cardio or no cardio? that is the question

klaatu21

My advice would be to hit no cardio to little & then only moderate at 20mins a session.

I switched from running & light weights to just big lifts with no cardio at all & the gains have been amazing. I would advise not to hit any cardio, if your looking to gain as much weight as possible then you shouldn't want to burn any. Yes it's good to keep the fitness topped up but as its winter you can worry over cardio in a few months

That's what I'm unsure of, I have no o e I can ask directly so I'm reading up alot and there's an awful lot of conjecture, I've fallen on the view that if your maintaining the muscle mass you already have then cardio is fine but never straight after lifting. But you can do the two seperTly at different times of the day, but if your trying to gain mass and especially if your trying to gain a significant ammount then cardios a no no. Please put me right if this is false.

tuesday, wednesday, thursday 27km total, splitted in 2 party, (4,5km to get the gym and 4,5km to come back) and then 9km to get to the MA's gym and 9 come back. 18min to get to the first gym, 20-22min then.

In the evening I'm very tired and from the MA's gym to my home it usually takes 25-30min, due to the uphill road.

But the question I'm asking is if I'm trying to slap on the muscle at the moment will cardio impare that?

Well, cardio doesn't help build muscle for the most part, and too much will start to eat into your gains (and also require you to eat more to keep balanced so as to still be able to gain mass and not go into a caloric deficit.) Usually, if you're trying to gain mass, keep the cardio low in time and intensity such as 30 minutes or less of walking with your heart rate around 65% of max (or, REALLY short in time if you're doing high-intensity cardio, like 10 minutes of sprint intervals for 30 seconds or something similar), and you'll be fine. You just don't want to start going for 6 mile runs every day or something similar if you're trying to gain!

• 2 weeks later...

Working with cardiac rehab patients daily.....DO CARDIO! lol... On a serious note though, people tend to ignore the most important muscle of all, your heart. 20-30 minutes of 60-85% APMR is all you need 3x a week for cardiac improvement. As long as you can keep you calories above you daily caloric expenditure, you can still gain weight, increase lean body mass, and keep you ticker pumping affectively. And IF there are any unwanted areas you would like to decrease body fat in, cardio is necessary since there is no such thing as spot reduction. Body fat decrease as a whole. Any other questions please feel free to ask.