new workout plan

klaatu21

A trainer friend of mine drew up this workout plan is it any good? would any one change anything?

LEGS AND SHOULDERS

Squats 3 8-10

Walking lunges weighted 3 10-12

Dumbbell shoulder press 3 8-10

Barbell press behind neck 3 10-12

Lateral raises 3 10-15

Dumbbell shrugs 3 8-10

Upright rows 2 15

CHEST AND TRICEPS

Barbell bench press 3 8-10

Dumbbell chest presses 1 16

Seated dip machine 3 8-10 Progress to standard dips when strong enough to do 6

Dumbbell Fly’s 3 12

Cable crossovers 2 16

single armed over head tricep extensions 2 12

Rope grip cable push downs 2 12

BACK AND BICEPS

Wide grip pullups (assisted) 3 6-8

Reverse Close grip pull downs 3 8-10

Single arm dumbbell bentover rows 2 per side 8-10

Bent over flys 3 10-12

Straight armed Seated row 3 10-15

Barbell Bicep curls 2 12

Dumbbell hammer curls 2 each arm 12

Just my opinion, but,

1. Not much being done for legs, a large muscle group, but far more than necessary for shoulders being a small muscle group that rarely needs that much attention. Would likely suggest ditching the upright rows, I think it'd be better to increase the volume of squat sets by 2-3 total sets, or add in something else like hamstring curls if you want a 3rd exercise that will be complementary. Maybe something more like this:

Squats 5 8-10

Walking lunges OR hamstring curls OR glute/ham raises OR 1-legged Romanian deadlifts, 3 10-12

Dumbbell shoulder press 3 8-10

Standing barbell press in front of neck 3 10-12

Lateral raises 2-3 sets 10-15

Dumbbell shrugs 3 8-10

Here's more along the lines of what I would do myself:

Squats - 5 sets, 5-8 reps

Glute/Hamstring raises - 5 sets, 15-20 reps with weight held in front

Standing overhead barbell press - 5 sets, 5-8 reps

Stading 1-arm DB overhead press - 2-3 sets, 10-12 reps

Barbell or dumbbell shrugs - 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps

I'm not that big on lateral raises and those sort of isolation movements - they never really helped my strength, and when I did them, they didn't seem to add any size on, either. I just stick most times with pressing movements, that's plenty.

2. That's a pretty high volume workout for chest, unless you've been training a long time and have hit a sticking point or feel that you just aren't getting enough chest work, it's probably a bit more than you'd need. You could easily take out the cable crossovers and/or dumbbell flyes and still have plenty in there. Maybe more like this:

Barbell bench press 3 8-10

Dumbbell INCLINE chest presses 3 16

Seated dip machine 2 8-10 Progress to standard dips when strong enough to do 6

Dumbbell Fly’s (optional) 2 12

single armed over head tricep extensions 2 12

Rope grip cable push downs 2 12

Here's more along the lines of how I would typically do a chest/triceps workout -

Barbell flat bench press - 4-5x5-8

Incline barbell or dumbbell bench press - 3x10-12

Close-grip (hands torso width apart) flat bench press - 3x15-20 for triceps work

Rope grip cable push downs - 2-3x15-20 (optional)

Plenty of work in there for chest and triceps without the need for a lot of different lifts.

3. For back, you may want to cut one exercise (probably more there than you need as well), maybe something like this:

Wide grip pullups (assisted) 4 6-8

Single arm dumbbell bentover rows 4 per side 8-10

Barbell deadlift 5 6-8

Bent over flys 3 10-12

Dumbbell hammer curls 3 each arm 12

That way, you'll get some lower back work in as well, and won't just be trying to pound your upper back from every angle, which should yield better results. I do higher volume for upper back work as I've adapted to the load, so I will do something more like this:

Weighted pull-ups - 3x3 w/ 65-80 lbs. added

Barbell rows - 3x6-8

Machine pulldowns or other similar movement - 3x10-12

Rubber cable or band pull-aparts (for rear delt work) - 3x20-30

DB Hammer curl (optional) 2-3x12-15

I don't usually deadlift and do upper back together (too much for me in one day, both tax me heavily), but for most people, it will fit in fine with other upper back work

Just remember, it's quality over quantity. Training for a shorter time but hard, intense "give-it-everything-you-have-to-give" workouts where you KNOW you're going all-out will pretty well always do more good for you than marathon training sessions where you're simply putting in moderate effort just to make it through the whole thing. And typically, there's very little reason to have to do something like 5 exercises for a body part unless you're either working toward a competition and need to bring up a lagging area, or unless you've been in a training rut for a long time and are just wanting to try more volume. Keep it simple, keep with compound lifts first and foremost, build that base up, and change when things get stale!