Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Has anyone put on mass from bodyweight exercises alone?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm 
Finch

I have been using Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym".

He is a former Navy Seal trainer, and the book is entirely bodyweight conditioning. He presents four 10 week programs that grow progressively harder: beginner, intermediate, advanced, and elite. He weighs close to 200 punds, and is pretty muscular.

I am in the advanced 10 week cycle, and have put 2 inches on my chest, and 2 inches on my arms, an inch on my calves, about a half inch on my thighs and neck, and my waist has stayed about the same (I would like to lose a little there). I have gained 15 pounds overall. I eat 6 to 7 vegetarian (mostly vegan) meals a day, consuming at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of desired weight, and once a day, I use a vegan meal replacement packed with protein, fiber, and the recommended daily value for vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.

I'm still on the small side (150 pounds at 5'6"). I was always a "hard gainer". But I have seen better results on this program then anything else I have tried. I think bodyweight exercises, like 1-armed push-ups, work more muscles than some forms of weight lifting that often isolate specific muscles. The first time I actually successfully did more than one 1-armed push-up, my obliques were sore for two days, as well as my chest and triceps.

When I first started this work-out program, I thought a 1-handed push-up and a 1-legged squat was literally impossible for me, or would take years and years to work into.

But I stuck with the program anyway. And 27 weeks later, I am cranking out about 10 of each (1-armed push-ups on each hand, and 1-legged squats on each leg) before hitting failure. And I know how to make these exercises harder when they get too easy - for example, elevate the feet for the push-ups, and stand on a pillow for the 1-legged squats.

It simply is not true that you cannot make bodyweight exercises harder when you find it easy to hit high reps doing it the way you were always doing it before. Mark Lauren explains that when a body-weight exercise seems too easy, you can always do it with one limb, or change your leverage, or your stability to make it harder.

Move from push-ups to one-armed push-ups against the wall, and then one-armed push ups with the hands elevated on a chair, then one-armed push ups on the floor (which is as far as I have gotten). Mark would have you move next to one-armed push-ups with the feet elevated on a chair (elite course).

I imagine that beyond his elite course, you'd eventually do one-armed hand-stand push-ups, then one-armed hand-stand push-ups with the hand on a ball, etc....(you get the idea). By the time you can crank out 50 or 100 one-armed hand-stand push-ups with the hand on a ball, I think you'd have already seen some results in your body!!!!

Oh. And if you add some power/ashtanga yoga on your rest days, and get some cardio a few times a week, eat right and sleep right, I don't see how you can't see some results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:08 pm 
Gorilla

I started Mark Laurens program, it is really a butt kicker.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm 
Gorilla

I'm at the interval stes. It says 3 minute intervals. So 3 minutes for one set? The first set goes to muscle failure and than rest until the 3 minute ends? Than start a new set?
And it says at the interval sets to do 6-12 reps and 3 sets. But sometimes that 3×12 is not that hard. Or should I do all stes to failure?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:37 am 
Gorilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu6bDdKO ... ideo_title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 am 
Manatee

This chap, LittleBeastM, is very strong and does some very impressive things. He uses bodyweight-type exercises but adds extra weight for some of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHcon7ZguM

LittleBeastM Sharpening The sword' Raw Strength'

Then he is seen doing some triceps exercises on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRwdZLZ_fg

Easy But Very Effective Tricep Routine (Megasuperset!!)

Does anyone know how he can do so many reps without rest but still build such impressive strength? I would have to join youtube to ask him. I also wonder how often he trains like that. I doubt if it's every day.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:24 am 
Gorilla

I need to figure out how to do dips at home

Those videos are very impressive. Maerk Lauren says you can add some extra weights if you feel you need to, something you can find at home

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm 
Manatee

I used to do dips between two chairs. I put 3 yellow pages on each to increase the height. It meant I had to keep my legs bent all the time with my knees near my waist but it allowed me to do dips. I used to place my hands on top of the books, but press up handles on top of the books would have given a better hand position.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 pm 
Elephant

Cool vids. That guys is a monster with dips. 3 reps at 220lbs bodyweight + 215lbs added weight!?! Ridiculous...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 am 
Rabbit

MartinVegartin wrote:
This chap, LittleBeastM, is very strong and does some very impressive things. He uses bodyweight-type exercises but adds extra weight for some of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHcon7ZguM

LittleBeastM Sharpening The sword' Raw Strength'

Then he is seen doing some triceps exercises on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRwdZLZ_fg

Easy But Very Effective Tricep Routine (Megasuperset!!)

Does anyone know how he can do so many reps without rest but still build such impressive strength? I would have to join youtube to ask him. I also wonder how often he trains like that. I doubt if it's every day.

He posts a lot over here http://bar-barians.forumotions.com/
Lots of bodyweight stuff, mainly pull-ups, muscle ups and dips though

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:15 am 
Manatee

mtguy1976 wrote:
MartinVegartin wrote:
He posts a lot over here bar-barians.forumotions.com
Lots of bodyweight stuff, mainly pull-ups, muscle ups and dips though

Yes, I saw that forum. Thanks. I thought of joining but don't want to join yet another forum.