Tough Mudder

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Scobra
Rabbit

Tough Mudder

#1 Postby Scobra » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Hey everyone I'm 18 and have been vegan for 16 months. This May I plan on doing the MN Tough Mudder, its a 12 mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces. They say the average time is 3 hours to complete, so its a fairly difficult race. My question is what kind of training should I be doing beside running 5+ miles 4-5 times a week? I'm a strong runner so that's not my biggest concern. I'm in good shape and am "physically fit", but I know just training muscle groups with my routine won't cut it for this race. Any suggestions?

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

Re: Tough Mudder

#2 Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 am

It's not 'technical' oriented, but this video might give you some ideas. Plus this guy is awesome haha.

Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

mtguy1976
Rabbit

#3 Postby mtguy1976 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 am

I just did an obstacle race about a month ago, it wasn't the tough mudder but it was hard as hell. My training routine was preatty simple for the run portion.
1 mile run
body weight exercise (pull-ups, push-ups, squats, sit-ups....). Sometimes I would do the run with push-ups and squats other times it was run and pull-ups only.
repeat 4-5 times
You have to find what your weak area is. With these courses, there is lots of pulling, rope climbs those things, so I would focus on pulling exercises if that is a problem. I can't recomend a rep count for you because everyone is different and has limits on there strengths. You need to work on your problem areas in a fatiqued state. My problem was up hill running and thats what I'm going to work on next time. Another good exercise is bear crawls, really burns out your shoulders, arms, legs. Good luck and have fun!

stigaman
Rabbit

#4 Postby stigaman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:17 pm

That guy is awesome, I wish he was my dad. I'm doing the TM in Jersey in November it's all upper body/core strength good luck bro.
Follow me on twitter : @seanbiggavel

jmiller
Finch

#5 Postby jmiller » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 am

Good luck to Scobra & stigaman!!! I would like to run the TM next year. I did the Warrior Dash in NY this past August and it was GREAT! What I learned from the WD, we will train hills. hard. If you 'like' the Spartan Race on Facebook, they post workouts that are pretty intense. For example: warm up, followed with a lot of body weight plyometric exercises, interval runs, etc., end w/ an cool down run. I haven't had the gumption nor time yet to try these workouts but they might help prepare for the TM, too. Again, good luck and hope to hear about your trainings!! :)

Scobra
Rabbit

#6 Postby Scobra » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm

I did the Warrior dash at the end of July, haha. Yeah, I defiantly am going to do a lot of treadmill incline runs since I have no hills in my town. But I think I'll start off by doing some intense circuit training both with running and lifting.
Ps. Fallen_Horse, I saw that video about a month ago and it inspired me to do barefoot running. It's so painful at first cause of the blisters. Totally worth it though, I feel way more free when I run now. I'd highly recommend trying it!

Mrs.Hassett06
Rabbit

#7 Postby Mrs.Hassett06 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:29 pm

I do Spartan races and I follow the WOD (workout of the day) that gets sent to my email. Check out my journal on here or my blog (link on my profile) Im addicted and I cant wait for the beast next year!!!!
*~*~ Embrace the suck ~*~* Spartan chicked ~ we make mud look good <3 http://theroadtothermopylae.com

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”