Trying to figure out a good routine.

This thread gives background on why no equipment when I workout.

I dont know where to start. The more I read the more variables seem to be introduced. When I do read articles like "beginners routine" or "basics of weightlifting" they seem to all include several major weigh exercises that can only be accomplished using equipment.

I need a routine that I can do with only 2 dumbells.

Heres what I have been doing before my roomate got the dumbells:

Wake up early, run 2 miles.

After breakfast we generally have a "warm up" session before work where I stretch and do pushups. I generally do 50 then crunches or other ab exercise then 20-30 more, then more ab stuff. I also have been doing lunges.

I really think I could increase my strength with the addition of weights.

So far I figure I should do: curl, shoulder shrug, lateral raise. other than that I am not really sure. I really would like help structuring this too.

Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction and clear up a few of the variables, I dont want to do anything that would hinder me in any way.

Thanks

-Kyle

How does this look..found a really good resource that helped alot: www.exrx.net

day 1: Squat (or single leg squat?)

Straight leg deadlift

(calf raise?)

bicycle crunch no weight.

day 2: Bent over row

Lateral raise

Tricep extension (or kickback?)

Curl

Pushups

From my reading thus far I should choose a weight with which I can about 10 reps? Should I shoot for doing multiple sets or the max weight I can do 10 reps with period. There seems to be alot of debate around this point. I am looking to make the most gains I can strength wise in the next 2 months before I go back home (where i will have access to a gym and can up my workout routine if possible).

Should I alternate or skip weights on the 3rd day? I still plan on running every morning and doing crunches/pushups, alternating days I do more of one on.

Any input would be appreciated.

Are there any stones in the dessert? If so, you have your workout kit already:

Stone deadlift - pick up stone, stand up straight.

Stone press - pick up a lighter stone, get it to shoulder height, press it over your head for reps.

Stone carry - several variations here:

- Carry it on your shoulder, walk for maximum distance.

- Carry it at waist height, max distance.

Stone squat - hold a lightish stone on your upper chest area, and squat. If you fail you can easily just push the stone forwards out the way.

Stone bent over row - legs straight but not locked out, bent over until body is nearly parrellel to the floor. Don't move torso or legs, and bring stone to abs, with elbows in.

Stone throw - take a light stone, and throw it as far as possible.

Stone bench - lie on the ground, get someone to pass you a stone. Bench it.

All of the above would get you very strong. If however you do not have any stones, you are buggered!

Jonathan

Pushups are a great exercise for someone with no equipment. If you want to make them more challenging try doing them with one arm, or doing them with your feet raised on whatever piece of furniture you can find

Also, pullups are a great exercise. If you don't have a bar you can do fingertip pullups on the edge of a staircase, edge of a flat roof; or you can look for a tree limb to hang off of, etc