How often do you do cardio?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
PdevC
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:46 pm

How often do you do cardio?

#1 Postby PdevC » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:14 pm

I have a few questions regarding cardio. Is it true that it catabolizes muscle? Some say yes, some say no, some say only if done in excess, like what endurance athletes do. I've even heard some say it wont happen unless excess fat stores are used up first. I'm inclined to believe the third opinion - only if done in excess.

Is there a recommended amount for optimal health? The only opinion I've heard on this is that of couch-to-5k, who claim 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise 3 times a week is optimal for cardiovascular health. Then again, I suppose with more volume I do, the better cardiovascular I'll need, which will probably exceed the amount necessary to live a high quality sedentary life, right?

I'm interested in doing HIIT, as most sources say it is superior to constant, moderate intensity workouts(and it sounda a helluva lot more interesting), but I'm concerned about overtraining my legs, as I am doing squats 3 times a week and deadlifts 1-2 times a week at low rep, high intensity(Starting Strength). If I shoud do HIIT, should I increase my low intensity phase along with my sprint phase, or should I keep my low intensity phase at the lowest setting, so I can go all out during the sprint phase? If I slow down during the last 5-10 seconds of a sprint phase, should I lower the setting I use for it?

I could really use some insight, atm I'm doing zero cardio due to fear of overtraining or muscle loss, and lack of knowledge regarding execution. I may just throw in 3 moderate intensity cardio sessions a week, and a couple HIIT sessions inbetween lift days.

PdevC
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#2 Postby PdevC » Mon May 09, 2011 11:38 pm

Bump, rewrote the original post and thread title to make my questions and concerns more specific.

User avatar
mtguy1976
Rabbit
Posts: 80
Age: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 pm
Location: Germantown, Maryland

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#3 Postby mtguy1976 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:02 pm

I'll give my 2 cents worth of ideas from experience, none of which are science based.
PdevC wrote:I have a few questions regarding cardio. Is it true that it catabolizes muscle? Some say yes, some say no, some say only if done in excess, like what endurance athletes do. I've even heard some say it wont happen unless excess fat stores are used up first. I'm inclined to believe the third opinion - only if done in excess.

From my experience, number 3- excesse cardio, but in addition to that, a lack of calories. Once you burn through the carbs and fat only protein is left to burn. So eat up!

PdevC wrote:Is there a recommended amount for optimal health? The only opinion I've heard on this is that of couch-to-5k, who claim 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise 3 times a week is optimal for cardiovascular health. Then again, I suppose with more volume I do, the better cardiovascular I'll need, which will probably exceed the amount necessary to live a high quality sedentary life, right?

I really can't recomend what would be a good amount. Almost every where you look, some say 20-30 mins a day others say 2 hours a week.

PdevC wrote:I'm interested in doing HIIT, as most sources say it is superior to constant, moderate intensity workouts(and it sounda a helluva lot more interesting), but I'm concerned about overtraining my legs, as I am doing squats 3 times a week and deadlifts 1-2 times a week at low rep, high intensity(Starting Strength). If I shoud do HIIT, should I increase my low intensity phase along with my sprint phase, or should I keep my low intensity phase at the lowest setting, so I can go all out during the sprint phase? If I slow down during the last 5-10 seconds of a sprint phase, should I lower the setting I use for it?

HIIT is great, but rememebr there are other ways of getting cardio instread of running- i.e. swimming, rowing (a concept 2 is great), sled dragging (although not as fast as the others because your dragging a 70+ pound sled, gets your heart rate up in a hurry). You can also throw in "Finishers" at the end of a strength workout. Here are some good ones http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... o_burn_fat
Good luck, glad to see that you are cautious about over doing. Better to be on the safe side, and slowly build up by doing short stints at first, maybe less then 10 mins and go from there.

PdevC
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#4 Postby PdevC » Tue May 10, 2011 7:07 pm

mtguy1976 wrote:I'll give my 2 cents worth of ideas from experience, none of which are science based.
PdevC wrote:I have a few questions regarding cardio. Is it true that it catabolizes muscle? Some say yes, some say no, some say only if done in excess, like what endurance athletes do. I've even heard some say it wont happen unless excess fat stores are used up first. I'm inclined to believe the third opinion - only if done in excess.

From my experience, number 3- excesse cardio, but in addition to that, a lack of calories. Once you burn through the carbs and fat only protein is left to burn. So eat up!

PdevC wrote:Is there a recommended amount for optimal health? The only opinion I've heard on this is that of couch-to-5k, who claim 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise 3 times a week is optimal for cardiovascular health. Then again, I suppose with more volume I do, the better cardiovascular I'll need, which will probably exceed the amount necessary to live a high quality sedentary life, right?

I really can't recomend what would be a good amount. Almost every where you look, some say 20-30 mins a day others say 2 hours a week.

PdevC wrote:I'm interested in doing HIIT, as most sources say it is superior to constant, moderate intensity workouts(and it sounda a helluva lot more interesting), but I'm concerned about overtraining my legs, as I am doing squats 3 times a week and deadlifts 1-2 times a week at low rep, high intensity(Starting Strength). If I shoud do HIIT, should I increase my low intensity phase along with my sprint phase, or should I keep my low intensity phase at the lowest setting, so I can go all out during the sprint phase? If I slow down during the last 5-10 seconds of a sprint phase, should I lower the setting I use for it?

HIIT is great, but rememebr there are other ways of getting cardio instread of running- i.e. swimming, rowing (a concept 2 is great), sled dragging (although not as fast as the others because your dragging a 70+ pound sled, gets your heart rate up in a hurry). You can also throw in "Finishers" at the end of a strength workout. Here are some good ones http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... o_burn_fat
Good luck, glad to see that you are cautious about over doing. Better to be on the safe side, and slowly build up by doing short stints at first, maybe less then 10 mins and go from there.
Well, burning through the fat really isn't a concern for me, I'm 5' 6" 228.4 lbs. I'm also on a cut, because of this.

