Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Muscle mass lost after 7 weeks of weight training
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:45 am 
Rabbit

Quote:
I have a bad habit of skipping breakfast (and lunch sometimes) and eating all my calories at the end of the day.

This is also not very good, if you want to lose weight faster. I know that you are aware of that, but if want faster results, it's better if you concentrate your calories intake during the day, and slow down as the bedtime approaches. Everything is a matter of habbit.
If you are using protein powders, you may consider taking one dose with very little olive oil 1-2 hours before bed (it should slow down the protein absorbtion and your body will be supplied for longer, during your sleep :)

About your workouts - probably I'm not right. I don't know the whole routine and the way you split the muscle groups ( you may share if you like/have the time). You also said
Quote:
But still it is very stressful mentally, and a very hard workout in general.
, so be careful not to burn out :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:37 am 
Elephant

Yeah it's true that a lot of vegetable protein isn't as balanced as animal protein, but as long as you're taking in enough it's really not an issue.

It doesn't matter if you eat or skip breakfast, there's no metabolic fire that needs to be evenly stoked throughout the day. Most of your daily calories are spent just keeping you alive (breathing, pumping blood, etc) and that doesn't exactly stop when you skip breakfast. The only exception is if you workout in the early morning, then you should probably eat afterward.

So you lost 4 lbs and they said you've lost muscle? How are they measuring this? With only 4 lbs there's a pretty big margin on error in there, especially with externals like hydration affecting that. There's really not a way to measure muscle mass, only "lean mass" which includes muscle tissue, water, skeleton, etc.

Also 2 Tbsp pea protein == 109 calories? It's about half that unless you're using really heaping tbsps. I just measured 2 level tbsps of rice protein at 13g, and rice protein is denser than pea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:29 pm 
Elephant

chrisjs wrote:
Yeah it's true that a lot of vegetable protein isn't as balanced as animal protein, but as long as you're taking in enough it's really not an issue.

It doesn't matter if you eat or skip breakfast, there's no metabolic fire that needs to be evenly stoked throughout the day. Most of your daily calories are spent just keeping you alive (breathing, pumping blood, etc) and that doesn't exactly stop when you skip breakfast. The only exception is if you workout in the early morning, then you should probably eat afterward.

So you lost 4 lbs and they said you've lost muscle? How are they measuring this? With only 4 lbs there's a pretty big margin on error in there, especially with externals like hydration affecting that. There's really not a way to measure muscle mass, only "lean mass" which includes muscle tissue, water, skeleton, etc.

Also 2 Tbsp pea protein == 109 calories? It's about half that unless you're using really heaping tbsps. I just measured 2 level tbsps of rice protein at 13g, and rice protein is denser than pea.

I agree with everything here except that I found eating breakfast to be helpful when losing weight, so to each their own I guess...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:45 pm 
Elephant

Fallen_Horse wrote:
I agree with everything here except that I found eating breakfast to be helpful when losing weight, so to each their own I guess...
All else equal? Eating breakfast isn't a particularly bad idea for most people because eating regularly throughout the day tends to prevent binging, which is often the real problem.

Personally I find it better to fast throughout the night until lunchtime. I'm more satisfied eating fewer, larger meals. There's a pretty big intermittent fasting movement going on now that I've been following off and on, I think it helps but it's not as amazing as the proponents make it out to be (kinda like everything else).

There's a lot of advertisements for things like breakfast cereal that claim "people who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight" which may be true statistically but it by no mean shows any causality.

But in terms of finding an all-encompassing rule, I don't think it matters either way. Some people find it better to eat breakfast, others to skip it, but I doubt that one detail is the missing link in any weight loss plan.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:01 pm 
Rabbit

Sorry about the offtopic.

@chrisjs - are you meaning the "Warrior's diet"? "
"Our ancestors consumed food much less frequently and often had to subsist on one large meal per day, and thus from an evolutionary perspective, human beings were adapted to intermittent feeding rather than to grazing."
(Mattson, M.P., PhD, Lancet 2005; 365:1978-80)"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:17 pm 
Elephant

Either leangains or warrior diet. I don't really believe the evolutionary argument as being strong enough to say we should eat that way, but I think it's a plausible explaination for why it's not detremental.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm 
Stegosaurus

I've been following leangains for awhile now and I LOVE it. I used to be one of those people that swore by eating breakfast, but honestly I find it much easier to stick to my calories by eating two large meals a day. It allows me to feel full and satisfied, and now that I'm used to it I'm rarely hungry in the AM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:27 am 
Rabbit

WOW ! And you don't lose any bodyweight?
If so - this seems to be a good and time saving diet :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:08 pm 
Stegosaurus

Well I'm trying to lose bodyfat, so I am losing bodyweight. I don't know about Chris.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:00 pm 
Finch

chrisjs wrote:

They tape some kind of electrodes on to your feet and this machine uses electrical pulses or some such thing to spit out a little print out that shows your water content, fat, and muscle mass. It's probably an approximation.

You're right about the protein powder. I just double checked my scooper and it's more like 4 tablespoons that I'm using. I use this pea protein:
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Deta ... 2&pid=6816

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:02 pm 
Finch

Deiman wrote:
Quote:
I have a bad habit of skipping breakfast (and lunch sometimes) and eating all my calories at the end of the day.

This is also not very good, if you want to lose weight faster. I know that you are aware of that, but if want faster results, it's better if you concentrate your calories intake during the day, and slow down as the bedtime approaches. Everything is a matter of habbit.
If you are using protein powders, you may consider taking one dose with very little olive oil 1-2 hours before bed (it should slow down the protein absorbtion and your body will be supplied for longer, during your sleep :)

About your workouts - probably I'm not right. I don't know the whole routine and the way you split the muscle groups ( you may share if you like/have the time). You also said
Quote:
But still it is very stressful mentally, and a very hard workout in general.
, so be careful not to burn out :)

I just posted a video. Don't laugh!!!

http://www.paunchiest.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm 
Rabbit

WOOW - this is a nice video :)

Well, it seems you like these kind of workouts, but they still seem very stressfull for the nervous system to me, and not enough to induce muscle growth.

It depends on how you feel after that and what is the effect on your body too. I see you have the will - way to go.

PS: nice triceps :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:25 pm 
Elephant

Hey :)

The video is well made, however the training seems to be void of any strength, balance and most importantly power attributes. Low weight + volume, very little free weight and no speed/explosiveness whatsoever.

It seems to be based completely on muscular endurance.

The potential to gaining muscle isn't maximised on how close they get to failure, or how sore they are during workout or the next day.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/why-you-need-more-power/

Most importantly though, the workouts don't seem enjoyable or overly rewarding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:18 pm 
Elephant

Those electrical methods are inaccurate, very sensitive to hydration.

The 70cc scoop from TP yields about 30g total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 pm 
Rabbit

I echo the sentiment that you are doing too much cardio. That is more than likely the reason for muscle loss. Cardio is catabolic, strength training is anabolic. And it appears you are doing twice as much cardio as you are resistance. Make it the other way around.