Pull-ups

Let's have an online pull-up contest. I used to have pull-up contests with roomates that I had in the past. We would count them up each day and add them to see who had done the most by the end of the night.

It was an awesome strength builder that summer back in 99. I think the most I did at one time was 40, and probably somewhere around 200 for the day.

How many consecutive pull-ups can you do? Over that years I went from 8 to 12 to 29 to 36 and now peak at 40 in a row on my best days.

Rob - 40 is amazing!!

I usually do 15-20.

I think the most I ever done was 30 odd back in 2000.

The number I can do depends on type of grip, width difference of hands, type of bar ( thick, thin, easy to grip etc ), height of bar, whether the bar is attached to a wall or hanging off a beam etc.

Wide grip chins are harder, so I can do less of them.

It also depends on form of course. Some people don't raise their chin right over the bar, and some people don't really lower themselves fully either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

40's great. I've only done like 25 many years ago. Could do maybe 20 right now. I did do a chin-up with 120 pounds strapped to my waist a few weeks ago. I did 140 for half reps a few days ago, curious to see if that will carryover to the full ROM at all.

I've never tried a one-arm pull-up. This past week I was doing a back workout and I did 6 sets of pull-ups for:

21 reps

22 reps

23 reps

24 reps

12 reps

15 reps

I guess fatigue started to set in toward the end.

I'll try the one-arm pull-up on Tuesday, my back workout day. Maybe I'll be able to break 2 minutes in the hang too.

-Robert

Here's a video of a guy doing a one arm chin: http://www.hrfit.net/OneArmChinBB.wmv

The guy was a vegan from 13 to 18 by the way. I asked him why he gave it up and he didn't bother to answer.

http://www.hrfit.net/bb/ChrisLind.asp

Anyway I think one arm chins are about as impressive as you can get. Would love to see Topher take a video and put it online of him doing one. Also it sounds like Robert can probably do one with some practice.