Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 2050mg
Total Carbohydrate 25g 13%
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar 6g
Protein 81g

Your macronutrient ratios are really weird. When your carbohydrates are so low you have to replace them with fat or protein. Your protein intake is 81 grams, which in my opinion is inadequate to account for such low fat intake. I think if you raised fat intake to around 60 grams and your protein to around 100 grams, it might begin to justify such a low carb dietary plan. Otherwise where is energy coming from?

Post subject: Re: Muscle mass lost after 7 weeks of weight training
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm 
Elephant

TheFutureOfHealth wrote:
I want to address this also.

My Meals Today
Total Calories 729

Go back a day or two, the link goes to her most recent entries and she hasn't entered in everything from today yet, which is why those numbers are so low.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 am 
Finch

I may be pretty low on calories some days, but I don't think I have any 700 calorie days! That must have been before I entered food for the evening.

For those worried about the xgym workout - I just started a new set of exercises: super slow pushups (so difficult!!) lunges, arm raises with free weights, and cable pull-downs, plus the same ab workouts as before. I guess I get to do this for another 7 weeks, and then I'm on to some whole new form of torture.

I'm signed up for 6 months. After that, I"ll probably go back to a traditional gym to work out on my own. We'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 am 
Rabbit

rebeccab wrote:
Thanks for all your responses. It's really helpful to get other perspectives.

My personal goal is to loose body fat. I wouldn't mind toning up and gaining muscle as a bonus, but really, I just want to slim down overall.

it sounds like you are trying to do 2 things at once - very difficult imo - i think to both gain significant muscle and lose significant fat your diet and workouts have to be totally dialed in and consistent

your workouts and diet seem to be geared towards losing fat - not gaining muscle - although a few people might make gains on a perfected diet while losing fat, the more common method you'll find is that people slightly overeat in order to gain muscle and ensure they have adequate calories, fat, and protein to build muscle - very hard to lose fat if you are slightly overeating

also exercises for muscle gain are the big classic HEAVY lifts - everything with freeweights - deadlifts, squats, presses etc. HEAVY weights so that reps go no higher than a dozen, but even better is to stay below 8, the reps stay low not because you quit at 8, but because the weight is so heavy you can't do any more - it is my belief that the last one or two reps before failure stimulate most of the muscle growth - these lifts combined with slight overeating is the classic, standard way bbers pack on muscle - and many/most bbers don't do any cardio at all when they are bulking up.

Quote:
"Basically it's hard ass weight training to full muscle fatigue. It hurts like a mofo. screaming is not unusual. I do leg presses, leg curls, compound row, chest presses, and some kind of ab workout with no rest to speak of for 20 minutes twice a week."

I don't understand how you can fully work a muscle when there's no rest - not to say this isn't a valid training method - just that i don't understand it. If i don't pause for 60 or 90 seconds between sets or exercise, whatever i do next will be diminished. For instance, if i'm bench pressing to failure i'm exhausted after my last rep, and if i jump right into curls i'll do less reps than if i had waited 90 seconds. Sometimes on my last set i'll go to failure, and with no rest drop 10lbs, go to failure again, and repeat that 3 or 4 times, and i get an insane pump from it, but that's not switching exercises, it's just overpumping one muscle group. then i fully rest before i hit the next group.

I also question the testing methods
Quote:
"I have lost some fat too. I'm about 4 lbs lighter overall from where I started."

as chrisjs has already said - if you've only lost 4lbs I don't understand how anything can be tested with any sort of accuracy. how much of that 4lbs is fat loss? how much is LBM? how much is water? not to be crude, but 4lbs is not much more than a few glasses of water and a bowel movement - hydration levels alone can account for 4lbs of water in 24 hours.

my advice would be to not worry too much about losing LBM, and to focus on fat loss - while consistent and accurate testing methods are possible, an increase in strength over time has always been my best measure, but that also assumes consistent training and performing exercises in a normal way with adequate rest between sets - sure sometimes strength will go up and down a tiny bit, but over time it should always increase or at least maintain - if you're getting weaker, then it's time to make adjustments