Is there any merit to 'Stronglifts 5x5' program

Hi Guys and Girls

I have been training for several years using a split routine traing 5 days a week

40 years old, 100kgs

I have recently had a friend encourage me to give this Stronglifts program a go due to the increases he has found and the current plateu I seem to have hit

It does sound to good to be true though - three exercises a session, three days a week

Any help would be appreciated - I am looking to build more mass and brute strength rather than lean definition; although I don't particularly want to put on fat obviously just to gain the mass.

thanks,

Scott

I don't think Stronglifts is suitable for someone who's been training seriously for years. Adding 2.5kg (5lbs) every workout you're going to stall very quickly. Also it encourages you to start with an empty bar on the main exercises (20kg) to learn technique, it's a beginner prog.

More info would be good on what lifts you've been doing. If you're fluent in the powerlifts (squat/bench/deadlift) I'd recommend Madcow 5x5

http://stronglifts.com/madcow/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

I'm not an advanced lifter but I had success with that after Stronglifts.

I have never paid much attention (like all upper body dolts) to the power lifting regiem hence have never put much emphasis on squats and dead lifts (that and years of rugby and football have taken their toll on my knees - and I don't want to risk them)

When I do them now I have used high reps low weights

Squats 3 x 12 x 100kg

Bench 3 x 12 x 95kg

Deadlifts 3 x 12 x 85kg (do all legs in one session - do squats first)

I am afraid if I try switching to a power lifting style I will lose my abs, biceps, and lats - especially if you only train three sessions a weeks with only three exercises?!

Very few powerlifters would only train the 3 lifts (even in stronglifts there are 2 optional assistance exercises each workout that cover lats/biceps/abs). If you do heavy full squats and deadlifts your abs get plenty of work and you'll be wanting at least a days rest between sessions. Powerlifting progs just center around the main lifts and assistance comes afterwards (anything you want really).

When I say heavy I don't mean throw on 50-100kg and start going for 1RM attempts. Knee injuries aren't common with deadlifts and with squats are more common when you don't use a full range of movement. If you were to peak sensibly over a few months from where you are just now on them (start with high reps like you're doing and work to low reps) then there's no reason not to be doing them.