more width to play around in, the Sumo Rack isn't anything special, just a low-cut power rack :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:57 pm 
Manatee

Past few days been tossing to get either a sumo rack or power rack, only thing stopping me from getting a power rack is the height issue for the future...

katz wrote:
I use a power rack that has a chin up bar, lat pulldown/tricep extension system. I believe I would personally prefer that over the sumo rack...I have a low ceiling as well (7'5") , and my power rack is 6'9".

The chin bar is angled in such a way, (kinda like an EZ curl bar) that I can still use it in that low height ceiling.

What brand is that, that makes a 6'9" power rack?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:32 pm 
Manatee

I have the Weider C670. It is actually classified as a home gym, as it comes with preacher curl/leg attachment, pec deck, as well the bench. I have been through several pieces of home gym equipment, and I am finally satisfied with this unit.

It is not the heaviest unit on the market by any means, with a max. cap. on the weight rests of 310 lb. I have had more than that on it when doing squats though...

Most folks figure Weider as cheap junk, and a lot of it is, but this unit in particular was built fairly solid. The welds are extremely nice & generous, there is no rocking/shifting or sway movement when using the rack.

It was inexpensive enough at my local Sam's club a few years ago, & since I workout alone often, I needed something that would afford safety in the absence of a spotter. I would definitely like to "buy bigger" in the future, but for now this is working just fine.

I am actually looking at purchasing a Powertec system in the future; they have some nice power racks, as well as their line of multi-gyms. I see that the Powertec WB-PR10 is only 6' 11 1/2".

I have made it a habit to get back into the mindset that every workout is war. All-out, 100% do-it-or-die-trying war. If you want to get bigger and/or stronger, lifting won't be fun most days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:44 pm 
Manatee

katz wrote:
I am actually looking at purchasing a Powertec system in the future; they have some nice power racks, as well as their line of multi-gyms. I see that the Powertec WB-PR10 is only 6' 11 1/2".
Sweet, I was planning on going to the local fitness equipment store and checking out the WB-PR10 this weekend, that was if I don't get antsy and order a sumo rack :P

::Update Sept 14 @ 7:10pm - got an email reply from this local fitness equipment store, powertech power cage currently "on sale" for $499.99CAD (bench and weights not included)
(not sure if that a good price)