I rode my bike to and from the gym today to save gas, made me too weak to do squats, but I prolly overdid it on the bike, plus I hadn't eaten for like 4-5 hours, so that doesn't help. For now, that's plenty of cardio imo, ride home was hell, especially the hills. 2 miles from my apartment to the gym.

Actually don't run because my flat feet cause me really bad shin splints, usually do the stationary bike. Would swim, but dont have access to an indoor pool. Rowing's an idea.

Ima go pass out.

Tarz
Elephant
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#5 Postby Tarz » Tue May 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Four times a week.
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

boardn10
Manatee
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:37 am

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#6 Postby boardn10 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm

At the moment....never. I am mass building.
What do I do when not bodybuilding or working? Spend time with family, play guitar, write music, snowboard, roast coffee, travel, read, fight for those who are less fortunate than myself.

User avatar
Devilbat
Rabbit
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 am
Location: Zephyrhills,Florida
Contact:

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#7 Postby Devilbat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 am

Check this article by Mike Mahler out, it has made a difference big time in my strongman style training and can be done by individuals bulking up! http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... cd01.hydra
Thumbs go on your hands, not in your ass!

User avatar
VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3065
Age: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Waukesha, WI
Contact:

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#8 Postby VeganEssentials » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Agreed, cardio does not necessarily mean the usual "hit the treadmill or the bike" stuff. I've definitely noticed that I'm ramping up fat loss well this month just from doing everything BUT traditional cardio. Pushing the Prowler sled around, dragging weighted sleds, flipping tires and such have all started to spark a change I can see in just a few weeks. It doesn't need to all be done at heavy weights, but sometimes alternative methods for cardio can be a good kick-start to being in a stagnant point, and some of these methods can do wonders in a fraction of the time spent walking in straight line on the old treadmill!
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

User avatar
Devilbat
Rabbit
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 am
Location: Zephyrhills,Florida
Contact:

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#9 Postby Devilbat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 am

VeganEssentials wrote:Agreed, cardio does not necessarily mean the usual "hit the treadmill or the bike" stuff. I've definitely noticed that I'm ramping up fat loss well this month just from doing everything BUT traditional cardio. Pushing the Prowler sled around, dragging weighted sleds, flipping tires and such have all started to spark a change I can see in just a few weeks. It doesn't need to all be done at heavy weights, but sometimes alternative methods for cardio can be a good kick-start to being in a stagnant point, and some of these methods can do wonders in a fraction of the time spent walking in straight line on the old treadmill!

I wish I could do the big tie flip but theres no way for me to bring home a big ass tire like that! Ive' been carrying around these big ass blocks around the yard and fuck what anybody else saids, running with a crapload of weight on you is one hell of a cardio booster. How do you feel bout power exercises for fatloss and conditioning?
Thumbs go on your hands, not in your ass!

User avatar
VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3065
Age: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Waukesha, WI
Contact:

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#10 Postby VeganEssentials » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Devilbat wrote:I wish I could do the big tie flip but theres no way for me to bring home a big ass tire like that! Ive' been carrying around these big ass blocks around the yard and fuck what anybody else saids, running with a crapload of weight on you is one hell of a cardio booster. How do you feel bout power exercises for fatloss and conditioning?


Yeah, with tires, you definitely need lots of space for storage as well as flipping them, so that's usually the biggest downside even though you can get them for free. I'm just lucky to have the training facility nearby to play with them any time I make the 5 minute drive on over.

Carrying/running with stuff is great for conditioning - I used to take a barbell w/ a pair of 45 lb. plates down to the track, power clean it, drop it behind the neck on my traps and walk a mile with it - it was a nice butt-kicker, to say the least. That, or I'd throw a 50 lb. sandbag in a backpack and take a 45-60 minute hike with it, that one used to leave me drenched in sweat from head to toe and definitely upped my conditioning in a hurry.

For power exercises, I tend to get better fat loss and conditioning benefits from doing them in two ways - first, lower weight and high reps to where I'm more burned out by sucking wind than from muscular fatigue (such as, doing high-rep rack pulls for 20 rep sets), or, by doing heavier singles with minimal rest (such as doing rack pulls with 90% of my max for singles, rest 30 seconds, keep going for a high number of single reps). I don't get much improvement for conditioning and fat loss from low to moderate rep sets unless the rest periods are really short, and then my form breaks down quickly and I'm done for. That's why I'll keep the weight lower for high reps, or, do plenty of singles with little rest and they both have fared well enough!
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#11 Postby BlueRose » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Often, but I'm looking to a) lose weight and b) lose fat. However I don't JUST do cardio and I eat enough to both continue losing weight while having enough fuel for the workout.

Your body starts to cannibalize muscle when you're lacking in body fat to burn and you're not taking in enough calories. Period.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

Chili
Finch
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:05 am

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#12 Postby Chili » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 am

BlueRose wrote:Often, but I'm looking to a) lose weight and b) lose fat. However I don't JUST do cardio and I eat enough to both continue losing weight while having enough fuel for the workout.

Your body starts to cannibalize muscle when you're lacking in body fat to burn and you're not taking in enough calories. Period.


This is really what most experts say. I wonder if there are any new finding about it though.

Shaun Pollock
Finch
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:43 am

Re: How often do you do cardio?

#13 Postby Shaun Pollock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 pm

I do cardio in morning and some time i do cardio in evening also. I spent my one hour in doing cardio. It is best for fitness and health.


Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests