Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: 80/10/10 diet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm 
Manatee

I am trying out this 80/10/10 diet. Second day, and really hungry and light headed. Anyone else tried this out? What has been your experience? All raw, mostly fruit. I would love some feedback on any results.

Post subject: Re: 80/10/10 diet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm 
Elephant

It depends on exactly what you have eaten but that is a large change in diet for most people. Also some people get filled up on protein, which the 811 diet has a low amount of. It could also be a calorie deficit, or even an excessive intake of sugars with low fiber to balance the uptake. Can you provide more details?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:33 pm 
Rabbit

Maybe it's some healing crisis.
should try it longer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
Rabbit

I have been on the diet for almost 2 years. The best diet and thing I have ever done for myself and for my fitness.

Most people initially underconsume in calories from carbohydrates. This is due to the fact that the standard cooked fare is far more calorie dense than fruits. It may take a week or two for your stomach to regain its natural elasticity and allow you to consume more water and fiber rich foods. Just one of the great benefits of 811rv is the opportunity to eat large amounts of nutrient dense foods.

Check out the results Dr. Graham has been reaping after 25 years on 811rv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzk-jh1eemI

You can check out more on his site, www.foodnsport.com

Wishing You Abundant Health! Go to Health!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:33 am 
Manatee

last 2 days have been somewhere between 1200-1400 cals. Raw fruit all day; bananas, apples, berries, melon and dinner is veggie salad; lettuce and broccoli with 1 tbl flax oil. I am currently 5' 7" 155 with quite a bit of muscle. Need to drop 10 lbs. of body fat Training for contest 5-7x per week 60mins weights, 30mins cardio. I am pretty shakey and dizzy right now and not feeling great on this plan. What should I change to increase energy and feel better on this?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 am 
Rabbit

Hello Paige,

Thanks for detailed information to help with assisting you.

I highly recommend consuming more calories from sweet fruits; bananas, dates, grapes, mangoes, figs, etc. I found it easier to do this in smoothie form, especially in the beginning stages. It also may be wise to eat more meals if need be to get in the calories.

You are 5'7" and 155 lbs. Based on your physical exertion as well, you at least need to be consuming 2500 calories a day. Your biggest meal should come within 2 hours after completing your training. Try a 15 banana smoothie after working out. OR A 10 banana smoothie with dates, figs, or mangoes added. This will allow you to consume 1500 calories in one sitting. If this is not possible yet, then have 700 calories for breakfast, 1000 calories for post workout, and then consume the final 800 calories combined with your salad.

I recommend you drop out the refined flax oil. Oil is 100% fat. I doubt this is the reason you are consuming it, but it is unnecessary and hinders your recovery. Especially if your goal is to drop body fat, I recommend dropping out overt fat sources. Fruits and vegetables already average at 5-6% of calories coming from fat.

Dizzy and shaky are not fun things to feel. I empathize with you. When consuming enough calories this feeling is non-existent. If you do feel tired I urge you to rest as the body does its most efficient healing, rebuilding (of muscle and tissue), and eliminating of toxins while we are sleeping and resting.

You will be gaining health and physique with this program, you have made a wise observation and choice.

Keep the questions coming! Keep up the great work!

GO TO HEALTH!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 am 
Manatee

Thank you sooo much for the extensive feedback. I am going to actually eat more often to get the cals down. My stomach is having a tough time with this program so I am going to just space it out to be able to eat enough. 2500 seems huge to me. But that sounds like the right solution. I will drop out the flax oil too to see if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:10 pm 
Rabbit

doug graham is not a real doctor and nobody should follow any nutritional advice he gives. He is a chiropractor and he doesn't know a damn thing about what people should or shouldn't be eating. Most of what he says is just dangerous and people need to stop promoting that quack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:52 pm 
Manatee

goob: you might be right, I don't know. But heck it is worth trying for a week. Enough people say they love the program to give it a shot. Alot of people say that veganism is dangerous and that vegans can't build muscle. We know that is not true. I have more muscle as a vegan then I had as a meat eater. Who not raw fruits and veggies? Can't hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:59 pm 
Rabbit

Doctors have been known to prescribe drugs of all varieties, all of them poisonous. Doctors have performed surgeries on the wrong patients. Doctors have killed many people with wrong advice. Doctors have also done some good as well.

