Thin but not lean... Bulk or cut?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

TomLane
Finch

Thin but not lean... Bulk or cut?

#1 Postby TomLane » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi everyone, new member here. I've just gone vegan (from 4 years veggie) and am looking to get in shape :)

I'm tall and very thin (ecto) but I've got accumulated flab around my stomach/pec area. With my shirt on, people tell me to eat more; with it off, they say I should try and get leaner. So the question is- bulk or cut?

Height 6,3
Weight 150
Age 20

My gut says get lean and build up (I hate this stomach!), but I don't want to do anything stupid.

chewybaws
Elephant

Re: Thin but not lean... Bulk or cut?

#2 Postby chewybaws » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 am

Welcome to the boards.

There's no point of cutting if you've got no muscle. If the flab around your stomach isn't enough to see with a shirt on then there's no point of being insecure about it.

My advice is to eat enough consistently to gain weight weekly and start a beginner's strength program if you have access to a gym or equipment. And do it for at least 6-12 months before cutting.

Vegercize
Rabbit

#3 Postby Vegercize » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Plus the extra fat will be easier to lose once you have some muscle - your metabolism will be higher! Bulk first :bodybuilding:
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% of how we react to it. Our Attitude towards life determines life's attitude towards us.

TomLane
Finch

#4 Postby TomLane » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36 am

Alright, it's on.

ICanDoThis
Manatee

#5 Postby ICanDoThis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Good news is muscle burns fat!
Kick Ass & Conquer!

jungleinthefrunk
Gorilla

#6 Postby jungleinthefrunk » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I would try to gain.....for sure!!
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

boardn10
Manatee

#7 Postby boardn10 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:01 pm

I am 6'3" and 212 and I am still trying to gain...not worried about getting cut yet. I do have a small amount of flab around the mids but you would never see it with a shirt....in fact.....most people don't notice it when i have a shirt off. At 150 lbs, I would put everything into gaining right now, assuming you have no limitations.
What do I do when not bodybuilding or working? Spend time with family, play guitar, write music, snowboard, roast coffee, travel, read, fight for those who are less fortunate than myself.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”