Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Whoaaahh I am back in action!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:34 am 
Rabbit

So I finally had a vacation which was great. But I got a blow to my ribs when doing some water sports. Went to the doctor he said it might be a fracture. Which takes like couple weeks to heal. Can't lift right now and can't do running :(
I never had an injury in this area before. It's pretty much limits my options for working out. Anybody had ribs fracture before ? how long did it take to go back to working out ?

Last edited by AlexNLP on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Anybody had ribs injury?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:49 pm 
Rabbit

I've had several injuries to my ribs. Mostly from just going crazy at hardcore punk shows. I'm not as young as I use to be.

All there is to do is just rest and take it easy, most anything will make them uncomfortable and of they get worse you don't want them to puncture a lung or something.

It sucks bit you're probably looking at at least a month off from most physical activities to ensure a proper recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:50 pm 
Rabbit

Man do I suck at typing on and iPhone I'll correct my grammar when I get home.

Post subject: Re: Anybody had ribs injury?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:04 am 
Rabbit

That's what the doc said. Sucks big time, month without working out and without running :(
Probly gonna delete all the muscle gain I've made in the last couple months.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:29 am 
Rabbit

Just eat well enough to maintain. I never go too low in a month I just drop an amount that'll be easy to regain. You may feel comfortable enough with some muscle groups to lift light light weight. I would suggest that with high reps. All you have to do to avoid atrophy is use the muscle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:17 am 
Rabbit

thx for the info !
It seems right now I am not gonna lift at all. Had to go to the store today and I barely could lift few bags of my food. Will see what happens in the next couple days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:31 am 
Rabbit

Well hang in there man. I know what you're going through. Get better!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:07 pm 
Rabbit

man, didn't do anything for a whole week already. Feeling like a lazy bum.
But I'll be back 10 times more motivated !!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:08 pm 
Elephant

I did a somersault over the handlebars of my mountain bike at 25 mph and bruised the hell out of my ribs on the asphalt in April. (The concussion and separated shoulder weren't fun, either.) I concur on the healing for a month advice.

You have absolutely no need to worry: muscles have memory, big time. When I finally got back to the dumbbell rack, it only took me a few weeks to get back the levels I had before and even a little more. Key is to wait until nothing hurts anymore. Stretch lightly, go about your day, do other exercises to keep your blood moving and your endorphin rush coming (walking, hiking, low impact sex, grip exercises...whoops, didn't mean to be redundant, there. :lol: ) Eat bone building calcium sources.

Don't call it "time off" or "healing" or "recovery." Tell people you're cross-training or experimenting with a new schedule. Tell yourself that, too. The body takes its orders from the brain and you'll heal a lot faster if you're not thinking about yourself as wounded the whole time. Nothing's changed, you're still in building mode, it's just bone you're building at the moment.

When you do get back in the weight room, visualize your comeback as being like pushing a car. At first, it's a bitch and it's slow going and you have to take small steps. But then, you get rolling and it's suddenly easier and easier to move that thing. In no time at all, you're sprinting behind it. Momentum builds on itself even if it starts from a standstill. You'll be kicking ass and taking numbers before Thanksgiving.

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:10 pm 
Rabbit

Baby Hercules wrote:
I did a somersault over the handlebars of my mountain bike at 25 mph and bruised the hell out of my ribs on the asphalt in April. (The concussion and separated shoulder weren't fun, either.) I concur on the healing for a month advice.

You have absolutely no need to worry: muscles have memory, big time. When I finally got back to the dumbbell rack, it only took me a few weeks to get back the levels I had before and even a little more. Key is to wait until nothing hurts anymore. Stretch lightly, go about your day, do other exercises to keep your blood moving and your endorphin rush coming (walking, hiking, low impact sex, grip exercises...whoops, didn't mean to be redundant, there. :lol: ) Eat bone building calcium sources.

Don't call it "time off" or "healing" or "recovery." Tell people you're cross-training or experimenting with a new schedule. Tell yourself that, too. The body takes its orders from the brain and you'll heal a lot faster if you're not thinking about yourself as wounded the whole time. Nothing's changed, you're still in building mode, it's just bone you're building at the moment.

When you do get back in the weight room, visualize your comeback as being like pushing a car. At first, it's a bitch and it's slow going and you have to take small steps. But then, you get rolling and it's suddenly easier and easier to move that thing. In no time at all, you're sprinting behind it. Momentum builds on itself even if it starts from a standstill. You'll be kicking ass and taking numbers before Thanksgiving.

Baby Herc

thx mate
I like the car metaphor that's a good one actually.
Also just got my new racing shoes, can't wait to give em a try 8)

Post subject: Re: Whoaaahh I am back in action!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 pm 
Rabbit

After 5 weeks of no workouts waiting for my rib to rebuild I am back!
Did an easy run yesterday. And 40 minutes weight workout today pain free. Seems I lost some strength and endurance. But I don't care it feels so great to be able to train again !