Are there any Massive Vegans?

Many people on here look pretty ripped but is there anybody HUGE on a vegan diet? I know there are MMA fighters going Vegan (mainly in the lighter devisions) and many great Athletes, but I'm yet to see evidence of the Hulks. Do Vegans way up against thier natursal meat eating comparisons. And although it is fairly contradictory does anybody know anyone who has taken steroids on a vegans diet just to stand next to the monsters and prove that the diet isn't the limiting factor? Please post pics!!

Ah, my glory days as a large man! Hopefully one day I'll work my way back up to the 250+ club again, just without all the excess fat that came along for the ride last time!

I've seen pics of quite a few big-ass vegans over the years, but they don't seem to pop up too often, it seems that most of the more visible vegan athletes prefer to go the "get a bit of size but stay lean" route. Which is totally fine if that's your thing - I just happen to suck at dieting and getting really lean, so I don't spend much time focusing on it If only I weren't perpetually injured or suffering from stretches at work where I miss training for days on end (or, during the November through March season, sometimes a week or so with no training), I think I'd be a lot larger again. But, most of my time now is spent trying to stay healthy and not break myself in half trying to get bigger and stronger at all costs, it's the only way I can still keep lifting for years to come.

Check out Rob Bigwood if you get the chance - he's a vegan professional armwrestler, definitely a really massive guy and strong as hell. There's a good handful of guys in Europe that have been vegan powerlifters and/or strongman competitors over the years that had some big physiques as well, but over time a lot of them got injured or moved on to other things and aren't around to be the same massive faces of the movement that they used to be. Still, there are a handful out there, you just have to seek them out!

It's a fairly open secret that most, if not all, 'massive' bodybuilders & strength athletes (especially those who aren't carrying huge amounts of fat) are on steroids. Not really worth comparing a natural lifter, vegan or otheerwise, to such folk.

• 3 months later...

Glad to see Patrik is trying a vegan diet, but his site only mentions "through the end of the year", so I guess we'll have to wait a few more days to find out if he's going to stick to it or not

At the very least, he's a complete beast who has built amazing strength and size on a vegetarian diet, so we've at least got him halfway to where we'd like to see him. Fingers crossed he keeps with it!

Yo!

There are tons of muscular vegans all over the world, whether they are online or famous or not. I know, because I've spent the last 7 years on tour. Even in my book talks, I've signed books for 260-pound, build like hell, guys. I've also met some buff and ripped women.

They really are out there, even if we don't see them online much. I know you see me a lot, Derek, Ed, Jimi, and others who tend to spend a lot of time online or have their own websites or programs, etc. but there are plenty of others.

Here's a pic of Vegan Essentials, who posted above. I've hung out with him in person for years, including about 2 months ago, and he's a massive dude, even though he's slimmed down, as he said.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/profile_ryan_5.jpg

Here's another vegan guy who I've communicated with online:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/profile_avi_3.jpg

And there are truckloads of others all over the place.

There are a bunch of big guys here: http://www.veganstrength.org/

Outside of North America, there are a ton of huge European vegan guys, a bunch of Big Aussies and plenty of others elsewhere too.

I'll start a new thread for fun, which I can update regularly, posting pics of Buff Vegans for anyone to refer people to anytime

All the best!

-Robert

Glad to see Patrik is trying a vegan diet, but his site only mentions "through the end of the year", so I guess we'll have to wait a few more days to find out if he's going to stick to it or not

At the very least, he's a complete beast who has built amazing strength and size on a vegetarian diet, so we've at least got him halfway to where we'd like to see him. Fingers crossed he keeps with it!

He actually said somewhere that he was vegan now in mid-december or so.

Btw. he is planning on setting a new world record in the loglift with 215 kg (and thus surpass Zydrunas Savickas) on a vegan diet.

Edit: Depending on what you consider huge, we´ve got some pretty big naturals in our team, too

http://veganstrength.de/5.html

We even have someone who deadlifts 300 kg (~660 lbs), which is the second biggest vegan deadlift that I know and the biggest natural deadlift that I do not doubt to be natural at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had dozens of arguments with people who say there are no really strong or hulking vegans. I point them to this site or mention someone. Ah, but these people weren't born vegan, they say. One person even demands that someone has to be a third generation vegan to qualify otherwise their muscles can only be attributed to the meat their ancestors ate.

Some will concede that a vegan who has been vegan for a few years can thank their vegan diet for their bulk or their strength - but then add that they must also be on steroids because no one, absolutely no one, can build huge muscles or great strength without steroids.

They also say that there's never been an olympic lifter, power lifter or world strongman vegan champion. I mention Pat Reeves and Jane Black. No, it has to be men. So I say, again and again, that there are very few vegans and, consequently, there's much less chance of a vegan rather than a meat eater becoming a champion in a strength sport.

I'm not the biggest, nor the strongest, but all of the weight and strength I've gained was gained as a vegan.

I started lifting around the same time I went vegan. I went from 70-ish kg to 110 kg in four years. My body fat has remained about the same, if not reduced, although I can only judge by how I look & feel.

I'm not the biggest, nor the strongest, but all of the weight and strength I've gained was gained as a vegan.

I started lifting around the same time I went vegan. I went from 70-ish kg to 110 kg in four years. My body fat has remained about the same, if not reduced, although I can only judge by how I look & feel.

Yes, Sosso, you certainly are a shining example of what can be accomplished with smart, heavy lifting and plenty of food! The progress you made over the last few years has been awesome, it's tough to envision you actually being the same guy in those original photos you posted where you were so much smaller. Definitely been one of my favorite people to follow for progress over the last few years!