When do you do dips?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

boardn10
Manatee

When do you do dips?

#1 Postby boardn10 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Since dips hit the chest, shoulder and triceps, I used to do all those body parts in one day. Since there is a lot of overlap, and I started doing chest on one day and shoulders and triceps on another day, I cut the dips out! I figure too much oberlap and possible over training. What do you all think?

-Rich
What do I do when not bodybuilding or working? Spend time with family, play guitar, write music, snowboard, roast coffee, travel, read, fight for those who are less fortunate than myself.

Adena
Gorilla

Re: When do you do dips?

#2 Postby Adena » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Everyone's different, but most people recover well enough from the upper body exercises you mentioned to train them twice a week, if they want to. I'm not an expert, though.

I recently started doing my light assistance work on a different day than the main lift. For example, I do heavy overhead press on one day, then light assistance work for overhead press on a different day. That way I'm hitting more or less the same muscles twice a week, once heavy, once light. You could consider dips an assistance exercise for either overhead press or bench.

I remember you were having some health issues recently, which is a bummer. How ya feeling lately?

boardn10
Manatee

#3 Postby boardn10 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Still having a lot of shoulder pain in my left shoulder and elbow and wrist issues.....

I realized tonight that I can no longer do overhead presses. I get far too much pain in my left shoulder! I will have to rely on chest press, dips and side raises, front and rear raises for shoulder...no more overhead press. :(

I did dips tonight but my chest was still sore from Monday's workout.
What do I do when not bodybuilding or working? Spend time with family, play guitar, write music, snowboard, roast coffee, travel, read, fight for those who are less fortunate than myself.

Adena
Gorilla

#4 Postby Adena » Thu May 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Sorry to hear that!

James
Rabbit

#5 Postby James » Thu May 05, 2011 3:55 pm

I do a LOT of dips - weighted dips are the cornerstone of my push routine.

I do full-body workouts 3 x week so for me there's no issue with overlapping. However I think avoiding superior compound movements like thiss due to worries about overlapping is going to be counterproductive in the long run. There's a reason weighted dips are often referred to as the 'upper body squat' - because they're f*cking awesome.

James
Rabbit

#6 Postby James » Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 pm

boardn10 wrote:I realized tonight that I can no longer do overhead presses.

I struggle with overhead work too, in my case due to a persistent issue with a bulging spinal disc.

Apart from dips which hit the delts hard, I also do elevated push ups on gymnastic rings i.e. elevated means the rings are near ground level & my feet are on a higher bench/platform, so that the angle of my body recruits the delts more than if my body was flat.

I also do an exercise call 'cross pulls' that hits EVERY muscle in the body above the abs including delts:

Make sure you're very well warmed up before attempting this exercise otherwise you're likely to tear a bicep tendon!

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”