Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: When do you do your deadlifts?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:29 pm 
Manatee

I love having squats in my program but I have yet to figure out where to squeeze in deadlifts. Since deadlifts hit back as well as legs, it creates a problem for me. I get the best results working each body part once a week and I don't like working legs the same day I work back. See my problem? I also don't like to train squats and deadlifts the same workout, but the few times I did, my back was very sore and I didn;t want to do then do back two days later.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: When do you do your deadlifts?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:00 pm 
Rabbit

I do deadlifts on Monday and squats on Friday. Gives me 2-3 days between them and I do chest on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:32 am 
Gorilla

I do a power/hypertrophy split currently but, since you don't like doing squats and deads on the same day, that's probably not what you're looking for.

Perhaps you could incorporate them with bent over rows as those hit the back as well - I did that for a while over the summer and it worked out decently.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:41 pm 
Manatee

I will have to play around with different scenarios. When I try to do reads on Monday after squats, my legs shake terribly. Then my upper back can be really sore on Wednesday which messes up my Wednesday workout. I tried bent rows one program right after deadlifts and I hurt my lower back because my thighs were so spent by the time I did bent rows. I find for squats, deads or heavy rows, my legs and back need to be fresh so it is tough to do any of them the same day. One thing that may work is right now I am doing squats on Monday so I can do stiff legged deadlifts Wednesday which is back day. I say that because my hams are never that sore after Monday squats, it is always my quads that get blasted, so my hams seem ready. I will just avoid barbell bent rows during this program.
Thanks everyone for listening.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:33 pm 
Elephant

I'm doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 so deads have their own day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:04 pm 
Gorilla

boardn10 wrote:
I will have to play around with different scenarios. When I try to do reads on Monday after squats, my legs shake terribly. Then my upper back can be really sore on Wednesday which messes up my Wednesday workout. I tried bent rows one program right after deadlifts and I hurt my lower back because my thighs were so spent by the time I did bent rows. I find for squats, deads or heavy rows, my legs and back need to be fresh so it is tough to do any of them the same day. One thing that may work is right now I am doing squats on Monday so I can do stiff legged deadlifts Wednesday which is back day. I say that because my hams are never that sore after Monday squats, it is always my quads that get blasted, so my hams seem ready. I will just avoid barbell bent rows during this program.
Thanks everyone for listening.

No problem, mate. Let us know how this set-up works for you. I also find altering which lift I do first has a huge impact on my gains - for whatever reason, my first one's always cold and hitting PRs with it is difficult. By the second one, though, I'm pretty on point. So, for one week, I'll do rows first, the next I'll do OHP, etc. Definitely helps me out.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:35 pm 
Stegosaurus

As always, I've kept squats and deads with at leats 2 days off between, sometimes 3-4 days off between. If I do one heavy, the other will suffer, the only way I've been able to do both on the same day is if I'm doing speed doubles or REALLY low volume with 85% or less of my max.

My lower back gets taxed with either one, so no way I can work them too closely together.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:13 am 
Manatee

VeganEssentials wrote:
As always, I've kept squats and deads with at leats 2 days off between, sometimes 3-4 days off between. If I do one heavy, the other will suffer, the only way I've been able to do both on the same day is if I'm doing speed doubles or REALLY low volume with 85% or less of my max.

My lower back gets taxed with either one, so no way I can work them too closely together.

Me too. I might have to combine Back day with deadlifts. If I do rows first, I might be good to do deadlifts second in my workout.

Post subject: When do you do your deadlifts?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 am 
Manatee

Squats Monday, Deadlifts Friday.

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 am 
Manatee

I did a little test this week. Monday I did heavy squats and deadlifts and I was fine!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:15 pm 
Manatee

i only deadlift

one day i might add squat

i deadlift every 96 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 am 
Manatee

I am talking about stiff legged dead lifts to hit the hams. So now I am doing squats and stiff legged deads the same day. I used to do full deadlifts on alternating weeks with squats.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:38 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

I do them once a week, uaually in the middle of the week.

MON: SQUATS
TUE: BENCH
WED: DL or DL VARIATION
THU: REST
FRI: LEGS w SQUAT VARIATION
SAT: CHEST w BENCH VARIATION
SUN: ASSISTANCE & ANCILLARY WORK

I rotate that training cycle like this:

WEEK 1: Light (working at 70% max)
WEEK 2: Medium (working at 80% max)
WEEK 3: Heavy (working at 90-100% max)
WEEK 4: Deload

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:40 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

boardn10 wrote:
I am talking about stiff legged dead lifts to hit the hams. So now I am doing squats and stiff legged deads the same day.

That's fine :)

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm 
Elephant

Right now I do heavy squats monday, heavy front squats wednesday and light squats and deadlifts on a Friday. I pretty much do full body 3x/week though so it's not much use to you if you're trying to do bodyparts once a week.