I think it might be wise to focus on the legitimacy of the advice rather than the person or credentials.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 pm 
Rabbit

Quote:
doug graham is not a real doctor

Damn right!!! That is a good thing. Dr's are NOT nutritionists or dietitians. Doug is a RESEARCHER with a PhD
Quote:
he doesn't know a damn thing about what people should or shouldn't be eating

He wrote the book on it.
Quote:
Most of what he says is just dangerous and people need to stop promoting it.

People have been saying that for years; and trying to squelsh the 811 talk. But it's only increased! Why?

1. Nature has proven this as natural, and therefore, works.
2. What works, grows in popularity.
3. Doug stands the test of time: 30 years on 811.
4. Doug's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzk-jh1eemI . Hardly anyone Doug's age can do those exercises. NO other rawfood "gurus" could even remotely come close to doing that on their high fat/fruit-phobic diets.

I've been lifting weights on 811 for 2 years, and getting better all around. I'm 43(most people my age are falling apart now)

My Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Gary1111001

I won't stop - won't flip flop - headed to the top

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:44 pm 
Elephant

5% fat intake is too low. No exceptions.

I am all for cutting out oil in a diet, but that flax oil should be replaced with ground flax seeds (another great ingredient in a blender).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:02 pm 
Stegosaurus

New World Vegan wrote:
4. Doug's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzk-jh1eemI . Hardly anyone Doug's age can do those exercises. NO other rawfood "gurus" could even remotely come close to doing that on their high fat/fruit-phobic diets.

It's not simply that they couldn't do it due to their diets being ineffectual for allowing one to be physically fit and strong, but you can't take the small handful of raw "gurus" who look like they haven't worked out a day in their lives and use it as a comparison :wink: If they were concerned with using physical fitness as their key to promoting what they are pushing, I'm sure they'd look a lot better than they do. However, most are too busy selling raw chocolate bars that cost $10 for 2 oz. or are more worried about their next Vision Quest to connect with the spirits in the Andes :D

I've met a couple of guys in their 60s/early 70s who lived their entire lives off of meat-heavy diets, and these guys could toss Dr. Graham around like a bean bag if they were so inclined, their levels of fitness and strength are amazing for their age. It doesn't mean that their diets are superior, moreso that they trained hard, trained consistently, and worked out intelligently for many years to get where they did. Heck, a friend of mine who is no longer around (RIP) was a top-level division 1 athlete in college, and 90% of his food consisted of $1.00 per box pasta eaten twice per day with a little tomato sauce. Healthy? Not really. Did he thrive on it for a few years during times he had no money for quality food to where he was at the top of his field? Yes. But, I wouldn't go around claiming that it was the key to his success in sports, as that would be denying the real reasons he accomplished what he did.

Sometimes, people become more enamored with the cult of personality behind someone who wants to prove a "superior" diet than to consider the history that got them to where they are. If someone showed me a pic of Dr. Graham from 3 years ago and I saw that he was a 300 lb. couch potato, I'd say that the diet itself may have lent a great deal to his accomplishments. However, if he was doing these same exercises 20 years ago, maintaining is very different from progressing, something to consider.

If people choose to follow the 80/10/10, that's all fine and good. However, there's still no evidence to prove it superior to anything else aside from some people saying they "feel more alive" or something of that sort, but just as well, I've seen no shortage of people who say it makes them feel like crap. Anything "perfect" does not have the option to be so drastically split for opinion, so I simply view it as anything else, a diet radical in concept that sounds somewhat healthy, but simultaneously sounds like it would make me miserable to do myself (not to mention, I know my body well enough to be aware that I'd fall apart by doing it, low fat low protein is the opposite of what I thrive on).

Best of luck to those who do it, I just prefer a little more science and a little less "religious faith" in my diet programs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:24 pm 
Manatee

Well said VE. The dude's a complete quack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:42 pm 
Stegosaurus

VeganEssentials wrote:
I just prefer a little more science and a little less "religious faith" in my diet programs

x1000000

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next