Left Leg Issues - Foot Tingling

I'm new to training and I'm getting into the habit of things with 3 days cardio/3 days strength.

I do a varied walk/climb on the treadmill for 30 minutes on the cardio days.

Recently, my left foot has been tingling like its almost falling asleep about half-way through the workout. At first I thought it might be my shoes (they are new running shoes), so I loosened the laces a bit and put in arch inserts that were in my old shoes, this didn't seem to help. I don't even know if its the proper insert for me. In fact, now my heal is tender to walk on, because I think I was favoring it and walking on the ball of my foot too much, putting strain on the muscle that runs down the arch.

In addition, the top of my left hamstring is acting up (not when I'm exercising), it would tweak, like a crick in your neck would, but in my glute area. Then it would be sore when I would sit, and just ache. It feels good to walk, but my darn foot bugs me.

Even as I sit here now, my left foot is slightly tingling because it seems when I sit, there is a lot of pressure on my hamstring, so I've been trying to keep my leg up.

My left side is incredibly weak compared to my right and my hip pops a lot, too. Researching the internet has come up with a ton of possibilities - neuroma, tarsal tunnel syndrome, metatarsalgia, and diabetes. I know I don't have diabetes, but I'm lost. If it does continue to affect my workouts I will have to see the doctor, but does anyone have any experience with this? It's such a pain.

Hi regal renegade,

It might be worth seeing your Dr sooner rather than later. He/she will be able to run some simple stretching tests to make sure it isn't sciatic nerve problems.

I had similar symptoms which gradually got worse and then needed surgery to remove a disc that was causing pressure on my sciatic nerve.

I am not saying this is what is wrong with you but muscle weakness or imbalances can create similar symptoms as well so treatment can be as simple as incorporating physiotherapy exercises designed to strengthen the core and stretch out the nerves.

It's not a good idea to seek out answers on the Internet and then try to self diagnose so please go see your Dr for professional advice and train carefully and smart until you have a professional diagnoses.

I hope this helps but I found out the hard way and would not wish the pain I went through on anybody else.

Doug