My new refined routine.

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Cellar Yeti
Gorilla

My new refined routine.

#1 Postby Cellar Yeti » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:09 pm

So I am going to rock the boat here and change my routine. I was getting good results on my old routine, 5 day split, 4x8. But while recovering from LASIK I've been researching a lot and looking over my old logs and I can do better. I've decided I need to cut my volume down. I also noticed that 5 days a week is just one day too much, I need that extra day to recover. I also want to focus more on strength, so by looking at my logs I noticed that my working percentage on 3x8/4x8 was 80%. I feel by going from 5 or 6 lifts 5x a week to 3 lifts 4x a week I can afford to go balls to the wall on one lift per day up to 85% of my 1RM so here is my new minimalism routine focusing partly on strength, and partly on hypertrophy/strength, with isolation exercises I have deemed almost useless removed.

Thanks VeganEssentials for pointing me the right way.

Sunday: Chest/Triceps
Barbell Bench Press 5x5 85% 1RM
Weighted Dips 4x8
Dumbbell Bench Press 4x8

Monday: Rest/HIIT

Tuesday: Shoulders
Barbell Shoulder Press 5x5 85% 1 RM
Lateral Raises 4x10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4x8

Wednesday: Rest/HIIT

Thursday: Back
Deadlifts 5x5 85% 1 RM
Weighted Chinups 4x8
Row Variant 4x8

Friday: Legs
Squats 5x5 85% 1 RM
Stiff Leg Deadift 4x8
Calf Raises 4x10

Saturday: Rest/HIIT
Live cautiously to make it safely to death

chewybaws
Elephant

Re: My new refined routine.

#2 Postby chewybaws » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 am

Solid routine. I would maybe swap the days the shoulder/back workouts are on though, so you're not squatting/stiff leg deadlifting the day after you deadlift. You need your back and hams for them! Also gives maximal time for your upper/lower body to recover before next workout.

EDIT: also how do you plan to load the main exercises? i assume you won't do the same reps at 85% forever

VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus

#3 Postby VeganEssentials » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Agreed with Chewy on that point - if it were me, I'd swap the Tuesday and Thursday sessions to allow more time for recovery on some of the overlapping muscle groups (you'll have more shoulder strength if you don't do them soon after chest/triceps, and more going for legs if you aren't still possibly recovering from the lower back work). Other than that, it's a pretty nice, clean program to try, hope it turns out to work well for you!
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#4 Postby veggiesasquatch » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:07 pm

My usual split is day 1) back/bi 2)shoulders,abs,calves 3)chest/tris 4)legs,calves

If you are dead lifting & free weight squating you shouldn't do them back to back. That's why my three compound movements are spaced out.

All the best
"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”