Push-ups vs Bench press

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Jun
Rabbit

Push-ups vs Bench press

#1 Postby Jun » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:51 am

Hi

I am not sure if I can put up this kind of post on this board 'cause it is my personal question.

I've been working out for the last few years but I feel like I am still a total beginner as I don't think I am doing it right.

The thing is, push-ups work for me whereas bench press doesn't seem to.
I was living abroad for one year and during that time I couldn't afford to go to a gym, so I simply did push-ups (40~50x5) once every other day. Now that I am back home, people and my family say I look definitely bigger and muscly than before. Before going abroad, I had been working out harder in the gym and for some reason hardly seen any progress. Now I go to the gym and try bench press again, but I can't still feel that pumped-up feeling on chest muscles to the same degree as when I do push-ups, even though I think I lift up heavy enough, in quite a correct position.

What do you think is the problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

boardn10
Manatee

Re: Push-ups vs Bench press

#2 Postby boardn10 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:06 pm

It is hard to give advice without seeing what you are doing in the gym. From experience I have never been able to build a lot of muscle from push ups alone. You would need more resistance as in someone on your back to add weight. My best gains have all come from a good free weight bench press routine, in fact, my recent best progress came after a year of solid dumbell bench pressing once a week....I did shoulders on a nother day.....but only weighted dips and side, rear raises with some other odds and ends. Heavy bench and dips will build a lot of size in my experience but high rep sets of pushups, not so much in my experience. If you don't have a history of lifting weights, pushups will show results...once you progress to intermediate and advanced, you will need more in the way of resistance.
What do I do when not bodybuilding or working? Spend time with family, play guitar, write music, snowboard, roast coffee, travel, read, fight for those who are less fortunate than myself.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#3 Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:25 pm

boardn10 wrote:It is hard to give advice without seeing what you are doing in the gym.

^This
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

Kira
Rabbit

#4 Postby Kira » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 am

boardn10 wrote:If you don't have a history of lifting weights, pushups will show results...once you progress to intermediate and advanced, you will need more in the way of resistance.

Yep, the thing about push-ups is that you're always applying the same weight on your muscles.. its a good way starting out, but once you hit a certain point, you wanna do higher intensity bench pressing at the gym if you're gonna get any bigger.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”