Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you pull through a tough workout on little sleep?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:10 am 
Manatee

I was only able to get about 5 hours sleep last night and I have a heavy chest workout today. I slept great all week but had a bad night last night. Typically I will just tough through and then catch up sleep in the following nights. You all think this is OK? It is interesting though that even after little sleep, I can still be very strong in the gym.

-Rich

Post subject: Re: How do you pull through a tough workout on little sleep?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 am 
Gorilla

I rarely sleep more than 5 or 6 hours. It is individual thing. I worry sometimes about not getting enough sleep, and I really envy people who are able to sleep for 8 or 10 hours. I have all the time in the world for sleeping (i do not work), but I simply can not stay in bed after 5 or 6 hours of sleep. I perform in gym very well, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm 
Elephant

I get used to it - I need around 7 horurs but often get only 6 or less, and I really feel it towards the end of the week.

Tired when you get up, and the rest of the day is a battle to get through.

Still lift/run though, and usually quite effectively despite lack of rest and recovery as I get used to it. Some workouts I am drained before I start but just get on with it.

There was some research on sleep published only last week, and 6hrs was seen as the critical point -

'Researchers find 'unequivocal' link between lack of sleep and increased risk of premature death' - http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/ ... ture-death

'If you sleep less than six hours per night and have disturbed sleep, you stand a 48 percent greater chance of developing or dying from heart disease' - http://www.news-medical.net/news/201102 ... Study.aspx

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ttack.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... early.html

However this is a more measured review of the new research - http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/02February/ ... -risk.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:03 am 
Site Admin

If I'm feeling short on sleep or just sluggish or tired to try to get some carbs in me right away before the workout. I eat fruit before and evening during my workouts when I'm feeling a bit tired. I also use energy drinks, pre-workout drinks, and just mentally prepare myself to give me that extra push to make it through even if I'm a little tired.

Then I do my best to catch up on rest.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:40 pm 
Rabbit

In Ayurveda, they say it is essential to go to sleep by 10:00 PM in order to be in harmony with natures rhythm's.

I've heard that the liver performs an essential cleansing function at 11:00 PM and you need to be asleep for this to take place properly.

Also I have heard that sufficient sleep is required for balanced testosterone and growth hormone levels.

Plus one should wake up naturally without a jarring alarm clock.

Personally, I find I need at least 7 to 8 hours sleep and I wake up with a iPod/iPhone app called Relax Alarm Clock which gradually increases the volume of a relaxing guitar sound.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 pm 
Manatee

In my experience, you won't be able to lift heavy. You could do a lighter workout with more reps, to just activate the muscles and keep the blood flowing. And you'll be glad you did it:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 pm 
Finch

Agree that it's an individual thing, but if I HAVE to lift, then I take lots of coffee before the workout. Otherwise, I just rest.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:21 pm 
Rabbit

5 hours of sleep is plenty - don't worry about that. Well let menrephrase that - if you usually sleep like 7-8 hours and you got 5 one night - don't worry a bit about it. It's not a big deal, it's not even a little deal. Even if you got 5 hours of sleep everynight you'd be fine. Butif you arefeeling sluggish turn up the head phones and eat a powerbar or snickers bar before working out (snickers only if you are not on a strict diet and don't need to cut any weight).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:50 pm 
Gorilla

fatburningfurnace wrote:
Butif you arefeeling sluggish turn up the head phones and eat a powerbar or snickers bar before working out (snickers only if you are not on a strict diet and don't need to cut any weight).

Are there vegan snickers bars in the US?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 pm 
Stegosaurus

bronco wrote:
fatburningfurnace wrote:
Butif you arefeeling sluggish turn up the head phones and eat a powerbar or snickers bar before working out (snickers only if you are not on a strict diet and don't need to cut any weight).

I wish....

I kind of get the impression fatburningfurnace isn't vegan from other threads, but maybe I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:38 pm 
Stegosaurus

bronco wrote:
fatburningfurnace wrote:

Yep!

http://store.veganessentials.com/vegan-candy-bars-by-go-max-go-foods-p2646.aspx
The Jokerz bar is basically a vegan Snickers, about 95% spot-on! Trust me, I've eaten enough of them to know :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:56 am 
Gorilla

lobsteriffic wrote:
bronco wrote:
I wish....

It seems wishes do come true sometimes ;) :
VeganEssentials wrote:
http://store.veganessentials.com/vegan-candy-bars-by-go-max-go-foods-p2646.aspx
The Jokerz bar is basically a vegan Snickers, about 95% spot-on! Trust me, I've eaten enough of them to know :wink:

Damn, they do look tasty ! One of those days I will have to put in an order for some of those...

lobsteriffic wrote:
I kind of get the impression fatburningfurnace isn't vegan from other threads, but maybe I'm wrong.

Let's hope you are wrong in this case :D .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm 
Stegosaurus

I really want to try those Go Max Go bars! I am just too cheap to buy them. Maybe next time I place an order at veganessentials.com I'll toss one in my cart.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:43 pm 
Elephant

When I ate at my healthiest (almost thrive diet) I knocked a clean hour off my sleep because I was getting better quality sleep, so I don't buy into this "you need at least X hours amount of sleep or..". I could sleep great for 7 hours or way less and wake up feeling amazing and be more energised throughout the whole day than before.

If I just undersleep for one day it'll rarely effect workout (usually end up getting a better one), but if my sleep gets messed up for 2 or 3 days in a row then it can start to cause problems - hasn't happened in a while though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:15 am 
Rabbit

It's funny this topic came up because I'm sitting here not knowing if I should go to the gym or not. I got about an hour or sleep last night and feel a little nauseous from it (part of that being I drank for the first time in like a year for st pattys day) - and when I imagine working out right now I don't see myself getting much done...

But usually I try to work through it, today I don't think I'm going to be able to. I think you just have to use your own judgement bc only you know how you feel.