80/10/10 diet

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Eiji
Manatee

Re: 80/10/10 diet

#121 Postby Eiji » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 pm

HIT Rob wrote:"Were made for carbs; not fat"

Our brain, CNS, and Skeletal musculature system derive most of their energy from glucose, however the fact is, the body can find other pathways to produce more than enough glucose for these systems to thrive on zero carb intake, Hence why there is NO essential carbs.

The first sentence is true. Now the next statement while also true leaves out some important issues:
Gluconeogenesis is the conversion of proteins/amino acids to glucose, the preferred fuel for the body. This process is incredibly inefficient and produces toxic urea from the extra H+ ions as a byproduct. Your kidneys then have to work hard to get that out of your system. The urea turns into ammonia in the body and that is why sometimes sweat can smell like cat piss when someone is exercising in a carb deficient state.
Ketosis/fatty acid metabolism byproducts are ketones like acetone. They are very acidic and toxic to the body and causes metabolic acidosis in the body. Also overworking the kidneys. Why anyone would want to force their body into ketosis is beyond stupid.

The reasoning that somehow carbs are not our best fuel because we don't have essential carbs is complete rubbish.
Forcing our bodies to run on protein or fat is akin to putting diesel in a formula one.
Try running fast in a carb depleted state
Try working out carb depleted

Low carb diets are complete rubbish, destroy performance, and are unhealthy.
Check out plantpositive YouTube channel
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#122 Postby HIT Rob » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Just like in exercise or medicine, there is an individual response when it comes to dietary requirements, many individuals do much better on a lower carb diet vs a high carb diet, and visa versa. I personally do very well being fat adapted (my irregular heart beat has improved greatly), and I use carbs for performance and glycogen replenishment (my performance and lean body mass has only improved).
I also have only one normal functioning kidney, its function gets tested every 6 months, since becoming more fat adapted, my kidney function has actually improved.

Best
Rob

Eiji
Manatee

#123 Postby Eiji » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:45 pm

HIT Rob wrote:Just like in exercise or medicine, there is an individual response when it comes to dietary requirements, many individuals do much better on a lower carb diet vs a high carb diet, and visa versa. I personally do very well being fat adapted (my irregular heart beat has improved greatly), and I use carbs for performance and glycogen replenishment (my performance and lean body mass has only improved).
I also have only one normal functioning kidney, its function gets tested every 6 months, since becoming more fat adapted, my kidney function has actually improved.

Best
Rob

You're probably right Rob but you are still running on carbs for your workouts. are you less than 40% carbs? My point was that going low carb was not ideal for athletic performance and I think that less than 40% of caloric intake is considered low carb.
The 80/10/10 has not been shown to be ideal for athletes either. I shoot for 70/15/15. At 3500 cal that would be 132g protein per day. More than enough I think. Carbs are needed for protein sparing and for fat burning. Too much protein and not enough carbs and you're forcing protein usage for energy not fat usage. Using protein as an energy source is not good.
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#124 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Oh god yeah, the high order fibers are purely glycolytic, carbs are a must for HIT. Completely agree, protein is not a good fuel source, its takes a lot of self experimentation to get the protein just right on a ketogenic diet. For me, I need no more than 100-120 grams of protein daily, ive gone up to 150-200+, however its too much. On a none training day my carbs would not exceed 30-50grams, on a training day i go triple that, but then every so often ill have a high carb - low fat day or two. Im a big believer in variation, and being sporadic / chaos theory, both with training and diet.

Melo11
Finch

#125 Postby Melo11 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:33 pm

Nice, but the quantity of calories should feed the muscles to keep them working.

jenng
Finch

#126 Postby jenng » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi all I am new to this site and just wanted a little more clarification on what exactly the 811 diet is?

Doublade
Rabbit

#127 Postby Doublade » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:48 pm

The dude's a complete quack.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”